D&D 5E I love the 5e Succubus

Probably a few adults as well....:-S

Heh. So way the heck back in 7th grade social studies--you know, when school was first invented :p --I did a report on the different view of demons in various religions and cultures. I had a display of various visual aids, and around the borders, just for aesthetics, I pasted a bunch of xeroxed pictures of demons from a variety of sources. Including a rather substantial contribution from the 1E MM.

I still remember the odd look the teacher gave me when she saw the succubus. :lol:

gyor

Legend
The Eryines in 5e have 1e looks, thier very pretty with feathered wings, but they're more 4e in kechanics and perpose.

They're arse kickers, 3rd most powerful devils, they don't get charm magic or shapeshifting.

They wear plate, weild a longsword and longbow. Some also still use a rope of entanglement for tradition I guess.

I actually think this is the best verison of Eyrines, they're fallen Angels, all about vegence, and they look the part, like battle loving Astral Devas with darker wings.

This will have interesting story implications in the Forgotten Realms, in FR the succubi, or at least most of them, lead by Malchanthet turned traitor against the Abyss and choose to join Asmodeus.

Now some likely stayed in the Abyss, but those were detailed as Incubi in 4e.

Now Succubi are no longer devils it hints at a second betrayal, which will be interesting. The Succubi are now free agents and can work for anybody, no doubt causing chaos in the lower planes (and not just the usual chaos of the Abyss). You will be able to find Succubi Aaries in any lower plane now and possibly rarely in the Ethereal Plane.

gyor

Legend
Heh. So way the heck back in 7th grade social studies--you know, when school was first invented :p --I did a report on the different view of demons in various religions and cultures. I had a display of various visual aids, and around the borders, just for aesthetics, I pasted a bunch of xeroxed pictures of demons from a variety of sources. Including a rather substantial contribution from the 1E MM.I still remember the odd look the teacher gave me when she saw the succubus. :lol:
Hahaha, I can imagine.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I love the 5e Succubus

...May I, uh... may I respectfully recommend a wisdom save?

I still remember the odd look the teacher gave me when she saw the succubus. :lol:

Mouseferatu wins the thread.

a huge Planescape fan who owns just as much Planescape material as Shemeska (assuming Todd owns all of it...)

I'd say we should start some kind of society, but we'd all end up in the hospital within a week from all the enraged kicking each other in the face.

There's no reason that a succubus cannot also be a demon.

I was 100% with you until this point. How is this not the same fiendish homogenization you object to in Planescape?

Possibly an anthropomorphized pig in a blonde wig, perhaps.

What you did there, I see it.

Nothing beats the AD&D succubus, subject of many a 12-year old boy's fantasy

Dat hair.

ki11erDM

Explorer
So i guess what we are saying is the 1e art accurately captured who and what the succubus is... have we seen the 5e art to verify it is up to par?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's probably age-related. My personal one was the female spellcaster from the 2e DMG.

You mean that full-page, full-color picture of the scantily clad lady on her knees conjuring up some sort of entity?

Because yeah...that picture is not easily forgotten.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You mean that full-page, full-color picture of the scantily clad lady on her knees conjuring up some sort of entity?

Because yeah...that picture is not easily forgotten.
Something was definitely conjured up, yea. :)

Remove ads