D&D 5E D&D 5 Basic Core Rules are Free

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
[MENTION=48381]walterbob[/MENTION], welcome back.

They add the basic DM stuff, including a selection of monsters, magic items, and encounter building rules, in about a month. They have left it open to make other changes, then declare it done, and still free, end of this year.

Water Bob

Adventurer
It's sort of ironic, because many of the mechanics you listed as new were actually in Fourth Edition and just ported over.

I'll admit, I never gave 4th edition the time of day. Didn't like much of what I heard about it, but I never checked it out for myself.

I'm sure that there are good things in every edition of D&D.

And a wise poster once said, "No edition of D&D has an expiration date."

Tush Hog

First Post
I've been following your Conan thread for the last week or so and it is fantastic!

Now all you have to do is start producing 5e Conan stuff - you know, backgrounds, creatures, etc...

:)

Water Bob

Adventurer
I've been following your Conan thread for the last week or so and it is fantastic!

Now all you have to do is start producing 5e Conan stuff - you know, backgrounds, creatures, etc...

:)

LOL. I doubt I'll switch from the Conan RPG. I like the game too much. Plus, Conan's world is a low magic world where sorcery is not only scarce, but it is shunned. There is practically no magical healing. And, spells do not eat up the battlefield like they do in a typical fantasy game like D&D. Therefore, D&D is built upon a different foundation. It would take some work to convert 5E, and when you've got an awesome game like the Conan RPG at hand, why do all that work when it's already been done brilliantly?

I can't see switching at all.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Here's some more notes about the game I found on a blog (referring to the Starter Set).

If you get a reroll for any reason you only reroll one die. So if the attack you just made was with advantage and you get a reroll you only reroll one die, not both.

Advantage or disadvantage provides a +5/-5 modifier on a passive check. So a passive Perception (Wis) check used to hear a Stealthy enemy get +5 if the enemy is at disadvantage or -5 if they have advantage.

The Search skill was renamed Investigate (Int). Perform (Cha) was added as a new skill.

When standing from prone it costs you half your movement. This sucks if you’ve got a high speed, but it’s better than taking your full move action.

The double move mechanic formerly known as Hustle was renamed Dash.

You suffer disadvantage when making a ranged attack (with weapon or spell) against a creature within 5 feet / adjacent to you.

You only get one bonus action per round. Making an attack with a second weapon in your off hand is now a bonus action. The Swift casting time was renamed bonus action. The Rogue’s cunning action is now a bonus action.
Now Rogues with two weapons can either attack with the second weapon or use Cunning Action to move again.

When you score a crit you roll all damage dice twice, including any bonus dice like a Rogue’s sneak dice, and then you add your appropriate modifiers like Str bonus.

You don’t track negative hit points. When you hit 0 you fall unconscious. However, if you ever take damage equal to your maximum hit points while you’re at 0 you die instantly. It’s dangerous at low levels, but not likely as dangers at high levels.

You must have 1 hit point at the start of a long rest to get the benefits of resting.

Spells that have the duration Concentration require the caster to make a Concentration (Con) save if they take damage. The DC is 10 or half the damage, whichever is higher. The spellcaster makes a new save after every hit.

Remove ads