D&D (2024) 5E Rebuild (an alternate take on OneDnD) [+]

Yaarel

He Mage
Yep - that is, in fact, exactly the rhythm of a tier, with tier 1 as the sole exception (swapping subclass and class specialization, so that the first subclass level can happen after the class has all the necessary prerequisites to use it)
Yeah. The more I look at it, the better I like it:

Level 1 − Class basics, Proficiency improvement
Level 2 − Subclass
Level 3 − Class specialization
Level 4 − Feat

Yaarel

He Mage
Also, since I'm riffing on 4E's "role and power source" thing (with 'power source' renamed to 'alignment'), another way to put the rhythm would be:

Level 1 - Role-flavored features
Level 2 - Subclass Stuff
Level 3 - Alignment-flavored features
Level 4 - Feat
Ah. I have to think about that but I get where you are coming from. Your avatar looks to me like: Primal versus Arcane.

The 4e roles felt off to me. A stronger aspect is the correlation between role and target.
• Defender ≈ melee multi target
• Striker ≈ melee single target
Controller Blaster ≈ range multi target
Leader Troubleshooter ≈ range single target

So a healer who is a troubleshooter can watch over the entire battlefield, and when seeing an ally dwindle, do a big boost to shore up the health. An archer who is a troubleshooter can help focus fire on the opponent of the embattled ally.

Wizard who is a Blaster can cast a wall to keep away hostiles, but the concept is, the Blaster is targeting and taking out multiple targets at range.

And so on.

Ah. I have to think about that but I get where you are coming from. Your avatar looks to me like: Primal versus Arcane.

The 4e roles felt off to me. A stronger aspect is the correlation between role and target.
• Defender ≈ melee multi target
• Striker ≈ melee single target
Controller Blaster ≈ range multi target
Leader Troubleshooter ≈ range single target

So a healer who is a troubleshooter can watchover the entire battlefield, and when seeing an ally dwindle, to a big boost to shore up their health. An archer who is a troubleshooter can help focus fire on the opponent of the embattled ally.

Wizard who is a Blaster can cast a wall to keep away hostiles, but the concept is, the Blaster is targeting and taking out multiple targets at range.

And so on.
Yes, but it made more sense for me to focus Roles on narrative role rather than mechanical role.

Therefore Warrior, Expert, and Mage.

This gives me the following (Role x Alignment) grid:

Yes, but it made more sense for me to focus Roles on narrative role rather than mechanical role.

Therefore Warrior, Expert, and Mage.

This gives me the following (Role x Alignment) grid:
Mechanically, Warriors all get "Full BAB", Extra Attacks, Fighting Styles, and fighting-related features; Experts all get Expertise and skill-related features; Mages all get "Full Casting" and magic-related features.

These three seem nonparallel.

Warrior + Mage = Combat Pillar
Expert = Exploration Pillar + Social Pillar

Im not seeing the grid.
Lemme try this:

classes.png

Yaarel

He Mage
The mage warrior is definitely the Swordmage!

Hypothetical brainstorm, it is quadrants?

(Mage v Warrior) x (Socializer v Explorer)

Perhaps "Gish" is midpoint between Mage and Warrior. Expert is midpoint between Socializer v Explorer

Wizard is exploration mage.
Bard is social mage.
Cleric is social gish.
Druid is explorer gish.

And so on.

But. I view the Swordmage as a fullcaster who casts melee-range spells in melee combat. It doesnt do "sword" damage, but spell damage. It is hard to define in Mage v Warrior, because it is fully both.

So in general, yes, Warriors are Combat+, Experts are Exploration+/Social+, and Mages are "let me check which spells I prepared today".

But the Eldritch and Divine casters and warriors, for example, have a good amount of Social moxie, and the Cleric, Druid and Sage have impressive non-spellcasting exploration chops (Wild Shape alone is an absurdly powerful Exploration-pillar tool, for example).

Yaarel

He Mage
But the Eldritch and Divine casters and warriors, for example, have a good amount of Social moxie, and the Cleric, Druid and Sage have impressive non-spellcasting exploration chops (Wild Shape alone is an absurdly powerful Exploration-pillar tool, for example).
By eldritch, to you mean aberration?

Remove ads