D&D General WizKids Announces New D&D and Critical Role Miniatures for 2024

Several new releases coming in the first half 2024 for D&D and Critical Role licensed minis and sculptures.

WizKids announced pre-orders for several new products coming in 2024 from Dungeons & Dragons and Critical Role.

ClassicsCollection.png

The D&D Classics Collection line of pre-painted miniatures based on the original artwork from the original Monster Manual expands with the D&D Classics Collection: Monsters K-N set. These miniatures are sold as a set featuring a kobold, lich, lizardfolk, mind flayer, minotaur, merfolk, mummy, and naga retailing for $89.99 with a release scheduled for February 2024.

planescape.png

The D&D Icons of the Realm line of pre-painted miniatures will receive its 30th expansion with the Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse set in March 2024. The base set will feature 47 figures from the Planescape expansion including modrons, cranium rats, fiends, celestials, and more. Random boosters will be available in April 2024 and feature 1 Large and 3 Medium or Small pre-painted miniatures for a retail price of $19.99. As with other Icons of the Realm sets, there will also be a single larger-than-Large size miniature with the Whirlwyrm boxed miniature for $49.99. The Character Miniature Boxed Set for this expansion includes Fell, Morte, Musteval, Shemeshka, Planar Philosopher, Transcendent Order Conduit, and Transcendand Order Instinct for $49.99. A limited edition boxed set with a collection of miniatures (pictured above) including the modron R04M, Doomguard Rot Blade, Bariaur Wanderer, Warden Archon, and Shemeshka’s Bodygaurd will also be available for $49.99.

adulttimedragonsolicitimage_1024x1024.png

The D&D Icons of the Realm: Adult Time Dragon is a pre-painted miniature featuring the Time Dragon with one hand? Paw? Claw? Resting on an hourglass. This individual boxed miniature will be available in April 2024 with a retail price of $99.99.

greendragontrophyplaque_2_1024x1024.png

Two releases for the D&D Replicas of the Realm line of life-sized home décor replicas are on the way. The first is the Green Dragon Trophy Plaque. This foam and latex hand-painted sculpture will be available in January 2024 with a retail price of $479.99.

redwyrmling.jpg

Red Dragon Wymling Foam Figure 50th Anniversary is also on its way later this year. The lightweight and hand-painted life-size figure stands at just under 2 ½ feet tall to look dangerously cute in your game room in celebration of the 50th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons. The sculpture will be available in April 2024 for a retail price of $649.99.

cr-calamity.png

WizKids also announced two miniature products licensed from Critical Role. The Critical Role Exandria Unlimited - Calamity Boxed Set has pre-painted miniatures of Cerrit Agrupnin, Laerryn Coramar-Seelie, Loquatius Seelie, Nydas Okiro, Patia Por’co, and Zerxus Ilerez. This set is scheduled for a February 2024 release with a retail price of $49.99.

shademother.png

Also from Critical Role, the Shademother Boxed Miniature is a six-inch tall pre-painted figure of the mother of the shade creepers featured in the Bells Hells campaign. The boxed miniature will be available in April 2024 with a retail price of $44.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Clint_L

Hero
I believe there's been some experiments with non-blind boxes, but the price just doesn't work out nicely. Basically pre-painted mini prices are subsidised by collectors, who buy tons of them hoping to get rare figures to sell on the miniature market to other collectors. They try and increase utility for people actually gaming with them by making all the most used and low-level monsters "common".
To clarify, most of the sets mentioned by the OP are not blind boxes. There are no blind boxes of Critical Role miniatures. Wizkids does make many lines of blind boxes, but in recent years have shifted their production to focus on sets such as shown in the OP.

As a painting enthusiast, I think the main problem with Wizkids pre-painted miniatures (PPM) is that the painting is very poor. But if can get a deal on them, I love repainting them, especially some of their monsters.

Edit: repainted Wizkids Critical Role miniature:
Nergaliid.jpg

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
To clarify, most of the sets mentioned by the OP are not blind boxes. There are no blind boxes of Critical Role miniatures. Wizkids does make many lines of blind boxes, but in recent years have shifted their production to focus on sets such as shown in the OP.

As a painting enthusiast, I think the main problem with Wizkids pre-painted miniatures (PPM) is that the painting is very poor. But if can get a deal on them, I love repainting them, especially some of their monsters.

View attachment 295189
wow, that is great re-paint!! I also repaint and add washes & touch ups.

Abstruse

Legend

View attachment 295189
Yes, if it wasn't clear in the article, the only blind box is the boosters for the Planescape line. Everything else is blister packs or box sets with set miniatures.

Stormonu

Legend
The blind boxes used to be a great deal when you were starting out getting miniatures, as you'd end up with lots of kobolds, goblins, orcs and the like. As the years have gone by the value has unfortunately gone down (the 1st sets had like 9 miniatures for $10, they're now $20 for 4). For me now, the best thing to do is buy the singles when I see something I don't already have or need a specific creature. The paint quality has varied over the years and has gone up and down. Ovearall, it is kinda hard to beat the time saved by being able to just plop them down on the table - just an average miniature takes me 4-8 hours to paint up and for me is rarely better quality than the prepaints.

If I didn't have so many already, I would have gone the pawn route with the likes of the Pathfinder pawn boxes, or possibly the acrylics - the pawns are cheap and they and the acrylics take up a lot less space than full 3D minis.

BB Shockwave

Explorer
Can't wait to see what's in the Planescape set. I am hoping for a re-release of the base Modrons (now on clear bases) so Common Monodrones and Duodrones, Uncommon Tridrones, Quadrones and Pentadrones, and hopefully a few new Hierarchs too. It is a tempting thing to reproduce the Great Modron March on my desk. :p

Clint_L

Hero
The blind boxes used to be a great deal when you were starting out getting miniatures, as you'd end up with lots of kobolds, goblins, orcs and the like. As the years have gone by the value has unfortunately gone down (the 1st sets had like 9 miniatures for $10, they're now $20 for 4). For me now, the best thing to do is buy the singles when I see something I don't already have or need a specific creature. The paint quality has varied over the years and has gone up and down. Ovearall, it is kinda hard to beat the time saved by being able to just plop them down on the table - just an average miniature takes me 4-8 hours to paint up and for me is rarely better quality than the prepaints.

If I didn't have so many already, I would have gone the pawn route with the likes of the Pathfinder pawn boxes, or possibly the acrylics - the pawns are cheap and they and the acrylics take up a lot less space than full 3D minis.
I love painting miniatures so for me that’s a feature not a flaw, but I hear you on the extra time investment. With practice it gets much faster, and the quality is far better than factory paints. However, painting miniatures is either your thing, or it isn’t. It’s also an expensive hobby.

Wizkids also sells sets of tokens for 5e and those seem like a fantastic alternative. And the 2d acrylic standees made by Archon, Wizkids and others look really great and are much easier to store or travel with.

BB Shockwave

Explorer

View attachment 295189
The Nergaliid is one of those minis that looks great even with its original paintjob. I use mine as a powerful beefy Green Slaad.
DSCN0842.jpg

Remove ads

Remove ads