D&D 5E Making the 5E Starter Set Come Alive for New Players

Jake Johnson

First Post
Our new group will begin by playing through the new 5E Starter Set. We have a mix of new and returning players (Pathfinder, stopped playing, etc.). I want to get us off to a great start, so I'm looking at ways to enhance the experience. I'm thinking of playing thematic music and maybe printing high-quality copies of Mike Schley's Starter Set maps. I had a brief though of serving beef jerky and dried fruit, in an effort to approximate the rations enjoyed by characters in-game, but perhaps we will stick with pizza and beer/soda.

Are you doing anything like this? If so, I'd be interested to hear about it.

pkt77242

Explorer
Our new group will begin by playing through the new 5E Starter Set. We have a mix of new and returning players (Pathfinder, stopped playing, etc.). I want to get us off to a great start, so I'm looking at ways to enhance the experience. I'm thinking of playing thematic music and maybe printing high-quality copies of Mike Schley's Starter Set maps. I had a brief though of serving beef jerky and dried fruit, in an effort to approximate the rations enjoyed by characters in-game, but perhaps we will stick with pizza and beer/soda.

I think the maps are a great idea and you can't go wrong with the pizza with beer/soda (though you could theme the beer around the game if players are open to different beers such as wychwood Hobgoblin or King Goblin). There would be nothing wrong with having beef jerky and dried fruit as snacks depending on how long you will be playing. Overall I think you have some great ideas and are off to a good start.

Quickleaf

Legend

Hi Jake, welcome to ENWorld!

I recommend checking out www.syrinscape.com for ambient mood music suitable for D&D. Benjamin is a great guy and is active on these boards. While the basic setup is free and works on computer and tablet, to really getting much out of it you'll need to spend a couple bucks on sound sets. Fortunately most of them have previews.

As for printing maps, if it's bigger than whatever printer you use can handle, there is a program called PosteRazor (IIRC) that will chop up an image file into printable bits. Alternately, if you want something really big and fancy, [MENTION=50895]gamerprinter[/MENTION] has a whole site devoted to printing for gamers.

Cheers!

Jake Johnson

First Post
I think the maps are a great idea and you can't go wrong with the pizza with beer/soda (though you could theme the beer around the game if players are open to different beers such as wychwood Hobgoblin or King Goblin). There would be nothing wrong with having beef jerky and dried fruit as snacks depending on how long you will be playing. Overall I think you have some great ideas and are off to a good start.

Thanks, pkt! I think I will serve the jerky and trail mix as snacks after all, and I like your goblin themed beer idea. I'm going check out Bev Mo to see if I can find those.

Jake Johnson

First Post
Hi Jake, welcome to ENWorld!

I recommend checking out syrinscap for ambient mood music suitable for D&D. Benjamin is a great guy and is active on these boards. While the basic setup is free and works on computer and tablet, to really getting much out of it you'll need to spend a couple bucks on sound sets. Fortunately most of them have previews.

As for printing maps, if it's bigger than whatever printer you use can handle, there is a program called PosteRazor (IIRC) that will chop up an image file into printable bits. Alternately, if you want something really big and fancy, gamerprinter has a whole site devoted to printing for gamers.

Cheers!

Thanks, Quickleaf. The ENWorld community seems vibrant and welcoming. I appreciate the great conversation.

Syrinscape looks amazing. I'm going to give it a try. I'm not sure how I will handle the map prints yet. I was thinking I might print 11x17 versions of the North Sword and Phandalin, and make 8.5x11 versions of the other untagged maps. I'll keep the tagged versions on my iPad. I'll wait to read through the Starter Set adventure when it arrives on Tuesday, before printing. I will give gamerprinter a look.

Thanks again,

Jake

Remove ads