Need a hand with designing a spider character

Daniel Runge

First Post
Concept:
My character is a half-blood of a human male and a Sen'garak female.
Sen'garak - The Drow of my DM's world, based on spiders here are their statistics (16 RP):

Here is the mention - Drow-like was the meaning I went for :)

I can see where you're going.
The work we've gotten so far has been based off of monk, rogue (trap sense and uncanny dodge - spider sense, still unsure if we want to go there, but we might), and ranger, and all of your sugestions are straight on.
As we are both very new to this, I would say our current difficulties lies with balance, wording and prevalence:
How often should a class receive defensive contra offensive capabilities in relation to the role it seeks to fill, or the builds it allows is our biggest concern at the moment. Thinking of the race, they are not glass-cannony, so it would be wrong for us not to give them class features that that enhance their durability.

So far we have:
d8
4 + Int skills
3/4 BAB
Bad Fort, good Ref and Will (as opposed to the monk's 3 good)
A choice of 4 possible favored terrains with feats like the Mushakemono's Woodland Cover to go in hand with it.
We havnt picked which or in which amount of: Evasion, Uncanny dodge, Trap sense, and Natural armor bonuses.
As fighters focusing on movement and agility, we decided to cap their armor at Light armor proficiency.
Skill bonuses for Acrobatics, Bluff, Climb, and Stealth Skill checks
Venom secretion with feats to change the type of venom.
Silk gland with amount based on levels - we're working on the wording for this.
Here's what we have:

Arachnid Aspect (Ex)
A Sen'garak Paragon adds half his level on Acrobatics, Bluff, Climb, and Stealth Skill checks. In addition, he may use Dexterity instead of Charisma on Bluff skill checks to create a diversion to hide.
Secrete Venom (Ex)
A number of times per day equal to 1/4 of his level + his Constitution modifier (minimum 1/day), a Sen'garak Paragon can envenom a weapon he wields with venom from glands in his mouth. Applying venom in this way is a swift action. Sen'garak Venom: Injury; save Fort DC 10 + 1/2 the Sen'garak Paragon's level + the Sen'garak Paragon's Constitution modifier; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Str; cure 1 save.
Spider's Silk (Ex)
Starting at 1st level, a Sen'garak Paragons dormant Silk Gland becomes active. This gland can be used to produce an amount of silk depending on his Sen'garak Paragon level.
At 1st level the gland can produce only a very small amount, just enough to reinforce a rope or a net to increase their break DC's by 2 or bind someone's hands or feet.
Eventually, this silk can be used to create items, traps, and even lairs of webs.

We thought this would be fitting for level 1. We considered splitting Arachnid Aspect into 2 class features getting the first at 1st level, and the second at 3rd or 4th level.
The possible things you could create with the silk would be "Spider's silk rope", a part of an entangling trap or as a means to create difficult terrain with some work. These are just some of the things - ones fantasy sets the boundaries, but a few rules makes this both easier and much more balanced.

We're looking over your suggestions in detail now - what do you think so far?
Pinqh

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I think you're on the right track. For when to include offensive vs. defensive abilities, again look at your base class template and see where offensive are included, and defensive included, at what levels and how many levels apart. Use the monk (or rogue/monk/ranger) as a template to best place your altered abilities, by match in kind of ability whether offensive, defensive or utility.

And I understand drow-like. When you mentioned drow for the first time, I thought it was an unexpected monkey wrench, but I get you, now.

Remove ads