• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mobile Data: How much do you actually use?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I'm pretty sure they did that so you would have to buy a smartphone, and they could sell you more expensive plans. I know some companies will require that you buy a data plan if you have a smartphone. So if you bought and iPhone, you'd have to buy whatever data plan they sold along with it. It's an easy way for them to bend you over.

That's exactly what the did, and why.

And what do I really need? I sometimes get lost if I haven't written down directions or make a mistake.
SmartPhone bill: $90 per month.
Current map: about $5-10 one-time investment (if you can find one)
Guess which one I'm going to go with.
I don't use the other bells & whistles/toys enough to warrant the extra expense.

That's exactly what the did, and why.
Yeah, they know how to get your money. Eventually your phone is going to die. There keep changing the tech so that you have to update or not have a phone. Sure, you can hang on a bit longer with some of the cheaper companies, but even they are trying to get you to spend more. Eventually you'll end up with a smartphone. The question will then be, how smart is your phone?
And what do I really need? I sometimes get lost if I haven't written down directions or make a mistake.
SmartPhone bill: $90 per month.
Current map: about $5-10 one-time investment (if you can find one)
Guess which one I'm going to go with.
You know, I think it depends on where you're at, and how good coverage is. I had the misfortune of visiting Jacksonville North Carolina. On my way to Reighley, I tried using the GPS on the phone. I'm sure it would have been useful if we had any reception. I had to use a map, and we made it out of that horrible place without ending up in some inbred horror movie.
I don't use the other bells & whistles/toys enough to warrant the extra expense.
Until you use them, then you'll be like, 'I need this!'

Trust me, it happens to everyone.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Until you use them, then you'll be like, 'I need this!'

Trust me, it happens to everyone.

Well...sorta.

My iPod Touch is stock, no apps. Pretty much use it for my main alarm clock, notes, email and a bit of web surfing. While it is loaded with some music, I rarely use it for that, and eventually, that role will be 100% supplanted by my 160GB iPod classic.

My iPhone 4s is stock, and only has access to one of my email addresses. If it weren't for phone calls, it would get less use than my iPod Touch.

And, up until this year, my iPad2- bought shortly after they were introduced- was stock, too. But I finally felt I needed to load it with certain apps:

1) the improved Notes app, because the standard one is buggy.

2) NASA's app, so I could watch celestial events when my local skies were clouded, etc.

3) Kindle reader, because someone gave me an eBook. I was planning to get it eventually, but I HAD to at that point.

4) a couple of TV channel apps, because my DVR inexplicably didn't record several series finales over the past year. They have not been rebroadcast, nor have they popped up on my system's VOD.

5) for a DigiTech iPB-10 MFX pedal (because an iPad 2 is required to use one),

6) the ReacTable mobile app- a surprisingly powerful $10 synthesizer app that does an amazing job of recreating the experience of using a real ReacTable (which costs more than $10k).

7) a classic pre-OSX Mac game- Spaceward Ho!- which is leading me to investigate the availability of other games from that era.

So my tablet is becoming a more customized tool, but honestly? If I didn't have an iPad, I wouldn't be cluttering up my iPhone or iPod with most of this stuff. (Probably just the 1st & 6th.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Eh, time will tell.

Others have predicted likewise of me with social media, but I still don't use any of it. I don't even text.:erm:

Eh, time will tell.

Others have predicted likewise of me with social media, but I still don't use any of it. I don't even text.:erm:
Well, you have n iPhone. That thing is tiny and makes texting difficult, so I don't blame you. It irritates me whenever I'm in the car with my GF and she is driving and asks me to send a text from her phone for her.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Prior to the iPhone, I had an Android smartphone; I pretty much didn't text.

Before that, I had a feature phone that had a slide-out physical keyboard to facilitate texting; I pretty much didn't text.

The last text I sent out was to a cousin of mine: 8 months after she texted me "Happy Birthday!", I responded with a text saying "I don't text, don't text me."

When my father wound up in the ER this week, people texted me about this and that. I didn't respond...at least, not via text.

I pretty much don't text.

Prior to the iPhone, I had an Android smartphone; I pretty much didn't text.
Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee it has enough real estate to make texting comfortable.

Before that, I had a feature phone that had a slide-out physical keyboard to facilitate texting; I pretty much didn't text.
I've always hated those things.

The last text I sent out was to a cousin of mine: 8 months after she texted me "Happy Birthday!", I responded with a text saying "I don't text, don't text me."
That made me laugh.

When my father wound up in the ER this week, people texted me about this and that. I didn't respond...at least, not via text.

I pretty much don't text.
"Pretty much?" Maybe you don't text with the frequency of some other individuals, but I think you send out a text here and there.

Remove ads