D&D 5E WotC will not allow translation of D&D NEXT.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
So I poked Greg Bilsland on Twitter, and he responded:

Me - Hey @gregbilsland, @mikemearls,there are some questions about eventual translation of #DNDnext here.

Greg - @mudbunny74 Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Translation is definitely on our minds, but we have nothing to announce at this time.

(link to my tweet - https://twitter.com/mudbunny74/status/484723839440814080)

So any statements of any kind indicating that translation will not happen (or will happen, to be precise) is premature at this time.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Regardless of the eventuality, this seems to be off balance.

And seems to be a very big lost opportunity.

And seems to present a door for distrust to enter between business partners.

Best case, I can see Hasbro just not being ready with their licensing plans.
Those would work better with good coordination.

A related question: How much are other gaming products translated? I gather that Magic and Pokemon were widely translated. How much were the different D&d editions? What about Pathfinder? Or, popular board games? Or games as a whole?

Thx!

TomB

Plageman

Explorer
I don't know how it is Japan or in Germany , but in France the translation of D&D has been handled by at least 4 different structures.

Most of the time the number of translated products was just -low- (usually the first year of product line is published in 2-3 years) and the speed of release -slow- (some products released 2 to 4 years after the English version).

The only time we had a fast product release schedule was for 4E but then the local licensee just sort of bankrupted after the MM3 release and the market was saturated with (translated) Pathfinder products.

In such a situation I can understand that WotC won't rush trying to seek a licensee for the French market.

BTW doesn't The Dark Eye RPG sell better than any edition of DnD ?

Plageman

Explorer
A related question: How much are other gaming products translated? I gather that Magic and Pokemon were widely translated. How much were the different D&d editions? What about Pathfinder? Or, popular board games? Or games as a whole?

In France 4E has been (partially) translated but none of the recent D&D board games (ie Castle Ravenloft, Conquest of Nerath, Lords of Waterdeep) or miniature games (Dungeon Command) has been translated. Now to be honest I think that except for two artbooks and the D&D board game from 2002 nothing has ever been translated that wasn't an RPG book or box.

Sonny

Adventurer
I don't know how it is Japan or in Germany , but in France the translation of D&D has been handled by at least 4 different structures.

Most of the time the number of translated products was just -low- (usually the first year of product line is published in 2-3 years) and the speed of release -slow- (some products released 2 to 4 years after the English version).

The only time we had a fast product release schedule was for 4E but then the local licensee just sort of bankrupted after the MM3 release and the market was saturated with (translated) Pathfinder products.

In such a situation I can understand that WotC won't rush trying to seek a licensee for the French market.

BTW doesn't The Dark Eye RPG sell better than any edition of DnD ?

It's the best selling RPG in Germany, that's it though.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah, the best selling RPG in Germany unfortunately is still DSA. After that, it's Shadowrun, and then probably PF and the WoD stuff. Splittermond is coming up stong, too.

PF is doing fine here with quality translations. But the German language based games will always do better I guess.

Sonny

Adventurer
Yeah, the best selling RPG in Germany unfortunately is still DSA. After that, it's Shadowrun, and then probably PF and the WoD stuff. Splittermond is coming up stong, too.

PF is doing fine here with quality translations. But the German language based games will always do better I guess.

Good to know Pathfinder is doing well over there and has decent translations.

I wish we could get more English translations of Aventuria over here, I really like the setting from what I've read about it in one of the few English translated DSA books. As well as from playing the Drakhensang, Realms of Arkania and Daedalic Entertainment games.

Remove ads