D&D 5E 5e Hobgoblin stat block

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks for posting this, Thaumaturge.

I'm very sorry to see the Charisma drop -- it's a pet peeve of mine, but it always feels cheap to me.

One of the consistent ways that evil humanoids are presented in D&D is with a low (sub-human) Charisma.

Bugbear Cha 9
Bullywug Cha 7
Goblin Cha 8
Gnoll Cha 8
Kobold Cha 8
Orc Cha 10
Orog Cha 10

(against the baseline of Human Commoner Cha 10).

All evil humanoids are consequently "dull and possibly uneasy", or not able "to interact with others well"? It's always bugged me. But then I had the Hobgoblin, which in the latest play test materials was

Hobgoblin Cha 13.

Hobgoblins could be confident, eloquent, and leaders. I'm sorry that's being taken away.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
A heck of a step up from the early playtest days, where I ran a 1st-level party of complete newbies through the Caves of Chaos, and they massacred the entire hobgoblin complex in the first session. To this day, I don't think they even know that there are regular goblins, since their first "easy monster" was hobgoblins.

Hobgoblins could be confident, eloquent, and leaders. I'm sorry that's being taken away.
I think the idea is most hobgoblins are totally subservient to their superiors. Low charisma makes sense for a soldier. The captains or whatever probably have really good charisma.

Wolfskin

Explorer
Updated statblock posted:

MxXIBUX.jpg

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think the idea is most hobgoblins are totally subservient to their superiors. Low charisma makes sense for a soldier. The captains or whatever probably have really good charisma.

And that's perfectly fine as an explanation for the stats (even if it differs from the play test). The point is that none of the default-generic evil humanoids are more self-respecting than a default human farmer. We continue to pay lip-service to "Charisma isn't prettiness", but there appears to be a (subconscious?) need to make non-human humanoids less charismatic than bog-standard humans.

Wolfskin

Explorer
And that's perfectly fine as an explanation for the stats (even if it differs from the play test). The point is that none of the default-generic evil humanoids are more self-respecting than a default human farmer. We continue to pay lip-service to "Charisma isn't prettiness", but there appears to be a (subconscious?) need to make non-human humanoids less charismatic than bog-standard humans.
This may be because the measure of leadership for generic evil humanoids is "the ability to beat your equals into the ground until they submit to your rule". Perhaps Strength is the goblinoid's Charisma?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This may be because the measure of leadership for generic evil humanoids is "the ability to beat your equals into the ground until they submit to your rule". Perhaps Strength is the goblinoid's Charisma?

And it is the undifferentiated, unimaginative application of this sort of answer to all races that I find uninspiring and mildly racist.

As I said originally, this is a pet peeve -- I don't expect it to be widely shared.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
And it is the undifferentiated, unimaginative application of this sort of answer to all races that I find uninspiring and mildly racist.

As I said originally, this is a pet peeve -- I don't expect it to be widely shared.
PREACH IT BROTHER!

Let our voices ring out from swamp to cave! Let them know we shall be held down no longer!

Yeah... I've never been fond of the "generic fantasy" treatment of 'humanoids' in most game systems, let alone the "color coded for your convenience" attitude of D&D.

Remove ads