D&D (2024) Find Familiar, the Alert feat, and the loss of the fly-by Owl.

One side this doesn't touch on though are those PCs that have tangible pets. You know, ones they can lose forever. We had a dog in our campaign several years ago, and it died. I'm not going to lie, it was a bit heartbreaking. And it wasn't even a glorified narrative death. It was just us not paying close enough attention to everything going on around us.

This spiritual realm entity diminishes those that want something tangible.
When I was younger, I agreed with you. But after losing lots of mundane pets in games throughout the years (it's a matter of when, not if), that tangible effect was a 100% prescripted misery, and it is recurring misery if you keep getting more mundane pets. Every mortal animal companion dies, and if it was part of the character design, that can ruin the character.

As the PCS advance and fight ever more dangerous foes, their animal companions (and humanoid NPCs) will not survive any encounter where the party gets hit by AoEs like breath weapons. It gets even worse for younger players who are attached to their pets. Oh your party has a pet wolf named Fangus Rex and a pet black bear named Winston von Ursius the 3rd? Meet Crixix and Roardarq, a mated pair of Chimeras. Good luck keeping both pets alive. Oh, picked up more pets to replace them? Meet Vermithornarcissios, the Young Green Dragon. Good luck, again.

Having a beloved animal companion die It is a valid experience to have at least once. But again and again? Ugh, no thanks. For "Good" heroes, it's animal cruelty to bring them to a fight against monsters that can step on them.

When I was younger, I agreed with you. But after losing lots of mundane pets in games throughout the years (it's a matter of when, not if), that tangible effect was a 100% prescripted misery, and it is recurring misery if you keep getting more mundane pets. Every mortal animal companion dies, and if it was part of the character design, that can ruin the character.

As the PCS advance and fight ever more dangerous foes, their animal companions (and humanoid NPCs) will not survive any encounter where the party gets hit by AoEs like breath weapons. It gets even worse for younger players who are attached to their pets. Oh your party has a pet wolf named Fangus Rex and a pet black bear named Winston von Ursius the 3rd? Meet Crixix and Roardarq, a mated pair of Chimeras. Good luck keeping both pets alive. Oh, picked up more pets to replace them? Meet Vermithornarcissios, the Young Green Dragon. Good luck, again.

Having a beloved animal companion die It is a valid experience to have at least once. But again and again? Ugh, no thanks. For "Good" heroes, it's animal cruelty to bring them to a fight against monsters that can step on them.
I think this is a table play-style experience more than an inevitability. We had a cat last an entire campaign once. It, for the most part, stayed at the brewery one of our PCs created. We also had a parrot and monkey during an ocean campaign that lasted. For the most part, they stayed on the ship, but were a big help when we needed to view things from "above" or have the monkey sneak around the ship to grab something.

I also think it all depends on how much the PCs want the pet to survive. Our dog was with us until level 8. We often had it jump inside our bag of holding, and at later levels, our wizard would often put it inside Rope Trick or Tiny Hut. We didn't that time because we were careless, and it cost us.

I'm just saying, there are plenty of campaigns it can work.

I like having both.

Usually we let "real" animals have a few hp when the "owner" levels up. to represent luck or training...like PCs get...
Agreed, both are good for many campaigns. I do like the idea of something tangible levelling up with the PCs. That might be a good little blurb in the new DM's Guide.

I think this is a table play-style experience more than an inevitability. We had a cat last an entire campaign once. It, for the most part, stayed at the brewery one of our PCs created. We also had a parrot and monkey during an ocean campaign that lasted. For the most part, they stayed on the ship, but were a big help when we needed to view things from "above" or have the monkey sneak around the ship to grab something.

I also think it all depends on how much the PCs want the pet to survive. Our dog was with us until level 8. We often had it jump inside our bag of holding, and at later levels, our wizard would often put it inside Rope Trick or Tiny Hut. We didn't that time because we were careless, and it cost us.

I'm just saying, there are plenty of campaigns it can work.
Oh yeah, having a pet back at one's base of operations is totally fine. But I'm mostly talking about having combat companions or pets used on the battlefield to enhance effectiveness.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This is why I say "combat pet" concepts are flawed unless the pet is an immortal spirit, or is a manifested extension of oneself (I tend to run familiar as an aspect of oneself, but I've considered opening it up to becoming bound to a specific spirit (fey, fiendish, undead, celestial, etc.)

In my game, when spiritual entities from other planes (like spirit pets, elementals, fey, celestials, and fiends) die in combat, they awaken to their intangible spirit form in their spirit realm, as if from a dream, not remembering the specific pain of injury or death. One might say the Material World is like a dream world for them. That is how I justify the narrative of combat pets in a universe where "Good" is a tangible esoteric theme.
This is a really good take, and gives a narrative reason that is at least consistent for what the rules present.

ECMO3

Hero
Assuming this is going to stay, let’s sort through some permutations of a Rogue using a familiar to get advantage on Sneak Attack. (For each time the Familiar Helps, it can also Dodge and not continue moving; that allows SA without Advantage, and leaves it vulnerable)

(1) ONE TURN, USE REACTION
  • Rogue Readies an action, to attack once the Familiar Helps
  • (Rogue also moves, uses Cunning Action, but can’t Hide).
  • Familiar moves and Helps
  • Rogue uses reaction to Sneak attack (with Advantage).
  • Familiar may continue moving, risking opportunity attack.
PLUS: All on player’s turn. MINUS: Uses reaction (uncanny dodge not available), Cunning action not available after attack (Rogue not hidden).

(2) TWO TURNS
  • Rogue Attacks without SA (or using an Ally or whatever). Bonus Action to Hide (Cunning Action).
  • Familiar moves and Helps.
  • Monster goes (possibly attacking the Familiar).
  • On the next turn, Rogue gets Sneak Attack (with Advantage), and may hide again afterwards
PLUS: Cunning Action available after attack, reaction available for uncanny Dodge. MINUS: Takes a turn to set up (battlefield changes), Familiar vulnerable.

(3) ONE TURN, ALERT FEAT
CAVEAT: Familiars working on the caster’s initiative: does this mean that the order can be swapped with the Alert feat (as presented in the Character-Origins UA)? The Familiar is an ally and always goes after the player. I think this is exactly what the feat is meant to do, and rewarding an Alert rogue makes sense, but it requires an investment (“feat tax”) – this will also help Beastmaster Rangers (and should).
  • In turn 1, everyone rolls initiative, and the Alert Rogue switches order with their familiar
  • On its turn, the Familiar moves and Helps.
  • Rogue moves and Attacks (with Advantage), and may hide again afterwards.
PLUS: All on Player’s turn, Cunning Action available after attack, reaction available for uncanny Dodge. MINUS: Feat tax.

(4) ONE TURN, USE MOVE AND BONUS ACTION
  • Player uses Bonus action to use Steady Aim, does not move, and Attacks with advantage.
  • Familiar does its own thing (dodging, Helping another ally, whatever).
PLUS: All on player’s turn, Familiar safe, reaction available for uncanny Dodge. MINUS: Cunning action not available, Move not available (may add issues of cover, etc.).

All of these options require trade-offs, which perhaps is as it should be. Without risking a Familiar, you can get advantage if you give up your Move and Bonus Action, losing one of the most powerful Rogue abilities in Cunning Action. Easier perhaps for a ranged Rogue (=4). With a Familiar, you can Spend your Reaction and do it all in one turn, losing access to Uncanny Dodge (=1), or spread over two turns and keep your Reaction (=2). Or you can spend a feat to become Alert (=3).

Assuming the DM lets you switch places with your Familiar with the Alert feat, the feat becomes a great investment for any level-1 Rogue, and a Human Rogue (with an extra feat) is very viable – losing Darkvision for Alert becomes a reasonable trade.

I don't see this as being a big deal at all. An Owl has Flyby, but it also has an 11 AC and 1 hp.

Flyby helps a bit at low level, against most enemies, but at medium levels familiars are so weak, that even with flyby they are rarely going to last more than 1 round against any enemy if you use them in combat. Rogues don't get familiars until level 3 (unless you get a feat at 1st level and take Magic Initiate) so they don't have them in the very early levels where this will make a bigger difference.

TBH once you hit 5th level I don't even think an Owl is the best familiar to have, a Bat or Raven is IMO. Both of these have strong options out of combat and situational options in combat that are not likely to draw a lot of attacks.

Also Arcane Tricksters can't cast Find Familiar as a ritual, so if you want to reliably have a familiar in the fight you are going to need to burn a lot of your spell slots to do it. This is less of an issue if you have only 1 or 2 fights a day, but if you are on the normal encounter budget you are going to be casting Find Familiar a lot.

GeminiDragon

Villager
For many builds over the past ten years, it has been useful in combat for martials to have a familiar. Playtest changes will alter that. Please help me think through how the changes will work for playing Rogues in 2024 (assuming things stay as we’ve seen them).

In 2014, Find Familiar (which a rogue could get through Arcane Trickster, Magic Initiate, or a wizard-dip) gave you a creature (a) with its own initiative count, (b) that could have flyby (if an Owl). It meant some finessing to get the two to interact RAW, and most DMs I’m sure fudged it, but it was possible. With what we’ve seen in the playtest, both these variables have changed.

The Druid-and-Paladin UA has a revised Find Familiar, with a template, giving the caster a choice between land (+2 AC)/air (fly speed)/water (swim speed), that scales with the spell-level used. But it now works on the player’s initiative, moving after the player, and doesn’t have flyby.

Assuming this is going to stay, let’s sort through some permutations of a Rogue using a familiar to get advantage on Sneak Attack. (For each time the Familiar Helps, it can also Dodge and not continue moving; that allows SA without Advantage, and leaves it vulnerable)

(1) ONE TURN, USE REACTION
  • Rogue Readies an action, to attack once the Familiar Helps
  • (Rogue also moves, uses Cunning Action, but can’t Hide).
  • Familiar moves and Helps
  • Rogue uses reaction to Sneak attack (with Advantage).
PLUS: All on player’s turn. MINUS: Uses reaction (uncanny dodge not available), Cunning action not available after attack (Rogue not hidden).

(2) TWO TURNS
  • Rogue Attacks without SA (or using an Ally or whatever). Bonus Action to Hide (Cunning Action).
  • Familiar moves and Helps.
  • Monster goes (possibly attacking the Familiar).
  • On the next turn, Rogue gets Sneak Attack (with Advantage), and may hide again afterwards
PLUS: Cunning Action available after attack, reaction available for uncanny Dodge. MINUS: Takes a turn to set up (battlefield changes), Familiar vulnerable.

(3) ONE TURN, ALERT FEAT
CAVEAT: Familiars working on the caster’s initiative: does this mean that the order can be swapped with the Alert feat (as presented in the Character-Origins UA)? The Familiar is an ally and always goes after the player. I think this is exactly what the feat is meant to do, and rewarding an Alert rogue makes sense, but it requires an investment (“feat tax”) – this will also help Beastmaster Rangers (and should).
  • In turn 1, everyone rolls initiative, and the Alert Rogue switches order with their familiar
  • On its turn, the Familiar moves and Helps.
  • Rogue moves and Attacks (with Advantage), and may hide again afterwards.
PLUS: All on Player’s turn, Cunning Action available after attack, reaction available for uncanny Dodge. MINUS: Feat tax.

(4) ONE TURN, USE MOVE AND BONUS ACTION
  • Player uses Bonus action to use Steady Aim, does not move, and Attacks with advantage.
  • Familiar does its own thing (dodging, Helping another ally, whatever).
PLUS: All on player’s turn, Familiar safe, reaction available for uncanny Dodge. MINUS: Cunning action not available, Move not available (may add issues of cover, etc.).

All of these options require trade-offs, which perhaps is as it should be. Without risking a Familiar, you can get advantage if you give up your Move and Bonus Action, losing one of the most powerful Rogue abilities in Cunning Action. Easier perhaps for a ranged Rogue (=4). With a Familiar, you can Spend your Reaction and do it all in one turn, losing access to Uncanny Dodge (=1), or spread over two turns and keep your Reaction (=2). Or you can spend a feat to become Alert (=3).

Assuming the DM lets you switch places with your Familiar with the Alert feat, the feat becomes a great investment for any level-1 Rogue, and a Human Rogue (with an extra feat) is very viable – losing Darkvision for Alert becomes a reasonable trade.
A consideration, based off knowledge of another Rogue subclass with it built in, the mobility feat (+10 movement, immunity to Attacks of Opportunity from the opponent you attempted to hit, successfully or missed is not a factor... also when you dash you negate the speed reduction of difficult terrain, but only the second part matters here), similar to the Swashbuckler Rogue's Fancy Footwork... this allows you to not need cunning action to disengage. Cost: Feat for your feet, but it does come with some nice extras, the increased movement allows you to transverse the field of battle with ease.

For me, it's a taste thing but also a gameplay issue. One familiar in the party is okay, but they really slow the game down and put extra emphasis on the players who have them, at the expense of players who don't. Sorry rogue, but your services are a lot less important when the wizard can send their familiar ahead and scout through its senses. And they do get used to create mechanical advantages that I find cheesy, like the fly-by owl of the title.
I agree. In vanilla 5e, the problem with familiars is that it is a ridiculously powerful spell for essentially no cost:
  • 0 spell slot cost;
  • 10 gp and 10 minutes to recast;
  • Grant advantage on attacks once per turn;
  • Free low-risk scouting;
  • Deliver touch spells without putting yourself personally at risk.

Stormonu

Legend
I've canned the BS of pets/minions/hirelings/etc. rolling separate initiatives. They go on the controlling player's turn, no if and or buts (call it Side initiative, if you will).

Also agree that pet/familiar death is a little too easy to come up as the game currently stands (its not a case of "if", but "when"). Part of it is D&D focusing too much on defeat = death, but it would also be nice if they had a little bit of durability. Sure, there should certainly be a risk you're willing to accept if you send your Owl familiar into a combat, but it should have a chance to survive in the first place.

Remove ads