Dark Dungeons full trailer!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So from all the stuff I've heard so far, along with the "it's not a parody, we're showing it straight as written" stuff, I'm pretty sure JR Ralls ("won't discuss his position on the matter") is pro-Chick. I can't think why else he would be so secretive about his opinion. Or why the director would need to describe himself as a neutral "third party" between Ralls and the pro-gaming production company ZOE.

In which case, it's all gonna be a big gotcha at our expense. Gamers funding a serious anti-gamer tract.

I could be wrong, but the parody sheen has fallen off it. If presented to a certain section of the population, this "straight-up" filming of the Chick-tract with no other context could actually be intended to do damage.

Dunno. Am I being paranoid? If Ralls were to just say "I don't believe in the message this tract is sending" it'd be better.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If Ralls were to just say "I don't believe in the message this tract is sending" it'd be better.
Would it expose him to being sued by Chick? If he asked for the rights by deceiving Chick, maybe that could be bad news for him.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Would it expose him to being sued by Chick? If he asked for the rights by deceiving Chick, maybe that could be bad news for him.

I guess that's possible, yeah. Maybe he presented himself as a Chick supporter who wanted to help get the message out.

If it's legitimate parody, he doesn't need the rights (AFAIK, IANAL, YMMV).

On the other hand, I have a hard time imagining any way of "playing it straight" that won't in the end come off as parody whether intentional or not. So either way gamers win.

Remove ads