D&D General D&D as a Game- On the Origin of Hit Points and Start of the Meat Debate

Kurotowa

Legend
Yeah, to be honest we never really sweat what hit points "mean" and I suspect most tables are the same.
In one sense, it doesn't matter because it doesn't change how the game mechanic works. In another sense, figuring out what hit points "mean" helps the DM flesh out their narration and keep it consistent. And even if that's an intangible, it's still an improvement to the game.

Well, it might not be entirely intangible if the DM doesn't like to make game mechanics transparent. I've been frustrated in the past by ambiguity between an attack narrated as a minor surface injury because the target had a lot of HP and because they had Resistance to the damage type. If the DM doesn't want to just show their cards when it comes to game mechanics, clarity and consistency of narration is essential.

Clint_L

Hero
In one sense, it doesn't matter because it doesn't change how the game mechanic works. In another sense, figuring out what hit points "mean" helps the DM flesh out their narration and keep it consistent. And even if that's an intangible, it's still an improvement to the game.
I just sort of wing it. If it's a massive hit for, like, half the character's health then I'll describe it as such.

Well, it might not be entirely intangible if the DM doesn't like to make game mechanics transparent. I've been frustrated in the past by ambiguity between an attack narrated as a minor surface injury because the target had a lot of HP and because they had Resistance to the damage type. If the DM doesn't want to just show their cards when it comes to game mechanics, clarity and consistency of narration is essential.
We use critical hits if players go to 0 health, but otherwise the assumption is that it is non-lethal damage. Ultimately,HP are entirely recoverable with a good night's rest.

Remove ads