The mysterious founder of Bitcoin unmasked

Dungeoneer

First Post
The man who created Bitcoin was known only by the handle "Satoshi Nakomoto." For years his identity has been a mystery. Some people believe that he his really a group of people.

Well, a reporter finally tracked him down. He lives in California and his name is... Satoshi Nakomoto.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Oh, and just in case the debate starts up again, remember: "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The man who created Bitcoin was known only by the handle "Satoshi Nakomoto." For years his identity has been a mystery. Some people believe that he his really a group of people.

Well, a reporter finally tracked him down. He lives in California and his name is... Satoshi Nakomoto.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Oh, and just in case the debate starts up again, remember: "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."
I wonder if the creator read The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon, both by Neal Stephenson. Both predict/invent crypto-currencies.
"We are going to launch our own currency.” By saying this, Randy is divulging proprietary information to someone not authorized to hear it. But he does it anyway, because opening himself up to Amy in this way, making himself vulnerable to her, gives him a hard-on.
“How do you go about that? Don’t you have to be a government?”
“No. You have to be a bank. Why do you think they’re called banknotes? Randy is fully aware of the insanity of divulging secret business information to a woman solely for purposes of sexual self-titillation but it is in the nature of things, right now, that he doesn’t especially care.
“Okay but still, usually it’s done by government banks, right?”
Only because people tend to respect the government banks. But government banks in Southeast Asia have a huge image problem right now. That image problem translates directly into crashing exchange rates.”
“So how do you do it?”
Ger a big pile of gold. Issue certificates saying ‘this certificate can be redeemed for such-and-such an amount of gold.’ That’s all there is to it.”
“What’s wrong with dollars and yen and stuff?”
“the certificates—the banknotes—are printed on paper?. We’re going to issue electronic banknotes.”
“No paper at all?”
“No paper at all.”
“So you can spend it on the Net.”
“Correct.”
“What if you want to buy a sack of bananas?”
“Find a banana merchant on the Net.”
“Seems like paper money’de be just as good.”
“Paper money is traceable and perishable and has other drawbacks. Electronic banknotes are fast and anonymous.”
“What’s an electronic banknot look like, Randy?”
“Like any other digital thing: a bunch of bits.”
“doesn’t that make it kind of easy to counterfeit?”
“Not if you have good crypto,” Randy says. “Which we do.”
“How did you get it?”
“By hanging out with maniacs.”
“What kind of maniacs?”
“Maniacs who think that having good crypto is of near-apocalyptic importance.”
“By reading about people like Yamamoto who died because they had bad crypto, and then projecting that kind of thing into the future.”
“Do you agree with them?” Amy asks. It might be one of those pivotal-moment-in-the-relationship questions.
“At two in the morning, when I’m lying awake in bed, I do,” Randy say. “In the light of day, it all seems like paranoia.”…

- from Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson, published in 1999 by Avon books.

Did he predict it or did he influence its creation by writting about it?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
khan.jpg

Janx

Hero

Ya know, I re-watched that a little while back, and I recall that scene always being portrayed as this really long protracted scream.

Instead, it was pretty brief.

Anyway, I was just being cryptic.

But the answer is yes.

I think Neil was clued in to crypto-currency back then and smelled the band-wagon before anybody else was. Kind of like how Michael Crichton would pick a technology and advance it just enough to illustrate the scary concern he wanted to base his book on.

Certainly when I started hearing about BitCoin, I flashed back to reading Cryptonomicon.

As the article about the creator of BitCoin reveals, some of those guys were anti-banking, anti"they control it and make all the money" and now those guys are really rich off of their BitCoin holdings (they get paid in BitCoin for their work).

Which reinforces, that whoever controls/manages the money gets to be rich. It's an odd side effect, that these BitCoin guys/business entities may have become the Banks that they were potentially trying to unempower.

Poor guy. I'm with a lot of the commenters on that article -- he wants to be left alone, yet here's this reporter running him down and posting a picture of his house on the Internet. IMO the reporter should respect his privacy once shot down for an interview.

Janx

Hero
Poor guy. I'm with a lot of the commenters on that article -- he wants to be left alone, yet here's this reporter running him down and posting a picture of his house on the Internet. IMO the reporter should respect his privacy once shot down for an interview.

It's a too way street. I agree, photos of the guy and his house ought to be off-limits without his consent.

But the guy wrote an important (to some) paper/specification and used his real name, and then acts like his privacy is so important (in that very community no less).

If he was such a privacy nut, he should have actually used a fake name instead of his real name.

Then, and this drives me nuts when my wife does it, by making a further big deal of not wanting to answer questions, etc, it only further raises curiosity.

How hard would it have been to say "yeah, I wrote the original code and article, but I've moved on from that, and a lot of other people have advanced the project much further. There's the real story. Have a good day."

A polite but limited interview probably would have solved the problem.

But as his brother described in in the article, his personility may have brought this on himself.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases