• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Hobgoblin stat block

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
MxXIBUX.jpg

Edit:Updated with a complete image from [MENTION=6777168]Wolfskin[/MENTION].

Thaumaturge.

Last edited:

Thaumaturge

From the playtest that is:

+4 AC
+5' Speed
+2 Str
+2 Dex
-4 Chr

A different special ability. "Martial advantage" instead of "Disciplined".

And 100 xp instead of 20.

Thaumaturge.

Boarstorm

First Post
Interesting. More of a step back toward traditional hobgoblins, IMO.

I think I liked the playtest racial better, though. This one seems swingy.

Although I notice we don't have the full stat block this time. No weapons/attacks listed.

Wolfskin

Explorer
Wow, 7 extra damage for a Challenge 1/2 monster sure looks brutal. Hobgoblins in large groups will dangerous even for higher level characters.

EDIT: if Hobgoblins are CR 1/2 monsters, I guess it's safe to assume regular Goblins are CR 1/4 monsters, right?

Thaumaturge

Wow, 7 extra damage for a Challenge 1/2 monster sure looks brutal. Hobgoblins in large groups will dangerous even for higher level characters.

Yeah, for low level characters there is a pretty big (more than twice) difference between facing one hobgoblin and facing two.

Thaumaturge.

Quickleaf

Legend
Well, it's clear XP have seen some heavy revision since the playtest!

Has anyone grokked the "Challenge" descriptor yet? Is "Challenge 1/2" meant to imply a single hobgoblin is worth "half" a 1st level PC in a fight, so I should assume a 1st level PC should have a fair fight against 2 hobgoblins?

Because "Martial Advantage" makes it seem unlikely that a 1st level PC would survive an encounter with 2 hobgoblins in a straight-up fight.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Has anyone grokked the "Challenge" descriptor yet? Is "Challenge 1/2" meant to imply a single hobgoblin is worth "half" a 1st level PC in a fight, so I should assume a 1st level PC should have a fair fight against 2 hobgoblins?
Challenge rating is based on a party of that level. So, a 1st level PC party should have a fair fight against 2 hobgoblins.

Well, "fair" probably isn't right. "Dangerous, but not lethal" is more like it.

Klaus

First Post
Well, it's clear XP have seen some heavy revision since the playtest!

Because "Martial Advantage" makes it seem unlikely that a 1st level PC would survive an encounter with 2 hobgoblins in a straight-up fight.

From a D&D Q&A from a while back:

The CR of a monster is based on the level at which a party of four player characters could fight that monster and have a moderate-to-challenging fight.

So a party of four 1st-level PCs would have a moderate-to-challenging fight with two hobgoblins.

Remove ads