Nazareth Awakened - Chapter 02: Wives of Solomon

Rubberneck

First Post
Law nods,

"Guess you're right about that. Backup is normally a second away if I get into something thick. Old habits... I can call in a favor and get the details on that plate pretty quickly. In the meantime let's head back to Penrose."

TillForPie

First Post
Faye turns her flashlight on each member of the group, one after the other. "What about the ley? If there's no fixing it there's no fixing it, but I'd prefer to go back with good news." She seems more concerned with fixing Penrose's problem than figuring out what happened. "If there's nothing we can do here we should hit the road."

Last edited:

Mosier

First Post
Faye turns her flashlight on each member of the group, one after the other. "What about the ley? If there's no fixing it there's no fixing it, but I'd prefer to go back with good news." She seems more concerned with fixing Penrose's problem than figuring out what happened. "If there's nothing we can do here we should hit the road."

When Faye's flashlight comes across Agnasci, he speaks up.

"I don't think anything's to be done about the ley. Let's tell Penrose, and see what he thinks."

Shayuri

First Post
"Jes' give me a few minutes!" Chance says hotly. "I've been sayin' I might be able to learn more!"

Muttering to herself she goes back into the bathroom where the dog was found and concentrates...attempting to fling her mind's eye back in time once again...this time to just a moment or two after where her last spell was interrupted. They'd been about to bring the dog in...surely the ritual wouldn't be far behind.

(Postcognition again...this time she'll let it play through the ritual regardless of what she sees on the way. :) 3 dice in za pool.)

TillForPie

First Post
"Jes' give me a few minutes!" Chance says hotly. "I've been sayin' I might be able to learn more!"

Muttering to herself she goes back into the bathroom where the dog was found and concentrates...attempting to fling her mind's eye back in time once again...this time to just a moment or two after where her last spell was interrupted. They'd been about to bring the dog in...surely the ritual wouldn't be far behind.

(Postcognition again...this time she'll let it play through the ritual regardless of what she sees on the way. :) 3 dice in za pool.)
The spell ended because you only get to view one turn of the past per success. I'll assume you're aiming your second casting a minute or so later than you did with your first.

Faye turns her flashlight on Chance as she makes her way back to the trailer. "You didn't need our permission. All right, rest of us," she looks to the others, "back to the truck." She starts on her way to the parked Tundra.

Chance reenters the bathroom. She looks down to the animal's corpse and a moment later she's in the past.
[sblock=Postcognition]There are candles on the floor and the edge of the sink and their flickering light casts strange shapes on the walls. The weak yelping of a dog and the splashing of water fills the room.

Mad Dog is sat on the toilet, eyes on his hands. He's cleaning dirt from under his fingernails with a pocket knife. The large biker Chance saw in her last vision is here, too. He's standing in the doorway and looking inward with both arms crossed over his chest, his eyes hidden behind his sunglasses. A third man in the same Dogs of War jacket as the others is kneeling at the tub and Chance has to peer over his shoulder to get a good look at what's happening.

The dog is still alive, still struggling. The bag has already been pulled over its head and its legs have been taped. The third biker, overweight and suntanned, is holding it still while the tub fills with water. "Like this?" he asks uncertainly. The animal's head slips beneath the surface of the water.

Mad Dog keeps his eyes on his nails and doesn't respond, so the big one answers for him. "Just like that." A few moments pass and the dog goes quiet.

"You see, Saint Gestas?" It's Mad Dog now, shouting at no one in particular as far as Chance can tell. "You see what we're doing?" He gets to his feet and hammers the cabinet mirror with the heel of his fist.

All the candles flicker as one and Chance awakens from her vision.[/sblock]Chance shakes her head. She's getting dizzy from the repeated trips through time. She submerges herself in the past again, another minute ahead.[sblock=Postcognition]"What the hell were you expecting to happen?" It's the big fella, and he's crouched beside the tub. The dog is motionless in the water. "You lost your damned mind, Mad Dog?"

The two bikers are alone in the bathroom, the candles all extinguished. There's a rotten egg smell.

"I might have." Mad Dog has returned to his seat on the toilet. He has the figurine of Chance in his hands again and he's gazing at it absentmindedly. "But if you ever talk to me that way in front of the others again," he looks up at the bigger one, "I'll kill you."[/sblock]Chance is back in the present.

Last edited:

Mosier

First Post
When Chance returns to the trailer, Agnasci heads back to the truck. "Fine. Have it your way. Rest of us don't mind waiting around for the trap to spring, anyway," he grumbles, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

TillForPie

First Post
In the interest of keeping things moving we'll have Chance return to the group after taking a glimpse into the past.

Chance steps out of the trailer, chewing on the things she's seen. What were a bunch of bikers doing performing occult ceremonies out in the desert? Just what was it they were hoping to accomplish? Maybe Penrose and a good night's sleep could offer answers.

The group returns the flashlights and piles into the truck (Harper's familiar once again taking to the sky). Fifteen minutes after their arrival they're back on the road. Everyone is alert for a potential ambush by the Dogs of War but the return trip to Nazareth is uneventful. Faye stops for gas in Florence, a town the same size as Nazareth about halfway between there and the site of the group's investigation. Another fifteen minutes after filling up Faye is turning east toward Nazareth on Route 60.

The clock on the console reads 2:11 AM as the Tundra rolls down Main Street toward the tiny outdoor shopping center at its western end. Across the street Cheney's has just closed and the last of its patrons are filing out to the parking lot to head home. Otherwise the streets are quiet and empty. Faye turns into the shopping center, cuts through the empty parking lot, and pulls around behind the shops onto a road lined with dumpsters and truck delivery terminals. At the end of this road, tucked away behind all the other shops and out of view of the street, is the nondescript Nazareth Secondhand Books storefront. The vast majority of Nazareth's residents aren't aware this place even exists.

Faye pulls into a parking space, turns off the truck, and everyone gets out. With a loud CAW Harper's familiar drops from the air and settles in his hood so that it can come inside (Faye was not very pleased when it tried flying around in the shop). A few seconds later Faye's unlocking the door to the darkened store and letting everyone inside before stepping in and securing the door behind her. Faye hustles her way behind the counter and flips a switch on the wall. A few ceiling lights sputter on to reveal the store's interior, dusty and uninviting. Very few of the books here are less than a decade old, just enough to confirm to anyone snooping around that this is indeed a bookshop. The group files past the counter, piled high with Susan Johnson bodice-rippers, through a door marked Employees Only, and down a short hall. To the left is the storage room Harper's been staying in and to the right, through a door with an Out Of Order sign, is a bathroom. The bathroom is plain, with unpainted walls and cheap linoleum floors. Everyone crowds into the bathroom and Faye shuts the door after turning on the light.

Faye crosses the room and inspects the sink and its mirror for a moment before finding what she's looking for and giving the section a push. A thin slice of wall behind the sink gives way and the entire thing slides back to reveal a cramped passage. Faye leans in to grab a cord dangling from the ceiling, giving it a firm yank and illuminating the passage with a single bare bulb. She leads the way through the wall and down a very steep flight of steps that descends perhaps twelve feet underground.

The staircase opens into a cozy living room. The overstuffed furniture and dusty pastels indicate a room that likely hasn't seen redecoration since the 80s. There's a couch and a pair of chairs arranged around a glass coffee table, and on the table a bowl of M&M's and a stack of ancient Time magazines. Deng Xiaoping stares up from the cover of the topmost issue.

"I'll let him know we're here." Faye exits through a door to the south, leaving it open behind her. The door opens into a hall that extends out of sight to the west, and on the wall beyond the door hangs a large oil painting: It's about three feet wide and six feet tall and depicts an armored and sword-wielding man standing victorious over a supine demon. A second man kneels in a bottom corner of the painting, looking up at the first. A copper plate beneath the painting reads Saint Michael Triumphs over the Devil, Bartolomé Bermejo 1468. The painting clashes with the style of the room - it's out of place and eerily difficult to avoid staring at.

This is the furthest anyone but Faye has come into Penrose's sanctum.

Shayuri

First Post
Chance stares openly at the painting, but only until she gets to the table with the M&M's. She absently takes a fistful of the colorful little candies and pops one into her mouth. Overall she seems to radiate approval of the place as she examines the decor...she's been rapt with attention ever since Faye opened the secret passage. Her delight at that was undisguised.

She reaches down after a second and taps the cover of the topmost Time magazine.

"Memetic programming," Chance says knowingly. "People who don't save anything will keep boxes of these magazines. People who don't even read it will buy it. Because they're buying Time. And who doesn't want to save Time?" She taps her temple. "There are those who believe that Time magazine was just the first phase of a massive experiment in collective mental memetic programming. Of course, these days, the project's moved to the Internet, and it's a lot more subtle."

Another M&M went into her mouth. It crunched loudly when she chewed it.

(OOC - I was actually gonna have Chance check out the bathroom mirror in the trailer to see if Mad Dog broke it when he punched it, and if there was any blood on the glass. If we had some of his blood, it might make our investigations a loooooot easier. :))

TillForPie

First Post
(OOC - I was actually gonna have Chance check out the bathroom mirror in the trailer to see if Mad Dog broke it when he punched it, and if there was any blood on the glass. If we had some of his blood, it might make our investigations a loooooot easier. :))
It's no problem for Chance to have examined the mirror before leaving: The damage wasn't too dramatic, but Mad Dog did indeed crack it (see post 34). No blood on the glass as far as she could tell, though.

Remove ads