improved familiar ?

darkbard

Legend
do improved familiars get the intelligence and natural armor bonus equivalent with their master's level or only those bonuses which exceed their beginning score? for example, does a quasit familiar of a 7th level caster receive an additional +4 natural armor, or just +1 to bring its natural armor up from +3 to +4 according to the chart on p. 51 of the PHB? what about its intelligence score? thanks in advance.

darkbard

Legend
ummm ... if a mod sees this, maybe you can slide this over to the rules forum where i probably should have posted it. thanks.

aurellius

First Post
The question is....

When you get the psedodragon what does it give you?

Toad = +2 con etc etc.....

They never listed the bonus for any of the improved familairs...

Marcus:(

Magic Rub

First Post
aurellius said:
The question is....

When you get the psedodragon what does it give you?

Toad = +2 con etc etc.....

They never listed the bonus for any of the improved familairs...

Marcus:(

You gain Zilch, Zip, & nothing in the way of a traditional familiar skill, ability or save bonus. However! In essence, you're gaining a second character and depending on what you pick, a very nice character at that. Which IMO is far better then a cheese eating, & petty increase to a skill, or save you'd gain from a regular familiar. A totally loyal servant & friend who far out strips any "normal" familiar. For example, if you have a Imp or Psedodragon, They can fly to you & bandage you if you fall, and/or feed you a healing potion when no one else can get to you. Cast spells & spell like abilities of their own. In the case of the Imp, innate Invisibility, innate polymorph self (with some minor limits) & Detect magic at will. All this and a whole lot more.

The benefits are far far greater then any of "drawbacks"!

Taloras

First Post
Anyone tried the tressym(FR) as a familiar? Im thinking about it, but i have a question. Familiars have an INT score according to your level. does this change the tressym's int score in any way(adding to it), or does it simply wait till the score listed is better than the one that comes naturally? (tressym is int 13 i believe)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Taloras said:
Anyone tried the tressym(FR) as a familiar? Im thinking about it, but i have a question. Familiars have an INT score according to your level. does this change the tressym's int score in any way(adding to it), or does it simply wait till the score listed is better than the one that comes naturally? (tressym is int 13 i believe)

There is supposed to be errata for the FRCS that reduces the Tressym's Int to a 2. (If has an Int greater than 2, it's technically not an animal.)

Taloras

First Post
Caliban said:

There is supposed to be errata for the FRCS that reduces the Tressym's Int to a 2. (If has an Int greater than 2, it's technically not an animal.)

Well, in the description for the Tressym, it specifically states that it is highly intelligent, which is why wizards like them for familiars. Its highly intelligent, but cannot speak. Of course, if i get the Tressym as a familiar.....it will be more intelligent than half the party.

Last edited:

Remove ads