A business/industry you would not work in?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Assuming you aren't in desperate circumstances -- need *any* job for money to support a family, or something -- is there a business or industry you absolutely wouldn't work in? I don't mean a job you wouldn't do, but the overall business/industry. I'm not asking if you wouldn't flip burgers, but rather you wouldn't do any job in the fastfood industry. Etc.

I work in an industry within the "military industrial complex". So when we interview candidates for a job here, we always make sure they're okay with what we do.

Bullgrit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Prostitution or drugs.;)

I don't think I belong in any job where I need to carry a firearm, for many reasons.

Nothing involving heights, either.

Within my own fields of expertise, I couldn't be a criminal defense attorney. Not because of the shady rep, but because of the mental stress the job puts on you.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
I don't think I belong in any job where I need to carry a firearm, for many reasons.

Nothing involving heights, either.
I'm not talking about jobs, but business/industry. Like, would you work in the law enforcement industry even though front-line officers carry firearms?

Prostitution or drugs.
Well, I assumed we'd all avoid criminal industries. :)

Within my own fields of expertise, I couldn't be a criminal defense attorney. Not because of the shady rep, but because of the mental stress the job puts on you.
But would you be comfortable working within the criminal defense business?

Bullgrit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let me restate- I don't have any objections to the weapons or jobs themselves, but if my job requires weapons training, I should not be in that job.

SO

Law enforcement on the civilian admin side would be fine. Enlisting in the Armed Forces would be problematic.

As for Criminal Defense as a business it really depends on how broadly you define it, but in general, I don't want any more part of it than I had. A brief stint in the Dallas Public Defender's office convinced me of that. Too high stress. The stakes are too high, win or lose, guilty or innocent for both client and society.

Janx

Hero
But would you be comfortable working within the criminal defense business?

Bullgrit

I think the complication to that is some of us are positioned such that while we get "not flipping burgers" we'd be doing what we do in that industry or not.

For Danny, as a Lawyer, "criminal defense business" means being a criminal defense lawyer specifically.

I'm a software developer. I probably am the model person for your exercise.

I write code used by lawyers
I write code used by places that sell coffee with too much milk
I write code used by places that get you medical services
I write code that helps servers be tested better

I can technically work in any industry. I've worked in a few.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think there are any I'd specifically avoid. I think I'd be more concerned about unethical or exploitative practices, but these would be company specific rather than industry-wide, I'd imagine.

Derren

Hero
Apart from the usual suspects like crime, etc. the game industry because there you will likely have to work more and get paid less than in other industries for the same kind of work.

Ahnehnois

First Post
There are a lot of fairly broad types of jobs I wouldn't do, but I don't know that I can rule out an entire industry.

After all, I'm a pacifist who works as a contractor, and most of my contracts come from the DoD. If you asked me whether I'd ever join the armed forces or work on any kind of weapons research, I'd say no. But an entire industry is a pretty big envelope.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
A couple I've done but would never do again (god willing):

Fast food - Nothing in my life was as draining and enraging as working fast food was. And it's got a pretty big part of my number one no-no in it, too.

Factory work - I honestly didn't mind the work but I hated it enough to be the perfect worker. In other words, I was great at what I did but hated being there so I'd do everything in my power to get the job done before it needed to be done. The reason I'll avoid it at all costs is the danger. I have a lot of scars from that place but got off easy. I saw people maimed (fingers lost, surgery requiring injuries) and a year after I left a 21 year old kid died on the shop floor. F that noise.

Customer service - This really falls into pretty much every job but anything that places a focus on customer interaction isn't for me. I can handle internal customers (other departments, etc) but not external. Er, I'm awesome at pretending to care but I hate myself when I have to deal with customers. For whatever reason I can suppress that when it's internal, though. That's a good thing since I'll always have to deal with internal customers.

Remove ads