Mobile Data: How much do you actually use?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
use about 2.5GB on average out of my 5GB.

A trick I have started doing is checking usage near the end of a period and then downloading a movie (non-HD) to my iPad.

My statistics for the last 30 days on my Lumia 1020 Windows 8 Smartphone:
Mobile: 77 MB
WLAN: 136 MB

I don't phone often. Maybe one or two calls to my parents per week. I rarely text.
I use calendar function occassionally, as well as OneNote, and I synchronize my phone's images with OneDrive (but I don't make that many photos - but it's a Lumia 1020, so the photos are bigger then for most smart phones.)
The major app that I use regularly currently is Chess Time, to play chess with friends.

At home and at work I can use WLAN (though at work, I am usually not logged in there).
The Map app (Nokia HERE) I use allows me to download the maps to the device, so I can do that at home in my WLAN and only need GPS for nagivation.)

I have a contract that gives me 4G speed until I exceed a 500 MB limit/month, then it gets downgraded to I don't know what. No extra cost occur, but I can order extra packages for another 500 MB.
I have no free calls and no free texts - it's 0.09 € per minute of phone call or 0.09 € per text.
The base price is abotu 10 € per month.

I did buy the phone seperately without contract, which is expensive - but remember, contracts where you get the phone cheap or for free will generally contain the cost in the price over the minimum contract duration. (And will likely auto-renew, so you are not flexible either.)

The smartphone is definitely a luxury, I don't strictly need it, but it's convenient enough that I think it's worth the expenditure.

I can't offer much more insights, since the providers in the USA and Germany are not the same (other perhaps than T-Mobile). Coverage with my provider (basically a reseller of T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom) is good (and there are no providers that are really better, just one that is about just as good, and worse). This may be a bit more difficult in the US, as far as I know, coverage even of the big names isn't always great. (I suppose it's excusable if you consider how big the US is and how the population is distributed.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"Pretty much?" Maybe you don't text with the frequency of some other individuals, but I think you send out a text here and there.

As in, less than 1 per year. That text to my cousin was in 2010, so it's nearly 4 years since my last one.

The only reason I haven't blacked out the service with my provider- which, FWIW, my mother has done on her phone- is so that I get Amber Alerts & tornado warnings.

benodoc

First Post
I share a plan with my mother to save money, and both of us combined barely use 2gb normally, granted we barely use it other than for email/facebook/google searches/occasional youtube/music.

My wife, however, has developed a need - a small device that will act as a GPS while on her motorcycle. Smartphone + Bluetooth earpiece in her helmet = turn-by-turn directions while on her bike. We can also replace her old iPod in the same action.

Yeah, my iPhone is a lousy telephone and a lousy email device -- I swear they made the keyboard even smaller in iOS 7 -- but it does beat hauling around a phone plus iPod plus PDA that I used to do when traveling.

I'm usually well under 2 GB data per month; my wife uses more. We recently switched data plans and now share 10 GB data between three devices (her phone, my phone, and a 4G hot spot) for less money than our prior plan.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, we took the plunge, and now both have smartphones. The camera on the Galaxy S5 does seem to work nicely, an d I'm hoping the app for the Boston bus system will be useful....

Remove ads