D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

gyor

Legend
The way I'd handle it is just add the CR/XP value of the gated in demons to the encounter.

Thanks for the info, my guesses where based on what I read about the ad&d 2nd addition Titan, which did not have 5e's Legendary Creature stuff, but it would be an interesting addition.

What about angels, is the Solar a Legendary Creature? Are they're different types of Devas, and what are the Celestials that can be summoned with conjure celestial? (CR 4 or 5 in a 9th level slot).

How does the 5e Succubus/Incubus fit into Lore? Do they get any cool new abilities and statwise what is the difference between Succubi and Incccubi aside from Gender? Do they have Paragons of thier own like Demon Princes or Archdevils mentioned in the Lore?

I was also a little disappointed that there is a sidebar on how Demons can Gate in other Demons, and they give tables of the chances and which demons can summon which others. There was no XP adjustment for those. I would think that Demons who can summon more demons might make the difficulty much harder and require an XP adjustment no?

Nope, because the book actually states that, unless specified otherwise, summoned monsters are worth full XP. So the encounter gets tougher, but the summoning demon itself doesn't.

(No, I didn't go to GenCon, but I have friends. And yes, I'm working on a monster sorter to go along with the spell sorter I created/linked to earlier.) :)

Remathilis

Legend
Another big spoiler: Shadows (the undead creature) do Strength Damage. Each time you are hit you take 1d4 Strength reduction. I thought they were going to get rid of that. The reduction goes away after short rest, but you will have to make adjustments to attack and damage on the fly, just like old-school.

Shadows have always done str damage. Thankfully, it should be easier since you don't have 1 1/2 str mods, multiple skill mods (with armor check) and bull strength all mucking up the math. On an exception-based system like this, I can handle it.

jadrax

Adventurer
Shadows have always done str damage. Thankfully, it should be easier since you don't have 1 1/2 str mods, multiple skill mods (with armor check) and bull strength all mucking up the math. On an exception-based system like this, I can handle it.

Yeah Shadows without the strength Damage would make them... well shadows of their former selves.

The recalculation will be a bit of a pain, but as long as every other creature does not have Stat damage it should not be too bad.

Sigma77

First Post
Nope, because the book actually states that, unless specified otherwise, summoned monsters are worth full XP. So the encounter gets tougher, but the summoning demon itself doesn't.

(No, I didn't go to GenCon, but I have friends. And yes, I'm working on a monster sorter to go along with the spell sorter I created/linked to earlier.) :)

And here I was going to help you out when I got my MM xp

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Another big spoiler: Shadows (the undead creature) do Strength Damage. Each time you are hit you take 1d4 Strength reduction. I thought they were going to get rid of that. The reduction goes away after short rest, but you will have to make adjustments to attack and damage on the fly, just like old-school.

We could see that coming down the pike with spells like feeblemind and greater restoration in the playtest.

Should be much easier to handle than 3rd Ed.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
I noticed the ancient red dragon preview doesnt have spellcasting.... is there a part in MM about adding spellcasting, or other tacked on abilities to creatures. Cannyou give a gnoll a level of barbarian, or a lizardman 2 levels of rogue, taht sort of caper?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases