Low-Level Game, Newbies Welcome! [Closed]

RMcCall

Explorer
A few possible themes for Elandra come to mind:

Alchemist: Dragon 399 (If you want to have learned alchemy by osmosis from the lab you were born in)
Beguiler: Dragon 420 (If you want to manipulate your opponents' perception as well as emotions)
Halaster's Clone: Dragon 409 (Reflavored as the result of being born from science rather than biology, it gives you immunity to low-level diseases and you don't age)

That's also one vote for 5th level. If anyone prefers differently, you can absolutely chime in. Still looking for 3 players!

Shayuri

First Post
I'll probably go with Sarifel Feywarden, or perhaps Fey Beast Tamer.

Must experiment a bit with DDI and see how the builds work.

Starting level...well, I like the idea of not starting at 1, just because getting levels in PBPs takes forever. :) 5 would be fine, but I'm good with whatever. This isn't a question I have a strong attachment to any particular answer to.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I gotta admit, this sounds interesting. Because (IMXP) 4e has and always will be a tactical game, I have to fight really hard to get a character that has a nice theme (design, not Theme as per the CB) that also works with the fight-fight-fight of the 4e core mechanics.

So far there a deranged pixie themed after the Tick and a Psychic Clone who's 'new'.

Based on that alone, I have a strong comedic 'Mystery Men' feel for what may happen down the line.

... is that likely to be the case? Will this adventure be more tongue-in-cheek and goofy over srrs grimdark RP?

... and will there be a heavy story element or more like a typical sandbox / beer n pretzels game?

@fireinthedust - we've gamed together before, but it's been many many moons. Still feeling the Battlemind? That would cover the 'Defender' role nicely, and an Ardent would be a great 'Leader'. Psionic rules, as always, are a little bizarre, but if I understand them correctly, they basically work like this: you get at-wills and dailies only, and if you use an Augment, you turn your at-wills INTO Encounter-equivalent attacks.

@Shayuri - I think we've gamed together once or twice as well. I'm currently playing a Hexblade of the White Well and if you enjoy strikers, you're gonna love the Hexblade.

... but now what to play, what to play ...

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Psionics: Yep. I like that flexibility much more than the static, predictable 4e core rules.

Tactical: To be fair, I'm planning to RP through this regardless; Elandra just happens to be a very emotional person who'll help others.

I don't think she's "new" so much as absorbing information from others. She "gets" the world now, being 5th level, but it took some work. Int is her dump stat, but it's more because her focus is emotions rather than remembering lore; my gaming philosophy is that "int" should really be "education", not "intelligence" for RPGs. Otherwise explain to me all the stupid decisions made by players! :D

I'm away from home for a week, so can't verify that a hybrid ardent/battlemind would work (I believe they're Con/Cha, Cha/Con classes, so maybe) but Ardent is the core concept, and if it isn't a good fit in play I'll skip other options. Maybe she hung out with a bunch of dwarves, who taught her about hammers and helped her gain discipline?

Shayuri

First Post
Fire, check out Bard/Ardent. It's a pretty strong combo that enhances the Ardent's otherwise-a-little-lackluster Leader capacity. The Skald Aura, interestingly enough, coincides with the range of most Ardent abilities...and it also qualifies you to take the weapons-target-Ref-Instead-of-AC feat in paragon, which are Martial feats and thus which Ardents alone cannot take.

It helps a lot, since a lot of Ardent powers key off of weapon hits.

Herobizkit, we have gamed before! In a superhero game or two or three back in the day. Nice to see you still around!

Seelia is definitely kind of a comic relief character, yep. She has some RP potential too, but a lot of her shenanigans will be for the pure fun factor. I'll try not to let it get obnoxious. :)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Fire, check out Bard/Ardent. It's a pretty strong combo that enhances the Ardent's otherwise-a-little-lackluster Leader capacity. The Skald Aura, interestingly enough, coincides with the range of most Ardent abilities...and it also qualifies you to take the weapons-target-Ref-Instead-of-AC feat in paragon, which are Martial feats and thus which Ardents alone cannot take.

It helps a lot, since a lot of Ardent powers key off of weapon hits.

Herobizkit, we have gamed before! In a superhero game or two or three back in the day. Nice to see you still around!

Seelia is definitely kind of a comic relief character, yep. She has some RP potential too, but a lot of her shenanigans will be for the pure fun factor. I'll try not to let it get obnoxious. :)

Meh, as long as she can nuke things in combat, she'll be fine!

Hero: I think I GM'd for you two. I've done supers games. Thing is, while i like M&M, it's a really labour-intensive game to GM. I'm working on something, and when it's ready I'll let you folks know so you can have a look!

Elandra is going to be front-ish, but unless I go Battlemind, I don't think I'd like her to stay up front as a meat shield. That's what's weird about this: I like how emotional she is, how the ardent is described, but I don't see how that kind of vulnerability works with her standing in front of people and smashing. Like, she's a nice person, and that should help people do things (feel her confidence like it was her own, etc.).
Bard: I was thinking that, but would that decrease what I can augment with power points? I like the Ref strike. Maybe, as this is a "home" game, our beloved GM will allow a re-skin? What's the source of the feat/book?

And I may have her go with Battlemind, if I see some powers that I like. I wonder, though, if crossing her with Psion could also work. I don't think so, though, as Psion is Int/wis or cha, and Ardent is Cha/wis or con.

RMcCall

Explorer
Welcome aboard, Herobizkit! For the tone of the game, I am flexible but leaning towards a style that is light and fun, but still three-dimensional in terms of the world and characters. So, I will not be requiring anyone to do any dark-serious roleplaying, but I am asking that characters be thought out beyond just a collection of stats, which has been done great by you guys so far! We'll start out with a dungeon crawl and a small town as home base, typical stuff, but after that I think the game will become pretty sandboxy. I'll make plot points develop from your characters' backstories as much as I can!

I also know the pains 4e combat can inflict, so only about a third of our game will be combat, and we'll level up whenever it feels right instead of worrying about getting enough XP. I also think it would be fun to use roll20.net for big scenes, but we'll get there when we get there.

Remove ads