Why Do Batman Fans Hate Christopher Nolan?

Mallus

Legend
If it were universally clear what "a good movie" was, they'd all be good. So, there's nothing simple about it.
If it were universally clear what a good movie was, my wife and I would agree about which movies are good!

(I'll give her Nashville, though. And Wages of Fear. Two great films she introduced me to.)

Serendipity

Explorer
That's interesting, what don't you like about Bane??

A combination of factors - Bane has never, out of the whole of Bat's rogues gallery of villains, ever especially grabbed me; not in the comics and not in other media. While quite like Tom Hardy as an actor, he has this unfortunate tendency to play villains in genre films that I don't care for. (No one should have to mention Nemesis on their resume really. Ever.) So herein the specific implementation didn't do it for me either, lots of which was very reminiscent of Knightfall (the character's first appearance in the comics IIRC).
TLDR - it succumbed to third film syndrome.

Last edited:

That's interesting, what don't you like about Bane?

Ooh, I didn't even know he's been involved in other shows! Any recommendations?
- The Walking Dead (Pretty popular, but I stopped following it a while ago)
- Human Target (First Season Only, I enjoyed that one)
- Defiance (Computer Game and TV Show)
- The Cape (not that great of a show, to be honest)
- Caprica (the BSG:TNS prequel show)
- Marvel Agent of Shields
- Black Sails
- Da Vinci's Demons (the theme title is a musical palindrome even)
I recommend checking his website: http://bearmccreary.com/

And now back to the Nolan Batman. I liked him, and I don't care one bit how "authentic" he was to the comics or the Adam West Batman or whatever. They were good as movies and really made me aware of how interesting the Batman character actually is (or can be).

Last edited:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
If it were universally clear what "a good movie" was, they'd all be good. So, there's nothing simple about it.

No problem.
A good movie has strong plot and character development (one of these MUST be the driving force for the rest).
It is internally consistent and abides by a set of rules. (Doesn't matter what those rules are, so long as they are consistent)
There should be some guiding principle (be it to illicit laughter, a cry for help, exposing something, forcing people to face and address an issue, what have you).
Good music helps
Looking pretty with awesome special effects comes in last. That's right, FX are great, but they come in LAST in priority. "Special Effects are a way to help you tell the story. If you have a movie that's all effects and no story, you would have a pretty boring movie" --rough paraphrase of George Lucas 1978 (oh, the irony)

There you go.
Good movie defined.
Thank Aristotle.

No problem.
A good movie has strong plot and character development (one of these MUST be the driving force for the rest).
It is internally consistent and abides by a set of rules. (Doesn't matter what those rules are, so long as they are consistent)
There should be some guiding principle (be it to illicit laughter, a cry for help, exposing something, forcing people to face and address an issue, what have you).
Good music helps
Looking pretty with awesome special effects comes in last. That's right, FX are great, but they come in LAST in priority. "Special Effects are a way to help you tell the story. If you have a movie that's all effects and no story, you would have a pretty boring movie" --rough paraphrase of George Lucas 1978 (oh, the irony)

There you go.
Good movie defined.
Thank Aristotle.

That's all in your opinion, FX is a big thing for me,that's mainly why i go to the movies. The story takes second place. Music is last for me, I don't care that much about music one way or another. As for a guiding principle, mindless entertainment works for me.

[sblock] action_movies.png[/sblock]

Mallus

Legend
A good movie has strong plot and character development
Submitted for your approval (hah!): Last Year at Marienbad, Metropolis, [Synecdoche, New York], The Holy Mountain, and, for good measure, most Hitchcock films.

It is internally consistent and abides by a set of rules.
Blazing Saddles.

What about films that do all of that and more, without a more narrow focus?

Good music helps
It sure does!

Looking pretty with awesome special effects comes in last.
Black Narcissus, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Scarlet Empress, heck Speed Racer.

There you go.
Good movie defined.
And now complicated a little... ;)

Looking pretty with awesome special effects comes in last. That's right, FX are great, but they come in LAST in priority.
I'm pretty sure a Batman movie with no special effects would be pretty crappy, regardless of how great the script is.
"Special Effects are a way to help you tell the story. If you have a movie that's all effects and no story, you would have a pretty boring movie" --rough paraphrase of George Lucas 1978 (oh, the irony)
That guy shouldn't be allowed anywhere near movies. He shouldn't be allowed to comment on movies or even see a movie.
There you go.
Good movie defined.
Thank Aristotle.
All the things you mentioned are subjective. Also, Aristotle is overrated.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There you go.
Good movie defined.
Thank Aristotle.

Except that, by those criteria, I think "Dumb and Dumber" may qualify as a "good movie".

Note that "strong", which you seem to be applying to plot and character development, is not well defined. What makes a strong plot? If it is strong, but stupid, is that okay? If the characters develop but remain insipid, is the movie still good?

You are free to define what you personally feel is a good movie. That's fine. Suggesting that your definition holds for *everyone* falls into hubris, I'm afraid.

In the original meaning - there is no accounting for taste. It is not mathematical, cannot be codified.

Remove ads