Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Prologue

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
(Yes, yes I know... 'you all meet in a tavern'. Cut me some slack, It's been a long while since I've Dungeonmastered anything :D)

Dramatis Personae

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]mips42 = Erevan Meliamne, M Wood Elf Fighter CN[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dream66 = KerriCreycastle, F Human Druid N[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]epicbob = RobertWeaving, M Human Sorceror LN[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]industrygothica = Renestrae,F Elf Rogue, N[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]LiShenron = [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]MiriDundragon, F Human Wizard, LG[/FONT][/FONT]

Mirtul 3, DR 1373, Early Morning

You have all spent a not particularly comfortable night in the common room of the Tapped Keg, a somewhat shabby and run down tavern in the tiny hamlet of Shad's Copse. The early morning sun streams in through the dirty windows and you awaken – some with sorer heads than others. During the previous evening you have all introduced yourselves to each other, eaten some dubious meat pies, and shared stories and tall tales.

You and your fellow tavern guests sit down at the only table large enough to accommodate you all, awaiting your breakfast. Soon enough, a surly Dwarf with crumbs and the occasional chunk of meat lodged in his beard comes your way bearing wooden plates of bread and cheese. A few of bowls of thin, gruel-like porridge soon join them. “Enjoy yer breakfast” he grunts before returning to the kitchen.

You hear a girl's voice pleading, “But pa, he hasn't come back yet!”A young brown-haired girl of maybe seventeen or eighteen is behind the bar, tugging at the barkeep's sleeves.

He said he would come back for me after composing his song! That he would bring me flowers!” she says.

Listen Marie,” responds the barkeep, brushing his daughter's hands off him and crossing his arms. “I know you're sweet on the lad, but I warned you about his type. He's probably halfway to another village by now, charming some other girl. You'd be best to forget all about him.”

But...”

Not another word Marie. Now go and see if Grundiz needs a hand in the kitchens.”

The barkeep turns his back on his daughter, picks up a cloth and begins stacking mugs on the high shelves behind the bar. He takes a battered tankard and holds it up in front of his face, squinting at it, before spitting on the cloth and vigorously 'cleaning' it. His daughter,ignoring her father's instructions, sits at a small table near to yours, looking sullen and dejected. Suddenly, she looks over to your table, and tilts her head slightly, as a smile forms on her lips.

Gingerly,she walks over to you. “Ah... hello. Your weapons, armour... you are adventurers, yes?”

Last edited:

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

As he turns his studious gaze away from his tables mates, he makes a mental note to keep the Elven Warrior in mind.

He then addresses the young girl :

"Adventurer is a bit romantic. I'm an emissary for a guild of merchants. They are sending me here to acquire assets for future developments."

He shifts his girth around to sit more comfortably and scratches his thick beard before continuing:

"And who might you be?"

mips42

Adventurer
How did I come to this, Erevan thought. I was part of a powerful family, trading in secrets, goods and even lives.
Ah, I fool no one, least of all myself. Love brought me here. Love and the betrayal of that same family.
These folk at this table, and only these few, I can believe in.

Looking around the squalid inn, Erevan eyes the Dwarven host. I'm sure he's given me he worst of his fare after I badgered him about there being anything edible on his menu. Ah well, at least I won't starve.
Seeing the interaction between the barkeep and the girl almost brings a tear to his eyes, remembering Althea. the touch of her hand, the look in her eyes, the smell of her. I remember that. The feeling of longing to be with someone special. But she is gone, forever gone.
Hearing Robert say "Adventurer is a bit romantic. I'm an emissary for a guild of merchants. They are sending me here to acquire assets for future developments."
Brings Erevan out of his memories.
"I would agree that 'Adventurer' might be too strong a term. I would call myself more of a trader or a diplomat even. At worst, we are prepared for trouble, should it find us."

industrygothica

Adventurer
Adventurer...

Renestrae lets the word hang in the air. Is that what she is? Surely she's had adventures with the forsaken of Silverymoon, running from authorities after a heist of food and necessities. Couldn't the act of secretly leaving behind the comforts of her Elven life in favor of spending time with the less fortunate be considered an adventure in itself? Helping them steal, to cheat, to survive...

And now this message from Leosin Erlanthar. It's been nearly fifty years since she's seen him, or even said his name. Longer than some at this table have even been alive. Surely there's an adventure waiting at the other end of the summons.

She smiles, and stuffs a hunk of bread into her mouth. "Speak for yourselves," she says, oblivious to the bread crumbs flying from her mouth. "I love adventure!"

Li Shenron

Legend
"Everyone's an adventurer, in a sense...", is the only semi-sensible contribution by Miri to the casual conversation, given her current headache. "Emissaries, diplomats, traders... sure this is a quite a bunch of important people " she thinks, "How can I ever present myself properly: as a runaway? A snitch? An exile?". Once again tonight she had a nightmare, of which she can now only remember the sound of loud growling and the heat of flames. She woke up suddenly because of it, that it was still before the dawn, and decided to stay awake to prepare her spells. "Sigh... once again all my efforts are barely worth me to prepare and remember one single spell at a time. But tomorrow no more nightmares for me. This morning I prepared Sleep, tonight I am going to cast it on myself and enjoy a real rest!"

dream66_

First Post
Kerri drops the fork she's been playing with, playing being the more accurate description for stabbing at meat which she then eats with her hands.

"I am not adventurer, adventurers burn the forest and corrupt the lands" she spits on the table "I am defender of the old ways."

mips42

Adventurer
Poor child, I know her pain even more keenly than she. 'I believe I heard your name as "Marie", correct?
'You would seem to be worried. What would you ask us?'

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"Ah well... it's Lirric. He came to Shad's Copse just under a week ago, and, well, it was love at first sight. Or should I say first song... he's a minstrel, a bard. Lirric, do you see? Sounds like lyric." Marie giggles, "I thought that was rather clever of him."

She looks around, making sure her father isn't paying attention, before dropping her voice to a whisper. "We spent the night together... several nights together." She blushes, and a smile plays across her lips. "He said I was special. That I was the one he'd been looking for all this time. His true love! He left late last night for the old standing stones in the woods to the north of here, the ones that the river flows past... he said the full moon and the night sky always inspire him. He was going to write me a love song, and pick wild flowers for me. But he's not come back this morning! I worry something has happened... poor, brave Lirric..."

"Brave he might be, but he's not got much goin' on in the head if he went to the stones" interrupts the Dwarven cook, who has reappeared from the back rooms with plates of food and drinks for the other tables. "A group o' damned Gnolls moved in an' set up camp there over a tenday ago. That woodsman feller, Hernic, almost fell afoul of them while he was out huntin'."

"Gnolls?!" shrieks Marie. "By the Gods! You have to go and save him, please!"

mips42

Adventurer
'Calm, child, calm. We do not know that he went to this place, only that he said he would. Even if he did go there, there's no way to know if he met with the gnolls.
'I must be clear, though, it is possible that this man, whom I presume is your father, is right and this Lirric was playing upon your young heartstrings. It is also possible he may have just been delayed or lost. It is also possible that this Lirric is in more trouble than he can handle.
'I must say that, whether I know this person or not, I cannot leave his fate to the winds. I feel that we must go after him, to these stones you mention, and then we will find what we will find.'

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

"Suppose we do accept to go out and look for your lover. What kind of compensation can be expected? Such services do not come freely. Especially considering we have no solid evidence of the minstrel's peril."

He sits patiently, awaiting Marie's answer.

Remove ads