Expanding the English Lexicon

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I have had loanwords on my mind. English is mostly loanwords, very little is left of actual Anglo-Saxon. This is why English is so flexible and expressive. So I want to do something to contribute to the English language. I want to find foreign words and expressions that should added to English. If you know a foreign language and can think of something that is easier to say in that language than in English, let us add that to our lexicon. I want to make a list and spread it around. Spanish, Italian, French, and German already have added a lot to English, so we will skip those. Go straight for the exotic, send me words from Farsi, Japanese, Swahili, or other foreign tongues. Artificial language is are fine, too, whether it is Esperanto or Klingon. Just make it a meaningful and useful addition to English that will be easy for people raised in America to pronounce and remember...

Hussar

Legend
The problem is, for these words to be true cognates, the meaning should be the same. But many of the words you are asking for are culturally based and don't translate worth a damn.

For example, shikataganai in Japanese translates to something along the lines "that there is nothing to be done about it".

But the fatalism inherent in that statement is seen as very negative by most Westerners. But it is not meant in a negative sense at all.

delericho

Legend
English grows best when it grows organically. Trying to forcefully import words to the language makes me double plus sad.

(Although it occurs to me that Orwell missed a trick with Newspeak - there's no need for "double plus", since "plus plus" does it just as well. But that's an aside.)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
English grows best when it grows organically. Trying to forcefully import words to the language makes me double plus sad.

(Although it occurs to me that Orwell missed a trick with Newspeak - there's no need for "double plus", since "plus plus" does it just as well. But that's an aside.)

"Plus plus" sounds like you are stuttering.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Well, this is an experiment, mostly for fun. Neomots get invented and added to English all of the time, this is nothing new. I want to aim for more exotic fair than most people are used to. If I can make a list of 20-30 interesting new terms, I will blog the whole list at a few locations online and ask people to share...

Remove ads