War on Sugar?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Not what I intended. I don't equate describing personal neglect to those things. I guess if you want to infer that from a two-line message board post, you can. To be fair, maybe I wasn't clear.

You went a little beyond personal neglect ('more pleasant'). Sarcasm tends to be, well, mean. It adds a tone that maybe you didn't intend.

Ahnehnois

First Post
You went a little beyond personal neglect ('more pleasant'). Sarcasm tends to be, well, mean. It adds a tone that maybe you didn't intend.
Frankly, there's probably a disconnect in tone between people in the business and laypeople (which I'm assuming you are). The kind of tone that these kinds of things get discussed in behind the scenes by doctors and researchers often carries a pretty hefty dose of black humor. People get desensitized to these things after listening to it for a while. If you're suggesting that I shouldn't make the same comment to someone who's actually using, you're right.

In context, the intent was to convey that just because a particular substance doesn't leave a distinctive smell on one's breath doesn't mean that it can't cause significant and readily apparent harm.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Frankly, there's probably a disconnect in tone between people in the business and laypeople (which I'm assuming you are). The kind of tone that these kinds of things get discussed in behind the scenes by doctors and researchers often carries a pretty hefty dose of black humor. People get desensitized to these things after listening to it for a while. If you're suggesting that I shouldn't make the same comment to someone who's actually using, you're right.

In context, the intent was to convey that just because a particular substance doesn't leave a distinctive smell on one's breath doesn't mean that it can't cause significant and readily apparent harm.

Fair enough. I would, however, suggest amending 'If you're suggesting that I shouldn't make the same comment to someone who's actually using, you're right' to 'If you're suggesting that I shouldn't make the same comment to someone not in the business, you're right'. If there's a different approach to conversationally addressing these things that amounts to jargon, it's probably a good idea to confine discussions of that type to those 'in the know'.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Fair enough. I would, however, suggest amending 'If you're suggesting that I shouldn't make the same comment to someone who's actually using, you're right' to 'If you're suggesting that I shouldn't make the same comment to someone not in the business, you're right'. If there's a different approach to conversationally addressing these things that amounts to jargon, it's probably a good idea to confine discussions of that type to those 'in the know'.
You're probably right; it's just one quick comment that I made without thinking a whole lot about it.

jasper

Rotten DM
Yeah, anyone remember "new coke" in the 80s? A drink everyone hated, so coke cola brought back "classic coke" and later just coke? But they neglected to advertise that they weren't using sugar anymore, but corn syrup. (in fact, they kept saying it was the original formula, which was laughable, as the original formula contained opiates) Wasn't that nice? The "New Coke" was just something to distract people from the fact they were changing a principle ingredient, and keep them from noticing the taste change. (in theory)

And the company decrease the carbonation. But while new coke was failing I could get a case of coke for under 2.50. Made buying coke 4 rum and coke cheap.

Remove ads