D&D 5E 5E imbalance: Don't want to play it

Game balance. Heh. What a joke. After all these years if you haven't figured out that rpg game balance is something for the participants to figure out for themselves, then you might forever end up chasing that phantom holy grail.

If I refused to play any rpg that wasn't balanced to six decimal places then I wouldn't get to game that much. I suspect 5E will be much like any other edition in this regard, so I will probably play it if a game is offered and the company is good.

R

RevTurkey

I want to at least TRY it before I decide if I like it or not.

It hasn't been released yet :)

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
This thread feels a little close to edition warring: complaining without offering constructive criticism or useful feedback.

Really, my big problem with 5e is monster math. Monsters are just not a threat and you can fight monsters of much higher level without difficulty.
We'll see if they can fix that (and fix it across all levels), which is the big test.

No sorry. I'm not comparing 5E to any edition or insulting it. I'm pointing out its flaws which IS constructive criticism.

I agree with the monster math. When a Fighter half the level of Asmodeus can kill him by going nova in 1-2 rounds, there is a problem.

I think you're looking for reasons to dislike a game before you try it. A better route would be to tell us why you don't like it, or what you think you don't like about it.

No, sorry. I looked forward to a game that would be better than all previous editions that would allow me to play the game with my play style, unfortunately everything we've seen or read points to a return to the problems of previous editions with no real improvements. If they announced tommorrow that the tactics module would allow classes to trade out class features interesting choices that could be made during level up and during play each round, I would be excited and look forward to the game. They haven't, so I'm not.

My goal here is a last ditch effort to get the developers to see the things that will make people not want to buy their game. I see that as a completely valid strategy.

That said, my D&D Next campaign is 8th level, and I've found no glaring imbalances. DDN is miles more balanced than 3.5.

But much less balanced than 4E.

This criticism can be applied to all editions of D&D, except maybe 4th. Are you looking for melee characters with a multitude of powers spelled out and hardcoded into the class? If so, I'd suggest playing 4e.

Why does everyone assume that if someone wants a balanced game that they want a 4E clone? I'd be perfectly happy with a game that was nothing like 4E, but gave the players interesting balanced choices at level up and during play, something we aren't seeing in 5E.

For me, the Improvise action covers just about everything you'd want to do as a melee character. Plus I expect fleshed out rules on the classic combat maneuvers like trip, disarm, sunder, bull rush, etc.

This is available in every edition of D&D and even has balanced rules in 4E (DMG page 42). This is not a unique feature of 5E and its certainly not done in the best way (though it is done better than 3.5E).

This is probably true in a sense, but what you call imbalance I call freedom to improvise and real feeling of unexpected chance and danger.

Sorry, no. You can improvise in every edition of D&D and 'real' danger can exist in every edition. Some editons point out what should be an easy, medium, or hard challenge for a group of players, but they never say you can't throw a Dragon that is level +10 at them.

None that leave me with a desire not to play it, but I can tell what you're fishing for here, so here's one: Wizards can indeed end an encounter quickly if they choose to expend one or more of their best spells. There is a little bit of 'Save or Lose' in D&D Next, but it's less severe and doesn't feel like a cheap 'I win' button as in editions past.

Many of the spells end up being save or die especially with the saving throw values and hit point scores in the bestiary. I mean a fireball can clear an encounter of orcs or goblins which supposedly will remain a challenge in larger numbers as you level.

I agree. It feels like a "I've decided 5e will suck because it's not 4e..." thread. If you like 4e and it's number of options for powers, feats, etc, keep playing it. Once 5e comes out and some of the tactical and other modules that are supposed to give it more of a 4e feel then give them a try if you like.

Again, don't assume my motivations or attribute things to me. I've already explained my purpose for this thread and it isn't 4.75E. The modules they talked about don't sound appealing in the least and they've shown that they don't understand what 4E fans wanted in the first place, so even if I wanted a new 4E, they wouldn't be able to deliver it based on their feedback so far.

Not true - there are now complex fighters & simple mages.

Please drop this idle speculation unless you're looking at the latest documents.

So getting 1-2 'maneuvers' compares to choosing from your level of spells each day to prepare and then choosing from those spells that are prepared to cast on any given round? I don't agree.

I'm looking at the latest documents as well as reading the latest articles and there is no indication that these things are going to be changed in the final release. So its not 'idle speculation'.

Other than a desire for a sorcerer and warlock (both arguably less complex), I have yet to see a single playtest report that complained that in actual play they found the mage or cleric too complex. Have your seen such playtest report complaints?

They are plastered all over the WotC forums asking what the rules mean for casters and how spell preparation works and things like that.

I'm in the military and very aware that fighting is incredibly complex; much more complex than the D&D can accurately model, in fact. I'm also not saying I don't want some crunchy options for combat focused PCs. The problem I have is when you start chasing the nebulous concept of balance. I don't want to end up with homogeony(sp?) in the name of equality.

Every time balance comes up someone makes the assumption that balance equals homogeneity.This is simply not true. What balance we have in 5E is not homogenous at all. I simply want the ability to play a balanced game and not have to change my DM style or put in extra time to make one or more classes play equally at my table. I really don't think its too much to ask.

Cybit

First Post
You are looking at the latest open playtest documents, not the latest playtest documents.

Big difference there. :)

Also, as it has been mentioned and linked many times, they have confirmed tactical options. (See: Legends and Lore)

R

RevTurkey

C'mon Lokiare...give 5e a chance.

I bet it is going to be a great game!

Despite having issues myself with certain elements of the Public play test...I am looking forward to buying 5e....We should be excited by the prospect of a new edition. I am :)

Wyckedemus

Explorer
What are some of the imbalances in 5E that leave you with the desire not to convert or play it?

For me its the flexibility of casters over non-casters and if you want to play a complex character you are forced to play a caster. If you want to play a simple character you are forced to grab a non-caster.

The imbalance is somewhere between 3.5E and 4E. Its more balanced than 3.5E, but much less balanced than 4E.

What are some of the imbalances in 5E that leave you with the desire not to covert or play it?

To be honest, I haven't seen all this incredible amount of "imbalance" you're seeing. At least not at dealbreaker levels. There are some things that are a little off that they are working through, but I have confidence that they'll work out the kinks. The one thing that they need to fix for me is monster math. I'm looking forward to seeing how bounded accuracy works at higher levels once they have the monster math figured out. I can actually see the happy middleground that is within their reach to deliver. So I'm not worried. Keep in mind that we haven't seen the final rules. (Things members of my group disagree on are things like whether monsters like golems should have serious immunities, making some classes less useful in a fight.)

Here's what I can say about the current class design. Everyone's contribution feels equitable. Everyone in my group is enjoying their classes. The guy that likes wizards, likes the 5E wizard. The guy playing a fighter feels like he's kicking tail as a fighter (and as a sergeant in the town militia, he's also an influential personality despite not having a high Charisma). I'm playing a Life cleric, and I'm really enjoying it. I don't feel like a one-trick pony healbot which is nice. We as a group get through 4 encounters without a short rest. In contrast, in 4E, the group demanded a short rest (and a long rest) as often as possible. It was so weird to take so many 10 minute breaks in the context of a story that is supposed to be clipping along. With 5E we haven't been playing that way. The game allows us to take breaks as the story demands.

I think that it is good that classes are different, with different strengths. Being reliable throughout the day with moderate flexibility (Fighter or Rogue) is just as valid as being very flexible on a day to day basis with less reliability (Wizard and Cleric). You don't always have the time or luxury to switch out class abilities (preparing spells), but it is nice that some classes have that flexibility when time allows. But what that flexibility really represents is a source of story progression that if the party didn't have it, they'd find another way around, or the DM would otherwise make the story work. So it is nice, but not broken.

I don't want the fighter to be pigeon-holed into a power/spell-based class that can only prepare a certain number of maneuvers a day. The guy knows what he knows, and it doesn't make sense otherwise.

I playtested 4E and played it through its entire lifetime, through all of last year. I even ran two epic campaigns. According to my experience and anecdotal evidence, it is not "more balanced" than 5E. What it has is "forced symmetry" between classes, which is something I think many mistake as balance. Not all the powers at their appropriate levels were created equal, and as CharOp proved, there were so many busted options vs. trap options, mingled with the levels of system mastery, that all classes did *not* have the parity that many claim. Heck, there were so many complaints and arguments about those balance discrepancies in the forums. In my 4E group, the 30th level goliath Battlemind had an AC 63 (before his enemies took accuracy penalties for other reasons) and he attacked 4 times, dealing 25 damage on a miss for each one. The changeling rogue had an AC of 44 and did maybe 40 damage on an average round (maybe 120 on a crit?) but nothing on a miss. That isn't balance.

What I see in D&D Next/5E is that the classes are quite good at what they are supposed to be good at, and they are *NOT* supposed to be the primary source of abilities outside the classes' specialties. The Backgrounds/Proficiencies/Skills/Abilities system bears a lot of the weight of exploration and interaction, and that is perfectly fine by me. And it's OK for some classes that have traditionally been experts at some interaction and exploration to have some of those abilities in their class. But not all classes need to be shoehorned into needing the exact same number of abilities in each of the pillars. It feels forced and blatantly unnatural.

I believe we will see more options for the classes, and more options for certain class abilities. Though I have no illusions or expectations that the Devs should be required to run every ability and design decision past the players.

... in my opinion.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
You are looking at the latest open playtest documents, not the latest playtest documents.

Big difference there.

Also, as it has been mentioned and linked many times, they have confirmed tactical options. (See: Legends and Lore)

{sarcasm}You're totally right. 'Facing' is huge part of tactics and not at all tedius or pointless.{/sarcasm}

In order to add tactics to the game they would have to redesign each class and monster from the ground up along with a good chunk of the 'how to play' rules. I have no confidence based on what they've said that they'll be able to produce a decent tactical module.

C'mon Lokiare...give 5e a chance.

I bet it is going to be a great game!

Despite having issues myself with certain elements of the Public play test...I am looking forward to buying 5e....We should be excited by the prospect of a new edition. I am

I'm as "excited!" as someone that's just been told they're awesome ferrari rental car is now being exchanged for a cadilac. Some people might not mind, but others mind quite a lot.

Cybit

First Post
What makes you think I'm talking about facing? ;)

As for the redesigning classes from the ground up, etc...I can definitively say that is not true. ;)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For me its the {mechanical} flexibility of casters over non-casters and if you want to play a {mechanically} complex character you are forced to play a caster. If you want to play a {mechanically} simple character you are forced to grab a non-caster.
Please note my bolded additions to the quote above.

Also please note there is (or should be) much more to a character than just its rule-based game mechanics.

A mechanically-simple fighter can be as complex a character as you want it to be. Just role-play it that way.

Lan-"simple? who's calling me simple?"-efan

R

RevTurkey

Lokiare you seem negative :(

If you really like the mechanics of an edition that already exists...go play it. If you need to make adjustments....make them. If you want to steal ideas and material from other games...go grab whatvere you want. A new version of Dungeons & Dragons just gives us more to choose from to make up whatever our imaginations can conjure. It's fun! C'mon enjoy yourself and just play :)

Remove ads