War on Sugar?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is that bonus worth it with the risk of cardio-vascular disease, cancer and reduced quality of life (short breath, impotence)?

Especially when the reduced risk of Alzheimer's seems to be questionable - reviews have found that if you set aside studies funded by the tobacco industry, nicotine seems to increase risk, rather than reduce it. This isn't proof, but it suggests that the jury's still out on the matter.

Ahnehnois

First Post
How many do you know?
Have close personal relationships with, or see on the streets? It's a pretty debilitating addiction; I don't think that's terribly controversial. As with all addictions, there are some high-functioning people (and many people who can use without becoming addicted), but this is some nasty stuff.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Have close personal relationships with, or see on the streets? It's a pretty debilitating addiction; I don't think that's terribly controversial. As with all addictions, there are some high-functioning people (and many people who can use without becoming addicted), but this is some nasty stuff.

I was just curious as to how you came to your beliefs is all. 'Hearsay' is a reason, I suppose.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I was just curious as to how you came to your beliefs is all.
Working at a lab studying addiction. And through my education. Since you asked.
I do tend to post in these health-related threads because it is what I know.

I'm not sure what your angle is on this; I'm not trying to say anything other than that this particular drug tends to cause really debilitating and widespread effects in many people and is not a joke.

Last edited:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Working at a lab studying addiction. And through my education. Since you asked.
I do tend to post in these health-related threads because it is what I know.

I'm not sure what your angle is on this; I'm not trying to say anything other than that this particular drug tends to cause really debilitating and widespread effects in many people and is not a joke.

You took a shot at folks suffering from heroin addiction and made a pretty nasty blanket statement in the process. If all you wanted to say was that heroin is a really bad drug, that's probably what you should have said. Considering you're telling me that this is something you've been educated about, well, I would assume that's something you should have known.

The best way to communicate that something is 'no joke' is to not make jokes about it.

Ahnehnois

First Post
You took a shot at folks suffering from heroin addiction and made a pretty nasty blanket statement in the process.
Not what I intended. I don't equate describing personal neglect to those things. I guess if you want to infer that from a two-line message board post, you can. To be fair, maybe I wasn't clear.

Remove ads