[13th Age] The Big Pile of Everything I've Written for 13th Age so far!

mkill

Adventurer
EDIT: The original post was 2 years old, so I updated it. Check 13thage.org for the latest versions.

-----

I have a long-running 13th Age campaign that started very soon after the first playtest went public. (EDIT: That campaign is over, but it lasted a good two years...) Meanwhile, I've grown to love the system and I've written a lot of stuff for it so far. Time to make a full list.
A big shout out to Kendall Jung, who gave it all a place to be hosted!

[H=Classes]Classes[/H]

The Warlock is the most mature project, with an ongoing playtest and countless of revisions. It's slowly approaching a well-balanced and stable state. This Warlock takes cues from both 3E and 4E: Like the 3E version, all of its spells are at-wills. Like the 4E version, it likes to put a curse on an enemy, then blast them to hell. Even though the at-wills remove spell bookkeeping, it's still a complex class to play with quite a bit of tactical flexibility. I am playing one right now and yes, it's a blast ... and a curse.

The Abomination is a melee class with a mutated body. Instead of weapons, it has claws. Instead of armor, it grows plates on its body. For mechanics, it uses flexible attacks similar to the fighter.

The Aeon Summoner was inspired by Final Fantasy. Ever dreamt of bringing the ability to summon something BIG at the gaming table? Here you are.
The original version wa experimental and a bit wonky, but I now made a major revision that aligns it with the summoning rules of 13TW and Glorantha (which were published after my first draft). It should now be roughly balanced against other casters like Wizard or Necromancer.

The Berserker has a similar theme to the barbarian but different mechanics: You build up a pool of rage dice with every hit and thus build your frenzy over time.

The Bladesinger was born from toying around with the escalation die. The class can choose where to add the escalation die, for example a boost to defenses. The class is also a classic gish, i.e. a spellcaster who can hold his own in melee, inspired by a legendary Fighter/Wizard Kit back from the AD&D days.

If you're a fan of the Tome of Battle - Book of Nine Swords, check out this conversion of the Warblade, Swordsage and Crusader: Disciple of the Nine Swords. I've tried to keep the mechanics as close to the original as possible.

You can think of the Fateweaver as an anti-chaos mage. The class has many tools to control randomness in the game.

The Psion is my version of psionics for 13th Age. It's mostly inspired by 3rd edition psionics, with power points and the ability to augment powers.

The Swordmage is another gish class. It's based on the 4E class, rebuilt within the 13th Age framework.

[H=Class Talents and Powers]Class Talents, Powers, Class Variants[/H]

If you are a fan of the classic Diablo II, the Amazon (Ranger), Paladin and Necromancer allow you to build a PC in the image of that game based on 13th Age classes.

Barbarian: Barbarian talent themes. Planning on a sturdy dwarven barbarian? A slender elf? An axe-crazy dragon cultist? A demonblooded rager? A winter-hardened northerner? A revenant back from the dead?

Bard: Remember the AD&D Blade Kit? Here you are. Also more bard talents and spells, songs, battlecries.

Chaos Mage: New chaos mage talents and spells.

Cleric: New domains and non-domain talents for Clerics. Want to convert a deity but 13th Age didn't have the domain? Here are the missing ones from the d20 SRD, plus a few more. Also spells.

Commander: New Commander talents. No new tactics and commands yet but it's on my to-do list.

Druid: New druid spells and options for all talents, hellholes as a new terrain, and even two new talents!

Fighter: Fighter talents and maneuvers. One of my goals was to make an archery fighter fully viable. I also added a few more flavor talents. The encounter power talents are fine, but I wanted to add some alternatives.

Monk: Monk talents. Forms are on my to-do list.

Necromancer: I also have some non-Diablo necromancer talents. Spells are coming up.

Paladin: First of all, Paladin Mounts. No self-respecting knight walks into battle, right? Also Adventurer tier, champion tier, epic tier talents. The core book paladin was really missing some viable high-level options, something he couldn't already have at level 1. Something to look forward to. Here you are.

Ranger: New talents for the ranger.
Or if you don't like the core book version of the class, here is a flexible attack-based version.

Rogue: You love the classic skill monkey rogue? Sneak attacks are great, but you want to have something to let you Move Silently, Pick Locks and Climb Walls like no other class could hope to? Have a look at these rogue talents. Or how about a Spellthief.
Or how about a Swashbuckler, based on the Rogue but built to face enemies head-on, rather than backstab.
I also have a few Rogue powers, but they are WIP.

Sorcerer: New Sorcerer talents and spells.

Wizard: New Wizard talents and Wizard spells. I've started to convert a bunch of classic D&D spells, they can be found in there.

[H=Races]Races[/H]

I went and converted the Talislanta races. There are so many, there is also Part 2 and Part 3. Over 80 in total. If you haven't heard of Talislanta, D&Ds intellectual stoner cousin, have a look at talislanta.com. Most of it is available as a free download.

I also added a few D&D races from different sources that didn't have a 13th Age version yet.

[H=Monsters]Monsters[/H]

Azers. Dwarves. On Fire. What's not to love? Tales of the 13th Age came up with official Azer stats after I posted these, but there is only one type in the book while I have four.

Duergar. Deep dwarves. After weird 3E psionics and a really lame 4E representation (shooting beard quills? WTF?) here's a proper version. They can meld into stone. Quite handy if you live underground...

If you happen to play in Eberron, you may appreciate this small collection of Living spells.

Massive Zombie Army. What it says on the tin.

Phase Spiderlings are phase spider babies. I needed some for a session.

The Bearmoeba. Yes, it's a cross between a bear and an amoeba. If you can't appreciate this, may I remind you that it was your beloved D&D that gave you the Duckbunny and the Flail Snail?

Anyway, this is 13th Age, so what you really need is Owlbear Cavalry.

[H=Magic Items]Magic Items[/H]

I've got Ankheg shell armors for you, and a Timestealer blade inspired by Prince of Persia. Both are from my campaign.

[H=House Rules]House Rules[/H]

I'm running 13th Age mostly by the book, but here are some variants I suggest:

The Fail Forward Table is a one-pager that can help you to speed things along when a PC failed a check and you're not quite sure what the consequences should be (while still pushing the game forward)

Whiffless Icon Rolls is a hack that helps you give icon relationship rolls of 1 to 4 a meaningful interpretation. It's recommended if you want to roll for icon relationship rolls less often, but with a guaranteed impact on the game.

Last edited:

Uskglass

First Post
Really like the Whiffless Icon rolls, for it's kind of a let down when no outcome happens upon an Icon roll. And I like it to have a kind of double-edge sword quality to it (although within a 'fail forward' mindlset).

I had a session set on the back of a Koru recently; I wanted an opportunity for the party to buy some stuff (using up some cash of which they and a lot). There was some major plot (getting caught up in a diabolist-crusader conflict), but I also wanted some minor and fun asides.

So I took the Ankheg armor, re-themed it as Koru armor with this backstory:

This Koru sheds its scales relatively frequently, but for people harvesting it, it is critical to get them at just the right stage -- too soon and they are still attached, so the behemoth will ripple his skin and shake off the irritation that is bothering him (this is not good if you are the irritation). Too late and the scales are too brittle to work well. So the armor smith working this behemoth is excited when he finds just the right outcropping.

And significantly unhappy when it is under the diabolist's camp.

So the party, to get access to the armor, had to befriend and persuade the diabolists to move camp and then they could buy from him (as he now has a source for new amor materials!)

Was fun. People enjoyed. Thanks for the seed idea!

The Bladesinger was born from toying around with the escalation die. The class can choose where to add the escalation die, for example a boost to defenses. The class is also a classic gish, i.e. a spellcaster who can hold his own in melee, inspired by a legendary Fighter/Wizard Kit back from the AD&D days. There's an option to skin it like a 4E Swordmage. The class is ready to play and I'd love to hear feedback.

[MENTION=55985]mkill[/MENTION] , I wonder if I might draw you into a moment of conversation. First, great work. Now, onto stuff!

I'm going to be running a 13th Age game with a few pals here shortly and one of them is going to be playing your Bladesinger. At first glance, very well done. Looks to be a nice melding of the 4e Bladesinger coupled with Swordmage Aegis. Couple balance questions for you:

1) Have you received any specific feedback on how it stands up to like classes (not from a thematic portfolio, but from suite of resources/role shtick)?

2) To the end of 1, the easiest class for a baseline comparison would be the Ranger. They have almost complete overlap in basic chassis; # Rec, Rec dice, Background points, Hit Points, AC, damage dice, Dex-centered. However, the Bladesinger has 1 higher in both Physical and Mental defense. Curious of the reasoning for that?

3) Defensive Aegis talent. Allowing the utility of both Shielding and Defense for a singular Talent is pretty beefy. Reasoning for this design choice?

4) The Bard Training multiclass talent. Being able to get a 5 pt Background + the Battle Cry Pull It Together for one Talent...again, that strikes me as quite beefy for a singular Talent.

My guess is the player is going to go Defensive Aegis, Bard Training (w/ Pull It Together), and one of the Bladesong Secrets. I'm curious how this will play together with a stock Wizard and Bard (the other PCs).

Thank you for your time.

mkill

Adventurer
1) On paper, the Bladesinger is a support class. As you notice, most of the bladesinger melodies are designed as aura buffs for the entire party. In that sense, the closest class is the 3E marshall (in case anyone remembers that one). In 13th Age, the closest class is the bard, in the sense that you have a class that can survive in melee similar to ranger or rogue but it doesn't have their damage output on its own. It's more about buffing the others where they lack.

2) Aside from the druid, the Ranger has the most powerful talents in the game. This is necessary - the class has literally nothing else. The Ranger's strength is high at-will DPS. The Bladesinger doesn't have that. The overlap in stats is just coincidence, both classes are light melee combatants. The +1 MD is a representation for the more "brainy" nature of the Bladesinger. The +1 PD is ... too much actually. It should be base 11, not 12. (In my defense, I wrote it 2 years ago, when I had less of a firm grip on the details. Fixed now)

3) You can't do both at the same time, so it's flexible, but not that powerful in total. Considering that 13th Age monsters hit much harder with a single attack than 4E monsters, and Bladesingers don't do that much melee damage, shielding is probably the better option in most cases.

4) Pull it together is a good choice for battlecry, but it's worse than what clerics get (2x Cure as quick action that doesn't require a 50/50 chance die roll). The extra talent is a nice bonus, but in my experience players will always find an excuse to use their best background. So really, an extra background just means less advocating why background X applies to roll A.

I hope your player enjoys the class and has fun. If you have any feedback from in-game experience, I'd love to hear it.

As for a party with Wizard and Bard, the Bladesinger is probably not the best choice, since you end up with one squishy and two rather light supports. In that party, I'd rather try a Swordmage, which is a more straight-up defender / tank and a direct conversion of the 4E class. I wrote it based on a bit more experience with 13A...

Last edited:

[MENTION=55985]mkill[/MENTION] , Thanks for the comments. I think the revision of PD down one was a good one. On my phone, so I’ll restrict my commentary to just relaying the now-built PC:

This player has extensive history with gishes, spanning multiples editions (Basic, AD&D 2e, 3.x, 4e, Dungeon World). Talent-wise, it appears that he is likely to go with Aegis, Bladesong Secret (Intuitive I think), Rogue multiclass for Momentum and the triggered, at-will parry (can’t think of the name). Melody-wise, it looks like March of the Guard (AC bonus from Escalation Die) with Heart Melody being the end of turn Burning Hands one (can’t think of the name – 1d6 auto-damage to nearby with Adventuring Tier feat from HM + Escalation Die). My sense is that it will end up playing as a classic swashbuckley gish (which is basically what a Bladesinger is). I sense that it will be somewhat similar to a mash-up of the 4e Bladesinger and Swordmage (which appears to be what you intended). Much less single target damage than the 4e Bladesinger (which was effectively a nuanced, riposte-heavy Striker with Defender-level defenses and some solid control – but small “C”). So, mobility + some Defender control + melee AoE + ripostes + good defenses + multiple ways of mitigating incoming damage. Depending on later choice of Melodies, he will have more or less support.

I’ll let you know how it turns out in play. Thanks again.

mkill

Adventurer
Since my original post is already 2 years old and I've written a ton of stuff since then, I've updated my original post. There's 5 (!) new classes and a ton of material for all (!) existing classes.

More to come. Enjoy and good gaming!

Remove ads