Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Prologue

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Marie turns to Robert, a frown forming on her face.

"Compensation? Oh, you mean, er... payment..."
she frantically begins to empty her pockets, and a few copper coins clatter on the table. Meeting a somewhat unimpressed look from Robert, her eyes widen and she stutters, "I mean, I'm sure I... I would be able to get you some more... please, if you would just... that is..." Tears begin to form in her eyes.

She stops as Grundiz lays a hand on her shoulder, and gently moves her aside.

"Now then lass, don't ye be worryin' about that. Best let me deal with this, aye? Go and check if that table over there needs anything."

Marie nods and leaves your table. The dwarf pulls up a stool and elbows his way into your group, before taking a seat.

"Never could bear to see the girl upset. Must be goin' soft in me old age."
he mutters. "Now then, I've been around a good long time. I know how this works. Likely we'd be lookin' fer a band of folk such as yourselves to clear out those Gnolls soon enough anyway. I reckon you'd be doin' us all a favour. And if you happen to find this Lirric fella that Marie's so keen on, then all the better."

There's a loud thud, and a faint clinking sound, as he drops a pouch onto the middle of the table among your plates and mugs.

"Thirty gold crowns, and a couple of fire agate gems.
An' there'll be more if you can clear those Gnolls out good an' proper. Although it's good to see that SOME of you at least are just happy to help a poor soul in their hour of need..." he says, glancing at Erevan.

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

[sblock=ooc]Unimpressed? I say my character feels differently.[/sblock]

In response to Grundiz's last statement, Robert replies : "Personally, I find that unrequited charity only makes people take advantage of you. My father and mother learned this the hard way."

As he pushes the pile of copper coins back towards Grundiz, he also adds : "You can tell the girl she can keep her money. She needs it more than I do. Also, if what you say about a bonus for cleaning the Gnolls is true, I'll make sure you get your money's worth. I may not be charitable but I am still a professional."

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan

GM
OOC: Erevan would be very interested in checking out the Fire agate gems. Also, I'm not sure how you want to hadle it but Erevan would be slipping into 'Diplomat' mode when dealing with the barkeep, maybe a Persuasion check? If so here's a check roll including skill bonus: 1d20+2=14

'Now then, ah Grundiz was it? There's no need for that sort of talk. I'm sure that Robert here was just testing your resolve in this matter.
'If we are to go to these stones, we'll need to know as much as we can about the terrain and surrounding area as well as hear or read all the reports that have come in about the creatures spotted there, however speculative they might be. You never know when a kernel of truth may be found in the slop of a tall tale.'

industrygothica

Adventurer
Renestrae tears off a wedge of bread and secrets it away into a pouch on her belt before standing from the table. "The boy will have been flayed alive by the time you fools haggling and whispering about details." She walks over to the girl and gives her a gentle hug. "We'll find your love, dear. One way or another. You just make sure his heart stays true when we bring him back."

She glances around the inn, taking in the other patrons, and chooses a spot near the center of the room to stand and address them.

"It seems our path is destined to cross with this band of gnolls troubling your town. I'm certain you've all heard stories, and anything you can relay to us now will surely help us in our endeavors. Quickly now, there isn't much time!"

OOC: Investigation: 1d20+4=10

dream66_

First Post
"Slaughtering gnolls I will do, they are despoilers, they do not respect nature. I will help you in this fight. I care not for your mate though."

Li Shenron

Legend
"How I like the sound of that... at least this task will help me get rid of this terrible headache."
Miri quickly finishes up her drink while listening to Renestrae's speech, then joins her up in the middle of the room: "You are right about not wasting anytime. Count me in! Who else is willing to shove those mongrels back into their cave?"

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
(epicbob - sorry for making assumptions about your character on your behalf - Will treat this as a DM lesson learnt and try not to fall into this trap again. :))

"Oh, thank you, thank you!"
cries Marie happily. The other patrons glance up briefly from their breakfasts, mildly bemused at this unusual display of enthusiasm from Renestrae. The barkeep, Marie's father, simply rolls his eyes and continues serving drinks. After a brief moment, the guests return to their meals, uninterested.

...with the exception of a small grubby boy of perhaps about eleven or twelve, who tugs at her clothes.

"Hey, hey... 'scuse me miss? You was asking about the Guh-nolls?"
he says, struggling with his pronunciation. You notice he has an injury of some sort to one leg - he's hobbling about, using a short stick as a crutch.

----------

Back at the table, Grundiz simply smiles. "Aye, glad yer all on board with the idea." He turns to Erevan before continuing. "Wise to ask about what yer gettin' into first, mind." he says with a nod of approval.

"Seems the Gnolls have set up some sort of camp near the stones. Folk have been hearin' their wailing and cackling at night. Findin' scraps of badly butchered deer and such in the woods. Trees hacked down carelessly. Henric's the only one I know of who has been close to the damned beasts. You'll likely find him in his lodge at the eastern edge of the village. Can't miss it, it's the one with all them fancy wood carvin's out front. He'll be able to tell you more than I can."

He begins to walk back to the kitchen, before calling over his shoulder, "Oh, and breakfast's on the house. You seem like a decent bunch of folk, after all..."

----------

OOC: Erevan - Fire agate gems are fairly common within the Realms, and you've seen your fair share during your... chequered past. But they do appear to be above average specimens, well polished with iridescent colours.

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan

'Henric, east end of town. My thanks, Grundiz. For the information and the... breakfast.'
Seeing the small boy approach Marie, Erevan will approach quietly so as not to frighten the boy and attempt to hear what he has to say.

GM:[sblock] If at all possible, Erevan would like to make a rough appraisal of the gems and pocket one for his own if the value seems to be more than 5-10GP. I'd guess a Slight of hand would be appropriate: 1d20+3=14
Also, I'm not sure if you want a stealth for moving quietly up near the boy but, if so, here's one: 1d20+5=17.[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Hey there, big guy, " Renestrae says as she kneels down to his level. "I did ask about the gnolls."

She pulls a chunk from the bread in her pouch and takes a small bite for herself before offering the bigger half to the boy. "Do you know something about them you'd like to tell me"

OOC: If you tell me this kid's name is Tiny Tim you'll be my favoritest DM ever!

dream66_

First Post
"Seems the Gnolls have set up some sort of camp near the stones. Folk have been hearin' their wailing and cackling at night. Findin' scraps of badly butchered deer and such in the woods. Trees hacked down carelessly.

Kerri is visibly upset and angry at hearing this.

"Come along city dwellers, if you intend to do what is needed, let us get on with it. There are gnolls to be killed." With that she stands, throws the remains of her meal, plate and all into the fireplace and walks toward the door.

Remove ads