D&D 5E I love the 5e Succubus

gyor

Legend
As said in title. More flexible then in previous editions I can see all kinds of new uses, scenerios for her.

Succubi from Archeron- Recruiters for the various armies of the plan, much like thier plan they're evil, but only mildly so, instead of an eternity of suffering unimaginable torments, you end up an army recruit.

Succubi from Pandemonuem- No real bosses in this Plane means that these are complete independant Succubi who corrupt mortal souls not on behalf of a master, but as an addiction. Again only mildly evil.

Succubi from Hell-Dispite no longer being a devil, they're still concidered apart of the hierarchy of hell in a way thier cambion children will never be.

Succubi from the Abyss-functional pre 4e succubi, except not technical demons.

Succubi from Carceri- Servants of Fallen Titans, particularly attracted to Cathyrs layer, the layer associated with Lust over whelming reason.

Succubi from Hades- Subcontractors for the Night Hags, Night Hags collect the evil ones, Succubi collect the souls of the vertuous (or formally so).

Succubi of Gehanna- Tasked by the Yugoloths with lustful tasks they think of themselves as being above.

Succubi of Evil Gods- Devout Succubi no less evil for religious conviction.

Succubi of the Rakshasa- Rakshasa steal Succubi eggs from the Nine Hells, and raise and breed them on the material plane.

Succubi of Spellcasters- Bound by Magic to service spellcasters and carefully bred.

Succubi as Warlock Patron.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I respectfully disagree. It was a great opportunity to ease the continuity issues caused by bizarrely making them suddenly devils in 4e, but they tried a middle option.

I do appreciate the making of succubi/incubi overt as coming in more than just female form and removing a bit of awkwardness or sexism there that could be read into it before.

Eh. This does fix the "continuity issues" while also providing a plethora of other options. That's a win/win.

Let's also not forget something here. Forgotten Realms might have continuity issues. Dark Sun might have continuity issues. Planescape. Ravenloft.

The Monster Manual is none of those. The Monster Manual is D&D.

D&D is a game. D&D has no continuity. It has history, but not continuity. It is, first and foremost, meant to be played--and to provide multiple options for that play. It is a toolset for players to build their own continuity.

Continuity of general feel is one thing, but continuity of detail between editions will always, and should always, come a distant second to the developers doing their best to make the game better.

Last edited:

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Let's also not forget something here. Forgotten Realms might have continuity issues. Dark Sun might have continuity issues. Planescape. Ravenloft.

The Monster Manual is none of those. The Monster Manual is D&D.

D&D is a game. D&D has no continuity. It has history, but not continuity. It is, first and foremost, meant to be played--and to provide multiple options for that play. It is a toolset for players to build their own continuity.

To be blunt, this is one of the things that has bugged me about Planescape, more in its fandom than in its official material--the tendency to conflate that specific setting with D&D as a whole. I remember one gentleman back on the old Ravenloft mailing list who insisted that Dustmen had to be allowed into Ravenloft and the 'Dead Truce' respected therein, regardless of how much it clashed with the setting's themes.

As for the succubus herself, the 5E description actually convinced me that it was worth including in the MM. It's one of the first that's actually caught the themes that the succubus is good for--seduction and corruption of the soul--rather than making it an excuse for prurient and puerile material or giving it the 'level-drainer trap' niche that the vampire can fill just as well and without encouraging so much of the former.

Next time I roll bad stats i'm going to be a warlock with a succubus pact

One day a pretty woman came town seducing and stealing souls...I sold hermine for a kiss...

She felt so bad taking my soul for 'just a kiss' she through spell casting in as abonus...

Best kiss on the fore head ever!!!!!!

Mercurius

Legend
Nothing beats the AD&D succubus, subject of many a 12-year old boy's fantasy:

Succubus_(Dungeons_&_Dragons).jpg

Remove ads