D&D 5E Official D&D Basic Discussion Thread

mips42

Adventurer
I *finally* got to sit down with Basic for good read through and, I have to say, it just felt like D&D. I know this may sound obvious, since it IS D&D but, really, this is a big deal to me.
As I touched on in the post where I talked about my initial impressions, 3e was D&D but felt a bit on the tactical-board-game side. 4e was D&D but felt quite MMO-like.
Reading 5e made me want to play it. It made me want to build a character (I did) and play.
If reading the rules makes you want to play the game, that's a good thing.

[sblock]
All content provided on this post is for informational purposes only. The owner of this post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided.
The owner of the post will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
Keep out of range of children.
Do not take with alcohol.
Your mileage may vary.

[/sblock]

Venthrac

First Post
I *finally* got to sit down with Basic for good read through and, I have to say, it just felt like D&D. I know this may sound obvious, since it IS D&D but, really, this is a big deal to me.
As I touched on in the post where I talked about my initial impressions, 3e was D&D but felt a bit on the tactical-board-game side. 4e was D&D but felt quite MMO-like.
Reading 5e made me want to play it. It made me want to build a character (I did) and play.
If reading the rules makes you want to play the game, that's a good thing.
[/sblock]

Hear hear! I felt exactly the same way when i read it.

occam

Adventurer
Hmmm, given that no other spell has this bizarre higher level effect, I'm gonna go with typo.

Other spells go up a damage die per level, so think it's meant to be +1d8 per slot level above 2nd.

Given the way spiritual weapon works (lasting 10 rounds), that would be way overpowered. The wording's a little awkward, but I believe it's accurate.

It's better (or at least, more powerful) than the playtest version, which was +1 damage per level above 2nd.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Given the way spiritual weapon works (lasting 10 rounds), that would be way overpowered. The wording's a little awkward, but I believe it's accurate.

It's better (or at least, more powerful) than the playtest version, which was +1 damage per level above 2nd.

Ok good to know, thanks!

Plissken

Explorer
I'm hoping I'm understanding this right. In 5e, spellcasters can only prepare a certain number of spells from the list of spells in their spellbook that is equal to Int or Wis Mod + caster level? NOT, prepare any spell of levels you can cast until you fill up your slots?

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm hoping I'm understanding this right. In 5e, spellcasters can only prepare a certain number of spells from the list of spells in their spellbook that is equal to Int or Wis Mod + caster level? NOT, prepare any spell of levels you can cast until you fill up your slots?

Yes, this is how it worked for Clerics during the entire 2-year playtest, and for all other spellcasters since a few months later.

It's not traditional Vancian casting anymore. As [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION] noted before, it's more like everyone is a 3e Sorcerer who can also swap her known spells on a daily basis.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
During the playtest, I wrote that 5th edition would almost certainly be too complex a game to replace 0e for me as my default dungeon-crawl game, but it had great potential to replace 2e as my default fantasy narrative game.

And now that I've seen it, I can honestly say that my prediction has been fulfilled. I'll almost certainly keep on using OD&D for megadungeons, but for story-driven games, 5th edition is a clear winner.

So, bravo WotC, you finally got D&D for right. Only took you 14 years; well done. :)

Wormwood

Adventurer
So we played the Starter Set last night

Ran three players through the Starter Adventure last night. They were killed by[sblock]goblins and one hit from a bugbear[/sblock]

Granting unfamiliarity with both the rules and their character abilities, combats still ran quickly (actual quote from veteran 4e player, "Wait, it's my turn again? Already?"). It only took them an hour and a half to get killed.

Still have to retrain these guys that the game plays a lot more old school than they are used to. I mean, their cleric was out of spells and down to 4 hit points and they kept exploring the [dungeon]. He even entered a room by himself and said he'd hold off the [monsters] until the rest of the party joined him. TPK ensued.

I have more thoughts but my boss is wondering where the hell I am since the meeting started ten minutes ago.

Last edited:

SigmaOne

First Post
Still have to retrain these guys that the game plays a lot more old school than they are used to. I mean, their cleric was out of spells and down to 4 hit points and they kept exploring the [dungeon]. He even entered a room by himself and said he'd hold off the [monsters] until the rest of the party joined him. TPK ensued.

Wow.

Andor

First Post
Your horse is a tool.

So I noticed something in the basic rules.

Several backgrounds will give proficency with the Tool: Vehicles (Land), or Animal Handling

Nowhere do I see riding as a skill. Has riding been folded into Animal Handling, or are all horses tools in 5e? I'll grant you I've known some horses to be jerks, but they're not all bad.

Or do PCs just not know how to ride?

goat-game-1-490.jpg

Remove ads