Dark Dungeons full trailer!

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I am fairly sure that he is making this movie for gamers to enjoy in the same vein as we enjoy reading Dark Dungeons.

The movie was made in partnership with Zombie Orpheus (the folks behind The Gamers) and it's premiering at GenCon. Looking at other Kickstarter projects he has backed we can see The Dice Shield (which I had also backed... too bad it did not fund), Story War: The Storytelling Party Game, Professional MP3 Background Loops for Role-Playing Games, and Knights of the Dinner Table: Live Action Series (KODT: LAS).

All this tells me we are in good hands. :)

Scorpio616

First Post
I could be wrong, but the parody sheen has fallen off it. If presented to a certain section of the population, this "straight-up" filming of the Chick-tract with no other context could actually be intended to do damage.
Pretty sure those folks would have to be drinking Dionysus's blood pretty hard to not recognize that worse that SY-FY "acting" as anything but a parody. Because their own deity's blood ain't got the alcohol % to make them that plastered.

Dunno. Am I being paranoid?
Yes. Would you like a tinfoil hat? I have extra.

If Ralls were to just say "I don't believe in the message this tract is sending" it'd be better.
Some folks need that.
Michael Jackson said:
"Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses a belief in the occult"
[video=youtube;sOnqjkJTMaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA&feature=kp[/video]
But I say let those folks think Jonathan Swift is baby eating cannibal.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
So from all the stuff I've heard so far, along with the "it's not a parody, we're showing it straight as written" stuff, I'm pretty sure JR Ralls ("won't discuss his position on the matter") is pro-Chick. I can't think why else he would be so secretive about his opinion. Or why the director would need to describe himself as a neutral "third party" between Ralls and the pro-gaming production company ZOE.

In which case, it's all gonna be a big gotcha at our expense. Gamers funding a serious anti-gamer tract.

I could be wrong, but the parody sheen has fallen off it. If presented to a certain section of the population, this "straight-up" filming of the Chick-tract with no other context could actually be intended to do damage.

Dunno. Am I being paranoid? If Ralls were to just say "I don't believe in the message this tract is sending" it'd be better.

Let's say it is pro-Chick, what then? Honestly, what damage could it really do today? Nobody cares about that stuff anymore and I doubt some movie no one is gonna see will change that. I just don't think there's anything to be concerned about.

bone_naga

Explorer
It doesn't really matter if it's intended to be a parody or not because Chick is so far out of touch that his vision is already a parody.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It doesn't really matter if it's intended to be a parody or not because Chick is so far out of touch that his vision is already a parody.

Since when has "out of touch" been a barrier to spreading a negative opinion about a group? Factual accuracy isn't the weapon of propaganda.

bone_naga

Explorer
Since when has "out of touch" been a barrier to spreading a negative opinion about a group? Factual accuracy isn't the weapon of propaganda.
Facts have nothing to do with it, but I think a movie makes it harder to take it seriously than the comic. Chick's vision is pretty sketchy even in abbreviated comic book form. In a move, I think it's going to look so incredibly far fetched from reality that people will see it as fiction rather than a religious message. This doesn't look like a Mazes and Monsters type of movie, where someone not familiar with the game might buy into what they see, it looks so over the top that the only people who would take it seriously already have their minds made up.

Fast Learner

First Post
Though I've not seen the film, the trailer makes me feel certain that the only people who will see this as an actual condemnation of RPGs is those who already believe it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Though I've not seen the film, the trailer makes me feel certain that the only people who will see this as an actual condemnation of RPGs is those who already believe it.

That's a very brief dismissal of the practice of propaganda reinforcement! Yes, most targets of propaganda are having their beliefs reinforced. It works.

Remove ads