D&D 5E Barbarian Duel-Wielding

GameDoc

Explorer
I think the Barbarian's Unarmored Defense wasn't necessarily intended to promote high Dex (although tis a viable way to go), so much as emphasize Constitution and reflect the toughness of the typical barbarian. It allows a high Con score to replace the need other warrior classes have for armor, particularly when you consider the way higher Con increases HP on the barbarians already larger hit dice and rage grants damage resistance.

By comparison, Str-basted fighters' AC is primarily a function of armor and secondarily their Dex bonus. So a barbarian's effective AC can be primarily a high Con and secondarily from Dex.

You're taking about a drow barbarian so you've already broken with convention, so I don't think it's essential to think of it as a high Dex character. Emphasize strength. The barbarian class feature increase your speed and offset the hazards of moving around the battlefield as you advance. You don't have to be the best at everything your character aspires to be at 1st level.

Two weapon fighting, until you can get the feat, limits you to d6 weapons, but considering you get to roll that twice, you've mimicked great weapon damage. Forget the notion that a two-weapon warrior has to be Dex-based. Sure it's a powerful choice when combined with fines weapons, but it's not essential. Use your strength with a pair of scimitars, hand axes, or short swords until you can get a fear to upgrade to larger
ones.

What you have is an unconventional and pretty cool concept. Structure your personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw accordingly and if your roleplay the character well, your DM should be giving you inspiration to boost your actions to mitigate any design choices that are less that optimal.

And remember bounded accuracy - suboptimal choices are not the suckfest they were in past editions.

Cernor

Explorer
I know this is entirely up to how you want to play your character, but here are my thoughts on TWF Barbarians. I'm sharing because I was tempted to build a TWF barbarian once, but there were a few things that turned me off of it (and I think most of them have already been mentioned earlier in the thread).

First and foremost, since your off-hand attack is a bonus action, you only get it once per turn and it can't be used at the same time as your rage (or frenzy). This is a BIG weakness compared to 2H fighting where you enter rage and get two attacks (with higher average damage) on every turn, as opposed to having to spend a turn taking only two attacks while you rage, and then getting three attacks on subsequent turns.

Speaking of three attacks, the Path of the Berserker gives you effectively the same benefit as dual wielding: while raging (at the cost of a bonus action) you can make an extra attack by using a bonus action. Unlike dual wielding, however, you gain your ability modifier to the damage (up to a whopping +7 at 20th level) of that attack, and because you can use it with a two-handed weapon, it deals even more damage!

My second big concern with TWF is that you're pretty much required to take the Dual Wielder feat to bring your damage to a point where it can potentially rival that dealt by 2H weapons. If you're dealing 1d6 per attack (before 5th level) your ideal damage each turn is 2d6 + modifier: equal to that of a greatsword, but you have one additional roll to make and therefore one more chance to miss (as well as the aforementioned use of a bonus action). With the Dual Wielder feat, this increases to 2d8 + modifier, and after you get the Extra Attack it increases to 3d8 + 2 * modifier, which is marginally lower than the 4d6 + 2 * modifier dealt by a greatsword (1 point on average). Including rage, the damage dealt by TWF is slightly higher, but you still have the extra attack roll you could potentially miss.

So I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across as I mean to, but personally I think that TWF is slightly worse compared to 2H fighting. I admit that this is entirely my personal preference as the differences are minimal (for a Totem Warrior, quite a bit bigger for a Berserker) and the extra chance of getting a critical hit offsets the chance of missing. Oh, and because the mental image I have of a barbarian charging into battle with a massive axe in both hands is ruined a bit by replacing the axe with two daggers. ;)

sithramir

First Post
Your rage damage bonus can be added to the second attack if you use str. That pushes TWF slightly ahead I think? Sorry on phone

Cernor

Explorer
Yeah you can, but you won't always be raging. For simplicity's sake I chose to ignore it. And your lower chance to hit with every attack (ie having to make 2 rolls instead of 1) balances that extra damage out because you'll miss that many more times (theoretically. Reckless makes that less of an issue but isn't always ideal to use.)

Xeterog

Explorer
First and foremost, since your off-hand attack is a bonus action, you only get it once per turn and it can't be used at the same time as your rage (or frenzy). This is a BIG weakness compared to 2H fighting where you enter rage and get two attacks (with higher average damage) on every turn, as opposed to having to spend a turn taking only two attacks while you rage, and then getting three attacks on subsequent turns.

Speaking of three attacks, the Path of the Berserker gives you effectively the same benefit as dual wielding: while raging (at the cost of a bonus action) you can make an extra attack by using a bonus action. Unlike dual wielding, however, you gain your ability modifier to the damage (up to a whopping +7 at 20th level) of that attack, and because you can use it with a two-handed weapon, it deals even more damage!

My second big concern with TWF is that you're pretty much required to take the Dual Wielder feat to bring your damage to a point where it can potentially rival that dealt by 2H weapons. If you're dealing 1d6 per attack (before 5th level) your ideal damage each turn is 2d6 + modifier: equal to that of a greatsword, but you have one additional roll to make and therefore one more chance to miss (as well as the aforementioned use of a bonus action). With the Dual Wielder feat, this increases to 2d8 + modifier, and after you get the Extra Attack it increases to 3d8 + 2 * modifier, which is marginally lower than the 4d6 + 2 * modifier dealt by a greatsword (1 point on average). Including rage, the damage dealt by TWF is slightly higher, but you still have the extra attack roll you could potentially miss.

Two handed fighting will pump out the most damage, but it looks like to me that TWF is not that far behind. It does have some advantages as well.

1) AC is better after you take the TWF feat
2) You always get the bonus action to attack, except on the 1st turn of rage (once you get the feat, use a versatile weapon like a longsword or a battle axe two-handed for a little more damage on that round). With Frenzy, you also have this problem--in addition to the level of exhaustion that occurs after it, so you probably won't use frenzy more than once a day (twice at most I would think). With GWM, you only get the extra bonus attack if you crit or take an opponent to 0HP, which might be often but it will not be every round.
3) With more attacks, you can potentially engage more targets.
4) less chance of over kill

Personally, I kinda like the idea of a (almost)naked dwarf barbarian wielding 2 battle axes :) (Kind of reminds me of troll slayers :) and the DPR, though lower, is acceptable. Probably best to go Barbarian 5/Fighter 4/barbarian 11 to get the most out of it :)

Cernor

Explorer
1) AC is better after you take the TWF feat
On the one hand, since you'd probably be exclusively TWFing, you'd usually have that +1. On the other hand, you could get +2 to Dex to increase AC, or +1 Dex (if already on an odd number) and +1 Str/Con instead of taking that feat. and gain a +1 regardless (or +2 if hitting even Con and Dex scores). Or build your Dex to be an odd number so that you can get a feat which gives +1 Dex (Athlete or the like) and get that feat's effects as well as the +1 AC. Again, a personal preference rather than clear-cut "Option X is better."

2) You always get the bonus action to attack, except on the 1st turn of rage (once you get the feat, use a versatile weapon like a longsword or a battle axe two-handed for a little more damage on that round). With Frenzy, you also have this problem--in addition to the level of exhaustion that occurs after it, so you probably won't use frenzy more than once a day (twice at most I would think). With GWM, you only get the extra bonus attack if you crit or take an opponent to 0HP, which might be often but it will not be every round.

I agree that the extra attack granted by GWM isn't going to be every turn, especially against bigger enemies as opposed to swarms. However, if taking GWM>DW, the biggest benefit will be the -5 to hit in exchange for +10 to damage. Reckless Attack offsets the penalty somewhat, making it a semi-reliable damage increase rather than a situational gamble. Also, keep in mind that if you're using rage on the first turn of combat and have DW (if I understand the rules correctly), you can go move --> rage (bonus action) --> attack with 2H weapon [x2 at level 5+] (action) --> sheathe 2H weapon, draw two 1H weapons (environmental interaction). If you're using a versatile weapon, the only change is that you wouldn't have to sheathe the first weapon, and you have a slightly lower potential damage.

3) With more attacks, you can potentially engage more targets.

Umm... Barbarians aren't really made for engaging multiple targets. Beating the hell out of one target until it dies is where they shine. Controlling crowds is best left to spellcasters, because of things like Entangle and Sleep.

4) less chance of over kill

Higher chance of underkill, requiring your extra attack(s) to finish them off. One of my friends plays a TWF ranger (despite taking archery fighting style), and the biggest problem he has is missing his MH attack and so without the bonus on his OH attack he fails to kill things... which then continue eating his party, which has almost caused TPKs multiple times. This also shows up with barbarians, unless you multiclass to get the fighting style... But the problem with multiclassing is that you then don't get the 20th-level bonus: raging an unlimited number of times a day (very nice) and getting +4 to Str and Con. This gives you +2 to AC, as well as +2 to every attack and damage roll you make. If you make 3 attacks per turn as a TWF you get a maximum of +6 damage from the 20th level boost, compared to a maximum of +5 by multiclassing to get the TWF style. Just a thought.

Remove ads