Low-Level Game, Newbies Welcome! [Closed]

RMcCall

Explorer
I'm looking to get back into the D&D swing again, but since real people are hard to gather in a single room regularly, I thought I'd try the internet. I know 4th edition does not lend itself to PBP very well, especially since I enjoy running combats as much as roleplaying, but I thought it would be worth a shot. To alleviate the slowness of PBP, though, I thought we could occasionally venture into using Roll20.net, a free online shared tabletop with video chat. We would use it when appropriate, for combats with complicated map elements or roleplaying scenes that require voice-to-voice interaction. Any player interested in 4e is welcome, even newbies. I will be using some homebrew rules, such as injuries from Unearthed Arcana, but it should largely match the core roles in the current updates. The actual game will start out as an old-fashioned dungeon crawl in my homemade setting of Calemor, and we'll see where it takes us from there; I don't have any big plot ideas at the moment, but am welcome to suggestions! I will plan to post once or twice per 24 hours, with notice if I need to skip any days, and I would expect players to do the same. If this all sounds fine by you, take a look at the details below.

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition
Campaign Title: Explorers of Calemor
Numbers of Players: 5
Genre: Dungeon Crawl (33% Combat, 33% Exploration, 33% Roleplay)

Character Generation
Starting Level: 1-5 (to be chosen by players)
Ability Scores: 22 Point Buy
Wealth: Calemor uses a silver standard, so use the following conversion rules from the books: Copper -> Iron, Silver -> Copper, Gold -> Silver, Platinum -> Gold, Astral Diamond -> Platinum. If we start at level 1, you start with 100 silver pieces, which is the same as starting with 100 gold in regular settings.
Allowed Content: Any Books, Dragon & Dungeon Magazine (I have most but my subscription ran out), Homebrew (if approved or created by me); certain races and classes are rare or distrusted, see the setting description below.
Background: While "dungeon crawl" does not evoke an image of intense roleplaying, I would like the opportunity to be present, so please give your character a personality and a background. Choose a Theme from any source that can fit your character, or consult me to create one for you if you can't find a good one.
Alignment: Not Strict (i.e., roleplaying comes first, but you can label yourself whatever you want)

Choose whatever race/class/theme you want, and I'll work with you to make sure it fits the campaign world. If you're curious, I've written a summary below of the current state of the world, particularly how common certain races and power sources are.

[SBLOCK=Setting]Calemor is the name given to the world on which the mortals live, over which the gods keep close watch, around which countless other realms exist, and through which magic of all kinds flows. Currently, the world is in a state of ruin, with the largest civilizations being no bigger than alliances between city-states that have built walls to keep out the encroaching wilderness. A shared culture exists throughout the entire mortal world, except in small pockets, so almost all intelligent creatures understand and speak the Common tongue. However, racial tensions abound due to old grudges, conflicts of religion, and misunderstandings. Most communities either struggle to survive or have hoarded large amounts of food, goods, and wealth to themselves. However, the world is covered in vast amounts of ruins from ancient civilizations, so adventuring is the best chance a person of skill has to make a living, if they do not mind the high mortality rate.

Martial, arcane, and divine magic are well known and generally trusted. However, institutions dedicated to their study are very rare, making arcane classes somewhat harder to come by. Divine characters typically worship one of the Nine greater gods, as the gods are known to take active interests in mortal affairs from time to time. Shadow magic is also common, but greatly mistrusted by your average commoner. Primal magic has just begun to emerge, and so it is both not very common and slightly mistrusted due to being misunderstood as possession by evil spirits. Elemental magic is also not very common, since the elemental realm is usually either misunderstood or not even known to exist as the elementals keep to themselves; users of elemental magic tend to experience resistance from elementals, though (this does not include arcane evocation spells unless the source is explicitly from the elemental realm). Psionic magic is extremely rare, and only exists on a case-by-case basis.

Races
Extremely Common - Everyone has met one and you'll be treated as an average person except in rare cases
Very Common - Some individuals or organizations harbor prejudices of you, but for the most part you won't notice
Common - Most people know your kind, but would be surprised if you don't fit their preconceptions
Uncommon - Some people have not heard of you, but those that have will be surprised if you are not exactly like their preconceptions
Rare - Most people have not met your kind, so you are regularly treated with mistrust unless you can pass as another race
Very Rare - Unless you pass as another race, you will probably be met with extreme reactions such as shock, fear, or hatred

Humans - Extremely Common
Halfling - Very Common, can pass as human child
Half-Elves - Very Common, even having their own communities, can pass as human if ears are concealed
Half-Orcs - Very Common, even having their own communities, can pass as human in dim light
Dwarves - Common, expected to be prudish and good
Wood Elves (Elf) - Common, expected to be boisterous and wild
Gnome - Common, expected to be gentle and jolly
Dragonborn - Common, many various expectations
Warforged - Common, expected to be unemotional and militaristic
Orcs - Common, expected to be militaristic and evil
Kobolds - Common, expected to be greedy and evil
Goblins (Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear) - Common, expected to be violent and evil
High Elves (Eladrin) - Uncommon, expected to be pompous and magical, can pass as wood elves
Half-Dwarves (Mul) - Uncommon, can pass as humans or dwarves
Half-Giants (Goliath) - Uncommon, expected to be dumb and barbaric, can pass as large humans
Devilborn (Tiefling) - Uncommon, expected to be greedy and manipulative
Angelborn (Deva) - Uncommon, expected to be good but pompous
Changeling - Uncommon, expected to be mischievous and dangerous
Shadowborn (Shadar-Kai) - Uncommon, expected to be greedy and manipulative
Gnolls - Uncommon, expected to be barbaric and selfish
Frogfolk (Bullywug) - Uncommon, expected to be barbaric and slovenly
Beastborn (Shifter) - Rare, expected to be violent and barbaric
Satyrs - Rare, generally lazy and wild
Shades - Rare, expected to be evil and dangerous, can pass as humans in very dim light
Minotaurs - Rare, expected to be violent and dangerous
Birdfolk (Kenku) - Rare, generally isolationist and greedy
Plantborn (Wilden) - Rare, due to special circumstances needed for creation
Dryads (Hamadryad) - Rare, due to minimal prevalence of primal spirits
Dark Elves (Drow) - Very Rare, generally evil and wild
Dark Dwarves (Duergar) - Very Rare, generally evil and militaristic
Dark Gnomes (Svirfneblin) - Very Rare, generally evil and isolationist
Elementalborn (Genasi) - Very Rare, due to limited mortal contact with the elemental realm
Dreamborn (Kalashtar) - Very Rare, due to limited mortal contact with the dream realm
Faeries (Pixie) - Very Rare, generally mischievous and nonsensical
Bloodborn (Vryloka) - Very Rare, generally selfish and evil, can pass as humans easily
Revenants - Very Rare, due to special circumstances needed for creation
Bugfolk (Thri-Kreen) - Very Rare, generally isolationist and barbaric
Starborn (Githyanki, Githzerai) - Very Rare, due to stellar travel being limited to portals
Demonborn (Bladeling) - Very Rare, due to the rarity and chaotic nature of demons
Crystalfolk (Shardmind) - Very Rare, due to their origination from another realm

Gods
Just, the Goddess of Earth, Justice, Protection, Skill; creator of Dwarves
Hope, the God of Creation, Hope, Love, the Sun; creator of Gnomes
Luck, the Goddess of Air, Change, Freedom, Luck; creator of Halflings
Know, the God of Arcana, Civilization, Knowledge, Undeath; creator of Elves
Fate, the God of Fate, Madness, the Moon, the Sea; creator of Dragonborn
Wild, the Goddess of Life, Storms, Wilderness; creator of Gnolls
Cruel, the God of Strength, Tyranny, War, Winter; creator of Orcs
Sin, the Goddess of Fire, Strife, Torment, Trickery, Vengeance; creator of Kobolds
Plight, the God of Darkness, Death, Destruction, Poison; creator of Goblins

Other lesser gods exist, but usually owe allegiance to one of the Nine. If you want to worship a lesser god, consult me.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
(I wanted to hide that all in a spoiler, but that doesn't seem to work with /spoiler on this forum.)

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition
Campaign Title: Explorers of Calemor
Numbers of Players: 5
Genre: Dungeon Crawl (33% Combat, 33% Exploration, 33% Roleplay)

[SBLOCK=Character Generation]
Starting Level: 1-5 (to be chosen by players)
Ability Scores: 22 Point Buy
Wealth: Calemor uses a silver standard, so use the following conversion rules from the books: Copper -> Iron, Silver -> Copper, Gold -> Silver, Platinum -> Gold, Astral Diamond -> Platinum. If we start at level 1, you start with 100 silver pieces, which is the same as starting with 100 gold in regular settings.
Allowed Content: Any Books, Dragon & Dungeon Magazine (I have most but my subscription ran out), Homebrew (if approved or created by me); certain races and classes are rare or distrusted, see the setting description below.
Background: While "dungeon crawl" does not evoke an image of intense roleplaying, I would like the opportunity to be present, so please give your character a personality and a background. Choose a Theme from any source that can fit your character, or consult me to create one for you if you can't find a good one.
Alignment: Not Strict (i.e., roleplaying comes first, but you can label yourself whatever you want)

Choose whatever race/class/theme you want, and I'll work with you to make sure it fits the campaign world. If you're curious, I've written a summary below of the current state of the world, particularly how common certain races and power sources are.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Setting]Calemor is the name given to the world on which the mortals live, over which the gods keep close watch, around which countless other realms exist, and through which magic of all kinds flows. Currently, the world is in a state of ruin, with the largest civilizations being no bigger than alliances between city-states that have built walls to keep out the encroaching wilderness. A shared culture exists throughout the entire mortal world, except in small pockets, so almost all intelligent creatures understand and speak the Common tongue. However, racial tensions abound due to old grudges, conflicts of religion, and misunderstandings. Most communities either struggle to survive or have hoarded large amounts of food, goods, and wealth to themselves. However, the world is covered in vast amounts of ruins from ancient civilizations, so adventuring is the best chance a person of skill has to make a living, if they do not mind the high mortality rate.

Martial, arcane, and divine magic are well known and generally trusted. However, institutions dedicated to their study are very rare, making arcane classes somewhat harder to come by. Divine characters typically worship one of the Nine greater gods, as the gods are known to take active interests in mortal affairs from time to time. Shadow magic is also common, but greatly mistrusted by your average commoner. Primal magic has just begun to emerge, and so it is both not very common and slightly mistrusted due to being misunderstood as possession by evil spirits. Elemental magic is also not very common, since the elemental realm is usually either misunderstood or not even known to exist as the elementals keep to themselves; users of elemental magic tend to experience resistance from elementals, though (this does not include arcane evocation spells unless the source is explicitly from the elemental realm). Psionic magic is extremely rare, and only exists on a case-by-case basis.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Races]
Extremely Common - Everyone has met one and you'll be treated as an average person except in rare cases
Very Common - Some individuals or organizations harbor prejudices of you, but for the most part you won't notice
Common - Most people know your kind, but would be surprised if you don't fit their preconceptions
Uncommon - Some people have not heard of you, but those that have will be surprised if you are not exactly like their preconceptions
Rare - Most people have not met your kind, so you are regularly treated with mistrust unless you can pass as another race
Very Rare - Unless you pass as another race, you will probably be met with extreme reactions such as shock, fear, or hatred

Humans - Extremely Common
Halfling - Very Common, can pass as human child
Half-Elves - Very Common, even having their own communities, can pass as human if ears are concealed
Half-Orcs - Very Common, even having their own communities, can pass as human in dim light
Dwarves - Common, expected to be prudish and good
Wood Elves (Elf) - Common, expected to be boisterous and wild
Gnome - Common, expected to be gentle and jolly
Dragonborn - Common, many various expectations
Warforged - Common, expected to be unemotional and militaristic
Orcs - Common, expected to be militaristic and evil
Kobolds - Common, expected to be greedy and evil
Goblins (Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear) - Common, expected to be violent and evil
High Elves (Eladrin) - Uncommon, expected to be pompous and magical, can pass as wood elves
Half-Dwarves (Mul) - Uncommon, can pass as humans or dwarves
Half-Giants (Goliath) - Uncommon, expected to be dumb and barbaric, can pass as large humans
Devilborn (Tiefling) - Uncommon, expected to be greedy and manipulative
Angelborn (Deva) - Uncommon, expected to be good but pompous
Changeling - Uncommon, expected to be mischievous and dangerous
Shadowborn (Shadar-Kai) - Uncommon, expected to be greedy and manipulative
Gnolls - Uncommon, expected to be barbaric and selfish
Frogfolk (Bullywug) - Uncommon, expected to be barbaric and slovenly
Beastborn (Shifter) - Rare, expected to be violent and barbaric
Satyrs - Rare, generally lazy and wild
Shades - Rare, expected to be evil and dangerous, can pass as humans in very dim light
Minotaurs - Rare, expected to be violent and dangerous
Birdfolk (Kenku) - Rare, generally isolationist and greedy
Plantborn (Wilden) - Rare, due to special circumstances needed for creation
Dryads (Hamadryad) - Rare, due to minimal prevalence of primal spirits
Dark Elves (Drow) - Very Rare, generally evil and wild
Dark Dwarves (Duergar) - Very Rare, generally evil and militaristic
Dark Gnomes (Svirfneblin) - Very Rare, generally evil and isolationist
Elementalborn (Genasi) - Very Rare, due to limited mortal contact with the elemental realm
Dreamborn (Kalashtar) - Very Rare, due to limited mortal contact with the dream realm
Faeries (Pixie) - Very Rare, generally mischievous and nonsensical
Bloodborn (Vryloka) - Very Rare, generally selfish and evil, can pass as humans easily
Revenants - Very Rare, due to special circumstances needed for creation
Bugfolk (Thri-Kreen) - Very Rare, generally isolationist and barbaric
Starborn (Githyanki, Githzerai) - Very Rare, due to stellar travel being limited to portals
Demonborn (Bladeling) - Very Rare, due to the rarity and chaotic nature of demons
Crystalfolk (Shardmind) - Very Rare, due to their origination from another realm[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Gods]
Just, the Goddess of Earth, Justice, Protection, Skill; creator of Dwarves
Hope, the God of Creation, Hope, Love, the Sun; creator of Gnomes
Luck, the Goddess of Air, Change, Freedom, Luck; creator of Halflings
Know, the God of Arcana, Civilization, Knowledge, Undeath; creator of Elves
Fate, the God of Fate, Madness, the Moon, the Sea; creator of Dragonborn
Wild, the Goddess of Life, Storms, Wilderness; creator of Gnolls
Cruel, the God of Strength, Tyranny, War, Winter; creator of Orcs
Sin, the Goddess of Fire, Strife, Torment, Trickery, Vengeance; creator of Kobolds
Plight, the God of Darkness, Death, Destruction, Poison; creator of Goblins

Other lesser gods exist, but usually owe allegiance to one of the Nine. If you want to worship a lesser god, consult me.[/SBLOCK]

There are some restrictions on what new members can do until they have posted 10 times. But I don't think that it includes bb formatting. If you 'quote' this post, it should show you how I formatted it. Hope that helps.

And welcome (back?) to the world of of PbP

thotd

fireinthedust

Explorer
At the risk of you being sick of me... I'm game.

I have books galore but dropped the char builder when my subscription lapsed, and I had to switch laptops due to... I think it died of old age.

I kind of want to try a psionic character, as i finally cracked the cover of phb3 and love the ardent art; though the psion also looks good.

however, other classes look fun.

The goal: a female pc who is... just a nice person. what do you think?

Shayuri

First Post
Bwah...I'm in so many games already, but it's hard to find a good 4e game these days.

And I have some ideas that other systems just can't offer rules for...

HRM

Pixie Hexblade, perhaps? Crazy pixie hexblade? Tee hee.

RMcCall

Explorer
Hello to you both!

Fireinthedust, I think it sounds great! You'll have to come up with a reason for your character to have developed psionic powers, because monasteries and schools for the study of psionics do not exist yet at the time this campaign will take place. You could have encountered a portal to another realm that mutated your mind, or have been gifted the powers by a lesser god, or if you can come up with something else.

Shayuri, crazy pixies are pretty much the only kind to become an adventurer. They are chaotic as it is, but only the really crazy ones leave the rest to adventure at this point in history. Fey Pact would have a simple explanation, but if you have other ideas, there are plenty of powerful beings just waiting to give you their magic in return for your soul!

If either of you need any help making the characters, let me know too.

Shayuri

First Post
Fey pact is what I have in mind. It's very good mechanically for pixie stats, and it keeps the concept focused.

Fire, pixies are in Heroes of the Feywild.

My basic concept can be summed up as sort of, "A tiny flying 'The Tick.'"

fireinthedust

Explorer
Okay, I'm thinking Human or Half-elf Ardent, and I wanted to take the Elan racial bloodline; another option is using Kalashtar, but I don't see the benefit statistically, and the telepathy is limited compared to Elan (one-to-one vs Telepathy 5).
I've been reading over the various builds online, and right off the bat Elan is disliked for combat, but Telepathy has strategic value such that Gygax wouldn't have allowed it for starting characters (that's insane!).
No mention if a Hybrid Ardent/Battlemind is recommended beyond stat synergy, and I wouldn't want to lose a good build power (elation seems fun); could use advice, but I'll pour over my books again (just thought of it, actually). No interest in being a psion for this, she's emotion not logic.

I've been reading Jack Vance recently, and in one of the first stories the wizards grow people in vats. One of them is, surprise, a very beautiful woman (three, actually, come to think of it). For our leaderly Elan, I'm thinking she suddenly woke up in a vat of fluid with overwhelming mental powers as a quirk of her growing process. Perhaps the Wizard who made her was gone when she gained sentience, leaving her in empty halls of a sunken palace with no answers until she made her way to the surface, finding a bustling city above that was unaware of the alchemical labs beneath its streets.

She couldn't speak at first, communicating entirely with her mind. Emotions (and hers are particularly powerful) are projected visibly in prismatic auras around her, and while she took to physical activities like battle easily enough, it turns out she can bolster those around her as well. People working with her "feel" better, those working against her "feel" worse.

She learned how to lead others quickly, gaining skills, training, even language as if through osmosis from those around her. She kept her origins and powers secret, mostly, and others generally assume she's just an incredibly charismatic and effective tactician.

Level: I've only DM'd 4e, save a pair of sessions at low level. I'm more interested in the story, but trying out higher levels could be fun and would be newer for me than yet another 1st level game. 5th?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Fey pact is what I have in mind. It's very good mechanically for pixie stats, and it keeps the concept focused.

Fire, pixies are in Heroes of the Feywild.

My basic concept can be summed up as sort of, "A tiny flying 'The Tick.'"

I love this idea. Would she have a "little wooden boy" sidekick? Maybe leather armor made from some blue-skinned lizard?

How would our characters have met? Right from the beginning, when "Elandra" stumbled out of the wizard's lab? Or later on?

Shayuri

First Post
lol, no no. It's just...she has that overzealous cheeriness, mixed with a peculiar and narrow view of right and wrong, liberally mixed in with an utterly narcissistic view of the world that only touches base with objective reality in a tenuous way. :)

But it's not a direct rip off.

I hope.

*looks shiftily around*

Remove ads