Nazareth Awakened - Chapter 02: Wives of Solomon

Rubberneck

First Post
Law circles the room intently examining what it has to offer. After a few he takes a seat in one of the chairs and awaits Penrose's arrival. While he waits he takes out his cellphone and punches in single number and dials. The group can hear only what he has to say (unless of course someone gets nosy and uses magic.)

"Hey, it's me..." "Yah she's doing better..." "Anyways I need a favor..." "No, that's not the only reason I call anymore..." "Yah yah I'm sorry...." "Seriously? I don't have time right now can you do it or not?..."

There's a long pause as it seems he gets an ear full from the other end.

"Thank you. I need to know if PPD has had any run ins with a biker gang called the Dogs of War. Also can you run this plate? Ida, George, Ocean, David, William, Tom..." "Thanks again, call me when you got it."

With that he hangs up the phone and places it back in his pocket and avoids looking at the others in case they were listening to avoid having to answer the obvious questions they would ask.

Mosier

First Post
Agnasci is unsettled by the painting, but doesn't even try to look away. Everything else in the room seems mundane in comparison. He can't help but ask himself questions about the scene he's staring at.

Who is the second man, staring up from the corner? What exactly was the devil's crime, anyway?

This leads his train of thought even further down the rabbit-hole. Who was the bad guy supposed to be in the Bible, anyway? The devil seemed pretty damn sympathetic, to Agnasci's reckoning. The snake's biggest crime was to give humanity self-awareness. Knowledge is power, and God isn't willing to share, but the devil is...

TillForPie

First Post
Just as Law is tucking his cell phone back into his pocket Faye reappears between Agnasci and the painting. She's in her socks, boots removed. "He's busy so he'll see you in his workshop." Penrose is a private man and has, until now, never admitted anyone into his sanctum. Faye waves everyone along and the group troops through the door and down the long hallway beyond.

"Don't touch anything," Faye says as she walks with the group toward a solitary metal door at the end of the hall, "And no magic without Penrose's say-so." The door has a keyhole but no knob and has been left a few inches ajar. Faye's boots are on the floor here. "Shoes off." Everyone complies before following Faye through the door.

As soon as each mage crosses the threshold into the next room they're hit with a strange sensation. The feeling is that of calm, quiet obsession, and they can sense it flowing through them like energy. In the same way that a patriot might feel an overwhelming sense of pride at a national monument, or in the way that a pilgrim might be overcome with religious awe at a holy site, the group is momentarily touched by the feel of this place. Within a few seconds the sensation has mostly faded and there's no mistaking it for a genuine, naturally-felt emotion, but it's there, buzzing in the background like static. It's the resonance of this place, and those who find it to be contrary to their natures are likely to be uncomfortable.

The room beyond the hall is a combination living and dining room, with a couch, television, and bookshelf on one side and a dining table, refrigerator, and countertop on the other. There's a water cooler by the fridge, and on it a stack of large plastic cups. Each of the group has occasionally been offered water with those cups, Penrose explaining that he's feeding them tass, or mana in its physical form.

"Watch out, that might still be wet." Faye circumnavigates a pair of glyphs painted on the tile floor at the edge of the room.

When each member of the group spots the glyphs for the first time what they see is garbled and personal for each of them (one might see the glyphs as graffiti, another as a puddle of water, and so on), only revealed for what they are after a shake of the head or a blink of the eyes: They're Atlantean runes. Penrose has been having everyone read packets over the last few months - packets full of senseless questions and messy diagrams. Supposedly these packets are beginner instruction in the use of these runes but it's only now that the mages are seeing actual runes for the first time. They just know what the runes are. The precise meaning or purpose of the glyphs remains beyond everyone in the group, but it's after spotting the fresh runes that something else is noticed: The room is well-lit but the ceiling light and table lamp are both off. The light here has no identifiable source.

There are several doors leading off from this room in various directions and Faye approaches the closest, knocking.

"Come in."

Faye opens the door and steps inside, the others following. There is another rune painted on the floor in the doorway but by the looks of it it's been here a while.

Everything in the next room (including Faye and each of the others once they've crossed the threshold) has a faint blue glow to it and Chance receives a small static shock from nothing at all when she steps inside. The walls of this chamber are lined with bookshelves, all packed tight with musty tomes and containers of various shapes and sizes. The room is dominated by a massive table with a large street map of Nazareth stretched across it. Two corners of the map are held down by stacks of books, another by a plate with an untouched steak dinner, and the last by a gleaming sword. A white crystal hangs by a cord from the ceiling over the table and it's swinging with a life of its own. The terminus of each swing leaves the crystal directed at a point on the map marked with a red pushpin. There are about half a dozen such pins on the map, scattered throughout the town.

Penrose, outlined in blue like everything else, is sitting at the table. His is the only chair in the room. He's a tall, thickly-built man in his 50s or 60s with overly pale skin and short brown hair. He'd be more attractive if he got some sun, but as it is he looks somewhat sickly. His chino pants and pullover sweater are the epitome of WASP fashion, and unlike everyone else he's in footwear: A pair of brown loafers.

Everyone gathers around the table and waits.

After a long silence Penrose finally looks up from the map, eyes on Faye. She looks back expectantly. "That'll be all," he says. Faye nods and exits, looking somewhat dejected. Penrose doesn't seem to notice and he turns his gaze on his students. "So." His chair creaks as he leans into it. "Tell me."

Mosier

First Post
Agnasci begins the account.

"We found the ley, out in the desert. There was a trailer just sitting out there. There had been some kind of botched ritual, and it somehow summoned a spirit of fear. The ritual involved animal sacrifice, and a statue carved to look like Chance, but I'll let her tell that part..."

Rubberneck

First Post
Law continues,

"Looks to have been done by some biker gang called the Dogs of War. I called in a favor from a... contact... In the Phoenix Police Department. Figure out if they've had any contact with this biker gang. I'm also running the plates that were taken off the trailer. I personally have never had any run ins with them so I'm guessing they're new to these parts. I'm sure if they were local I would have ran into them on the beat."

(OOC :: Mosier I'm not sure if Chance told us about that figurine that looked like her.)

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - I'll say she did, on the drive back)

"Okay, we don't know the plates are from the trailer, but they might be," Chance corrects. "Here's how it worked."

"We found this old trailer out in the middle of nowhere, and when we explored it we found a dead dog in the bathroom. Murderered dog. So...I did some mojo, waved my Gringotts wand around, and I saw a few things. First, there were three bikers there from the Dogs of War. One they called Mad Dog, and he seemed to be in charge. The other one was bigger, and they never mentioned his name. He said he'd done something, and tossed this license plate in. 'IGODWT.' The other one was holding the dog in the bathtub."

She strolls farther into the sanctum, looking around. She brushes at her arm, curious about the blue glow, but keeps up with the narrative.

"Mad Dog was carving a wooden doll that looked like me. Wearing the same clothes I'm wearing now." Chance let that sink in a bit, eyebrows raised a bit. "Anyway, he called out to a 'saint Gestus' or something as he seemed to be doing some kind of ritual by killing the dog. The candles went out so I didn't see much then, but there was a sulfur smell. And Mad Dog broke the mirror right then too."

Chance shrugged. "Couldn't see what happened, and the big guy didn't seem too impresssed. Mad Dog threatened to kill him if he ever talked trash about him again in front of the others. And...that was it. There was a spirit lurking around when we got there, but Harper's the expert on those."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper is thinking about how he should have grabbed a handful of M's when he had the chance and is only halfway paying attention when Chance says his name. He starts guiltily.

"Umm, it was a spirit that feeds on fear. It claimed it was drawn through when the ritual failed. It also said the ritual was attempting to summon something not of the Shadow. I took that to mean an embodied spirit or a Twilight spirit but the way it said it didn't sit right with me. It was fading so I couldn't question it closer..." Something Chance said that lodged in his mind like a thorn starts to coalesce into an idea and Harper frowns.

"This is just wild speculation but what if they were attempting to summon us in order to get to you? I don't have proof other than the strange little carving of Chance..." Harper lapses into silence and his eyes dart nervously towards the door. He turns towards Law. "Do you think we could have been followed?"

[/section]

Rubberneck

First Post
The idea creeps into the back of Law's mind.

"It's possible, I wasn't really paying attention to the possibility. I don't think they would though."

Shayuri

First Post
"It still doesn't explain how he knew who I was, or what I'd be wearing," Chance points out.

Then she pauses.

"Though...I guess I -have- been wearing this all day. If he saw me early, then went straight there ahead of us..." After a thoughtful pause, Chance shakes her head. "No, the timing still doesn't work. Faye came and picked me up before I'd set foot out of my place. Besides, a wood carving of someone...doesn't seem like that'd be a very strong tie unless he had something of mine to use with it. It's just a piece of wood otherwise. Just making it look like me..."

Chance looks at Penrose. "Would that even work?"

TillForPie

First Post
Penrose listens in silence as the group recounts what they've found, eyes on the crystal swinging above the map. He adjusts himself in his seat uncomfortably at the mention of the carving of Chance but doesn't interrupt.

Once the others have finished he speaks. "Spirits," he begins to Harper, not unkindly, "are made of ephemera. Ephemera in our world exists in a state called twilight. An embodied spirit is one that has been given a material form. If they were summoning something 'not of the Shadow' that would rule out spirits of all kinds." He shrugs. "I wouldn't put too much trust in the word of a spirit in any case."

He continues to everyone, "I'm not overly concerned about the... Dogs of War." He doesn't seem impressed by the name. "This doesn't sound like any Awakened magic I've heard of and no," to Chance, "a carving wouldn't be particularly useful for sympathetic spellcasting. More likely it's just a sleeper sticking his nose where he shouldn't. Still, you might want to vary your routine. Perhaps putting up a shield each morning for the next few days is in order."

"You're all free to continue whatever investigation you please but biker witchcraft is low on my list of priorities." Penrose picks up a coffee mug from the table and takes a sip. "My main concern is the ley. I'll be having Faye inform the police of the trailer anonymously in the morning. Hopefully once it's been moved the line will fix itself."

It's clear that Penrose is content to sweep the entire matter under the rug.

"There have been other strange happenings in Nazareth recently." He gestures to the map with the red pushpins. The crystal continues to swing above the table. "Dormant hallows have been appearing all over town." A hallow, Penrose has explained, is a place where magic manages to trickle down from the Supernal Realm. He has said that his sanctum contains a hallow. "Until now mine has been the only one in Nazareth."

Penrose leans forward and points to a pushpin just outside of town. "The old Peace in Christ Church." Law, having grown up in Nazareth, is the only one to know what this is. It was a nondenominational church that shut down over fifteen years ago when its owner killed himself. "One's appeared there. And here," he points to a pin in one of the suburban neighborhoods south of Main Street, "is another. 1505 Robert E Lee Road. Likely people living there. I want you four to look into those tomorrow night. You can split into pairs, or..." He waves a hand dismissively as he leans back into his chair. "Whatever. Just take a look around, see if there's anything unusual going on."

He returns to staring at the swinging crystal. He hasn't ordered the group out, so if any of them has something to say or ask this is as good a chance as any.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases