D&D General D&D No Longer In Portugese

Portugese-language sales have not been enough to warrant their continuation.

WotC today released the following statement, as Portugese-language sales have not been enough to warrant their continuation. Some products will continue to be available in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish.

We are making the difficult decision to halt Portuguese product later this year.
We will continue to release D&D products in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish.

On D&D Beyond they provided a little more detail.

Dungeons & Dragons is a global game that we strive to make as accessible as possible to our wide and varied audience. However, we’ve also had to confront rising costs and shifts in global demand, even as D&D continues to grow.

Portuguese language product sales have not kept pace with rising costs across the board, which means that we are making the difficult decision to halt Portuguese product later this year, after the following three planned books:
  • Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons
  • Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel
  • Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen
We will continue to release D&D products in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish. While not all products will be available in all languages, or at the same time, we intend to focus on these six languages.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
At least in English language literary critic8sm, a lot of gritty 20th century Swotd & Sorcery is specifically linked to the picaresque genre: Gahfred & the Grey Mouser, or Conan. Probably moat Westerns fall in that line, too. Amd the d&D Rogue is that sort of vagabond trickster cowboy figure.
Yes, but in Spanish itself, the "Picaro" began to lean heavily into becoming a Cassanova-like figure, picking a lot of bard-like undertones. And then it became a mainstay of 80's S** comedies that made a lot of emphasis on the picaro as a Faun-like predator. And in contemporary usage, it is used mainly to mean someone is charming, s***** adventurous, and with a strong libido. A picaro has maliciousness, ingenuity and inventiveness lie rogues, but only as secondary traits that support the ability of the character to get laid.

Meanwhile, there are lots of archaic synnonyms that lack those connotations. Truhan, tunante, bribon, renegado, rebelde...

In the 2nd Ed "rogue" was translated by Ed. Zinco as "ladrón", and I have got "Manual del buen Ladrón". In 3rd Ed by Devir it was translated by "picaro". "Picaro" is from the literary subgenre of "Picaresca" (Picaresque), and it is used for somebody with bad intentions linked with lust or crimes without violence.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In the 2nd Ed "rogue" was translated by Ed. Zinco as "ladrón", and I have got "Manual del buen Ladrón". In 3rd Ed by Devir it was translated by "picaro". "Picaro" is from the literary subgenre of "Picaresca" (Picaresque), and it is used for somebody with bad intentions linked with lust or crimes without violence.
In 2E, the English word was Thief: 3E changed that to Rogue.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the import fees/taxes for books are like in Brazil? From some limited professional experience, I know that Brazil has particularly high taxes related to electronics, which can make it a very difficult market to break into. I have no idea if game books have similar issues, or how specific the issue is to my industry.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I'm curious how the language situation is for Portuguese. I'm Dutch (Netherlands/Holland), we're a tiny country and I think we only had a Dutch version of the D&D Red Box (Basic D&D) 35+ years ago. In that same Era we also had a Dutch translation of Das Swartze Auge (The Dark Eye) and things like HeroQuest and StarQuest. At the time I bought it because it was so rare and the amount of different products for it was extremely limited. But I preferred the English version, because the Dutch versions sounded/read so 'campy'.

We don't have a tradition of dubbing TV, like our German neighbors (you haven't lived until you've watched 80s A-Team, German dubbed ;) ). We tend to watch TV in the original language with subs. And for those of us that speak/understand a different language, we abhor the Dutch subs. For me it's even as bad as I prefer the English subs for series/movies I don't understand the language of. Dubbed anime in English I find a horror!

How is that in countries (besides) Portugal that speak Portuguese as their first language? Do people that play pnp RPGs prefer to read the books in their own language or in English? I know that in Germany and France these things are often translated and I understand that culture, especially in France 40 years ago their were primarily language puritsts (of French)...

Note: The Dutch version of DSA was also campy, but my German is abysmal, so reading that in it's original version is not doable. Our Belgian neighbors have done a (limited) Dutch version of DSA and I bought that mostly due to nostalgia. I do have a bunch of English DSA pdfs and prefer to read it in English over Dutch. Maybe I just have a Dutch inferiority complex... ;)

LAbaddon

Explorer
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the import fees/taxes for books are like in Brazil? From some limited professional experience, I know that Brazil has particularly high taxes related to electronics, which can make it a very difficult market to break into. I have no idea if game books have similar issues, or how specific the issue is to my industry.
In Brazil books have constitutional tax immunity (books, magazines, and even printing supplies for books). So the only thing that affects the value of the importation is the exchange rate.

LAbaddon

Explorer
I'm curious how the language situation is for Portuguese. I'm Dutch (Netherlands/Holland), we're a tiny country and I think we only had a Dutch version of the D&D Red Box (Basic D&D) 35+ years ago. In that same Era we also had a Dutch translation of Das Swartze Auge (The Dark Eye) and things like HeroQuest and StarQuest. At the time I bought it because it was so rare and the amount of different products for it was extremely limited. But I preferred the English version, because the Dutch versions sounded/read so 'campy'.

We don't have a tradition of dubbing TV, like our German neighbors (you haven't lived until you've watched 80s A-Team, German dubbed ;) ). We tend to watch TV in the original language with subs. And for those of us that speak/understand a different language, we abhor the Dutch subs. For me it's even as bad as I prefer the English subs for series/movies I don't understand the language of. Dubbed anime in English I find a horror!

How is that in countries (besides) Portugal that speak Portuguese as their first language? Do people that play pnp RPGs prefer to read the books in their own language or in English? I know that in Germany and France these things are often translated and I understand that culture, especially in France 40 years ago their were primarily language puritsts (of French)...

Note: The Dutch version of DSA was also campy, but my German is abysmal, so reading that in it's original version is not doable. Our Belgian neighbors have done a (limited) Dutch version of DSA and I bought that mostly due to nostalgia. I do have a bunch of English DSA pdfs and prefer to read it in English over Dutch. Maybe I just have a Dutch inferiority complex... ;)
I have no problem reading in English... to be honest, I tend to buy books in English instead of awaiting for a late translation. But many (the majority, I believe) don´t know English, so, their only option is to wait for a translated version...

Von Ether

Legend
A recent move by Free League now makes even more sense. They recently released a fantasy game, Dragonbane, which is a BRP variant that uses a d20 instead of d100 and came in two languages right out of the gate, Swedish and English.

Free League has already allowed local publishers to crowdfund translations in German and French, which I guess is a way to break into a market when translations are expensive.

Remove ads

Remove ads