N.E.W Playtest- first read feedback

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm just worried because we've played 'you can do anything' games with skills working like this before, and hey never seem to work!

There's only so much you can glean by just reading it. That's why it's a playtesting program, not a proofreading assignment. :)

Re-reading the rules ready for our first game I noticed something- if you are arm-wrestling someone with say 5 STR and you have 5 STR, unless the GM calls for a roll, you can't actually beat them- the difficulty is STRx4 or 20, you roll (STR/2)+1 dice or 3d6- giving you between 3 and 18- you can never win. The same is true of most odd-numbered stats as you are adding 4 for each increase- more than 1 dice would add.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Typo. That should be x3. So 15 on 3d6 (which is still pretty difficult). Though that situation cries out for an opposed roll, not a static difficulty.

However, it is the example you give in the book. The only time I can ever see a static difficulty would be when trying to be stealthy or sneaky, wouldn't it make more sense to have a 10+2xINT+Perception ranks as a defence instead?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
However, it is the example you give in the book.

Yeah, the example is left over from a previous iteration. Thanks for spotting it!

The only time I can ever see a static difficulty would be when trying to be stealthy or sneaky, wouldn't it make more sense to have a 10+2xINT+Perception ranks as a defence instead?

An opposed AGI vs. INT check with stealth or perception providing d6 bonuses on each side is what you'd use there

That said, I do have pre-calculated static perception scores for monsters - mainly just to speed up play.

Remove ads