It needs to be more of a sandbox than a railroad?

Oryan77

Adventurer
This topic came from some thoughts I had based on the thread here.

I just didn't want to derail that thread, so I am ranting in my own thread. :p

I don't mean to say that either is good or bad. But I've played in plenty of sandbox games to recognize that just because you DM a sandbox game does not automatically make your game better than a railroaded game. It also does not mean that just because you run a railroaded game, it is automatically worse than a sandbox game. I understand the extremes of what makes a railroaded game bad (notice I said "extremes") and I definitely notice what can make a sandbox game bad.

What people don't seem to realize is that a good adventure will have a bit of both aspects (sandbox and railroad). But being a railroad does not make it a bad adventure. It's impossible to run a pre-written adventure without it being a railroad. Otherwise, you'll never complete it. Or if you somehow do, it won't make any sense at all when you finish the last chapter. On the flip side, saying that an adventure should be a sandbox doesn't even make sense. The adventure itself has to be a railroad or there is no way to reach a conclusion (the end). Being a sandbox has nothing to do with the adventure. It's up to the DM as to how much he railroads them in the adventure. Even if you try to say that the players should have choices on how to accomplish tasks in the adventure, that's still up to the DM. You can't blame an adventure for that. Even if it's written that object X is the only item that can get PCs past room Y, you still can't put that on the adventure if the DM can't figure out how to handle that before the PCs end up in room Y without object X. Sure, that's the adventure railroading a bit, but what's wrong with that? It's part of the "puzzle" and if the PCs miss it, it's up to the DM to nudge them along until they finally get it or figure out an alternative if they missed a clue.

Some might even say, "Well I'd like to be able to skip around chapters of the adventure rather than be forced to go through them in order." Ok, but what does that matter? The only person that should even be aware of that is the DM. And as a DM, why do I care if the PCs are forced to do things in a particular order? The players shouldn't necessarily realize that they are going in some sort of order within the adventure. The illusion should be that there is no order at all. It shouldn't even be in the players minds.

So I just don't see how a pre-written adventure can even be a sandbox adventure. The closest I can come up with is Dead Gods and Tales from the Infinite Staircase. I have run both, and all they do is provide chapters that can be run in any order and still allow the PCs to make it to the end. But it is recommended for them to at least go through all of the chapters so that when they make it to the end, the ending makes sense to them! But I never felt like that choice was a big benefit for the adventure. It certainly didn't make me enjoy DMing it any more than any other adventure (it's actually more of a hassle for me since I like to prep ahead of time and not knowing where they go first leaves me guessing which chapters to prep first). Players don't honestly care because they don't know that they are "going off track". As far as they are concerned, their actions took them on a linear path regardless of whether you can run the chapters in any order or not.

Rather than focus on if your game is considered sandbox or railroad, focus on how to use both aspects to your advantage and avoid the problems that make both of those "extremes" a bad gaming style. What makes a sandbox game bad is when it is so open-ended, that there are no hooks planned out to nudge players on. The DM just waits for the players to provide a hook rather than the players waiting for a hook to present itself. Then he tries to run with something without having any real thoughts about it.

I've played in several sandbox games that did that and were absolutely boring. I mean, mind numbingly boring. Even when we gave the DM a hook to run with, the games were boring. I don't play D&D as a player so I can create adventures for the DM. My PC might provide a possible adventure for the DM to run with, but I don't want it so open-ended that nothing happens unless I initiate it. I can't imagine those are very long lasting campaigns. I'm sure even a good sandbox game has to have some kind of pre-planned prep going on so there is some kind of structure for an adventure? And once you are using those ideas in the game, you aren't exactly running a sandbox game either. You just hooked them in and set them on the railroad tracks.

Then I know what people mean when they say that railroading is bad. But they have a misconception about that. The extreme, which is what most are referring to I think, is when their PCs actions really have no impact, and their actions are even thwarted most of the time so that the DM doesn't have to deal with any left turns in his plot/adventure. I agree, that's bad. But that in no way makes "railroading" bad. The trick is, to railroad by giving the illusion that you are not railroading. Think of it like a movie. You might be in the middle of it, all on edge and filled with excitement while young Anakin is talking to Jar-Jar, and as soon as you see that boom mic dip into frame, you're pulled out because they just screwed it up and now you're reminded that you are watching a movie. Same thing with an adventure.

I like running pre-written adventures. I don't have time to write entire storylines, NPCs, locations, encounters, and treasures myself. I also find it fun running them. So when I buy one, and prepare it, I expect to be running it. So sure, I don't want the PCs to decide to go spelunking when the adventure requires them to get hooked into going down into the sewers of the city. So rather than dip the boom mic into frame by having a gargantuan red dragon blocking the only way to the cave, I'm going to figure out how to make something just as interesting happen that will get them wanting to go into the sewers and put that spelunking trip on hold (and then I can prep some quick dungeon crawl for the next session now that I know they want that). It's an illusion, I tricked you into changing your minds about spelunking and now yer all curious about these children that keep pickpocketing you and escaping down into the sewers (and those kids aren't even part of the sewer adventure, I just needed a different hook to get you there). There also needs to be some sort of gentleman's agreement with the DM. Yer being a pretty big douche if you realize the DM keeps trying to hook you into a scenario and you purposely keep avoiding it because you want to figure out how to go spelunking that bad at that moment.

At the same time, the DM still needs to be flexible and roll with the punches. I am constantly putting my pre-written adventures on hold because the PCs go off on a tangent. The thing is, I tell them that I will be making it up as we go since I didn't prepare for it. And if they are ok with it possibly being a tad underwhelming since I wasn't prepared, then we run with it. It may take me a few sessions, but I always get them back on track so we can get back to the adventure. Even if it means that I connivingly managed to divert their off-beat path right back onto my railroad tracks. The trick is to keep it from being obvious (don't dip the mic). A lot of the time, even diverting them back on track and making what they unexpectedly did relate to the adventure makes them more intrigued and surprised, and then they go full speed down the railroad tracks without me pushing them.

So, I'm just tired of the whole "railroad is bad, sandbox is good" bandwagon that so many people have been on for so long. I think people are more concerned with using words like "sandbox" to appear as if they are a better DM rather than simply being a better DM.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A bad sandbox is worse than a bad railroad.

I agree, neither is a quality judgement. They're styles, they have their places, and something in between the two usually works better than either extreme.

A railroad can be *really* good with a certain amount of player buy-in. It can also chafe without that buy-in.

neonagash

First Post
Meh, I think your wrong about sandboxes needing to be prepped too.

I've pretty much exclusively ran sandbox games for years specifically because I dont have a lot of time to prep.

I just make it up as I go. Its really not that hard. When the players are looking for something to do just make up a bunch of different rumors, some might be related, some might not. Doesnt matter, the only one you need to do any justification on is the one they actually think is interesting enough to investigate. The others.... meh, who cares?

And while they are investigating that one rumor make sure they hear lots of others. Make sure some are totally bogus ( it lends a sense of reality, i mean really why is every tavern drunk with a fish story telling the truth in so much of D&D land? Doesnt make a lick of sense to me. ) My players have learned to take notes of the things they find interesting.

For instance in my NWoD hunter game last time the players heard a bunch of rumors and decided to follow up on one from a crazy hunter/ survivalist type one guy knew (totally made up on the spot) about rumors of zombies in a South Dakota town.

On the road trip there they stopped in a diner because they passed a "hunter spot" Which is something I made up. Basically loose organisations of hunters got together and developed a mobile app where they can mark a hot spot and leave notes. But being a bunch of crazed vigilantes some arent the best note takers.

So because theres only so much interesting to describe on a road trip from Las Vegas to SD I have a spot buzz that just says to avoid the hospital at night in this tiny little town. Zero prep.

Naturally players being players they pull over to investigate and ask around a small diner and get some clues which lead them to conclude its a ghost. (it wasnt at first, but I figured if they have ghosts on the brain then thats bound to be an interesting encounter for them so lets roll with it). I'm all set for a ghost hunt now..... and they ask about the hunter who left the note. Uh oh. No prep, I'm doomed right? Nah. I just spun a story about a slightly bumbling but well meaning ghost hunter who had an encounter one day that showed him the real darkness of the world and thus was a hunter born. Oh and he's got a website with some youtube video's of his old and newer hunts.

Now they wanna talk to him, (crap) but its okay because he's dead now. Naturally they want to know how. So instead of going with the obvious and him dying in the hospital.... (screw that cheese, i like mine weirder) he was actually on a treasure hunt for the lost Dutchman mine, and had cameras that amazingly recorded and uploaded video live from deep in a mine. (do they ask about how the heck he did that without a huge budget, crew and logistics? No, they would have I'm sure but instead they wanted to see the video, cool, cue the video) So i describe a video about bumbling but armed treasure hunters wading through waist deep water in an abandoned mine in an undisclosed location in the superstition mountains. Who are then attacked by a difficult to see well (darkness and water) octopus like creature who kills and eats them both, which they naturally heroically fight and lose to.

Now the players are hooked. 20 minutes of knowledge checks and some general making stuff totally up on my part and we have a possible race of subterranean octopi, as first described by Jules Verne in a lost chronicle (he was a hunter too) and it probably got there because the earths surface is potentially riddled with caves below the water table, and hey the sea of cortez is not that far from Arizona so it could have come from there, or its relatives, who knows? (why an octopus? I dont know, first thing that came to mind and being trapped with a big ass octopus in a watery cave sounds scary to me.)

They still went to finish the zombie quest (which went hilariously wrong despite/ because of all their seeming best efforts to ensure it would do so) but copious notes were taken by said players on the other two plots and they are already debating which one to follow after healing up.

Now as I said I'm running a NWoD hunter game, but we just wrapped a PF game with an AP at its core and did the same thing. Lots of rumors, Lots of weird off quest mischief, including a kobald deliberating throwing an honor duel because he thought the viking wouldnt kill him if didnt fight back (oops, failed that WIS check) a half orc becoming a viking chief and three sessions getting taken up exploring an ancient ruin inhabited by a trapped evil fey, a witch that might or might not be evil but probably not from appearances, and huge, ancient underground levels half flooded (its on the coast and the tides eroded holes to the sea) all spurred by running one week as a side quest because half the party had their car die at the last minute and couldnt make it so I just made up some options for the rest of the party to investigate and this is the one they picked. The only reason they got back on the main story at all was one of the time elements triggered and some of the half orcs new followers got killed, which reminded them of the actual point of coming to that island in the first place

So it works fine even with pre-written adventures too.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I just make it up as I go.

I don't mean to say it can't be done. Just like I'm saying that it's wrong to think that a railroaded game can't be perfectly good. My point is, people claim that anything referred to as railroaded is bad, and sandbox automatically means it's better (and can't be bad). Labeling either term as good or bad and either one as being the right way to do it and the other is the wrong way is what I find to be odd.

But the thing that got me to start this thread is when so many people answered a poll by voting that keeping a pre-written adventure as a sandbox is the most important thing to do when writing an adventure. I just don't get it. You're entire example is based off of "making it up as you go". Which is what we think of as being a sandbox. We let the players do what they want and we make it up as we go. So how on earth is the sandbox concept one of the most important things in making a pre-written adventure a good adventure? I take the time to run a published adventure because I don't want to make it up as a go. I will make up the parts for when the PCs go off track. But I'm running the adventure so that I can railroad them into eventually completing the adventure. Like I said before, sandboxing seems more like it is up to the DM to do, not a published adventure. It completely seems like people just voted that because seeing the word "sandbox" must mean "better and most important", so they had a knee-jerk reaction to vote for that option. :lol:

In keeping true to a sandbox mentality, I'd say that a blank sheet of paper would make for a fantastic published adventure. :p

Quickleaf

Legend
A bad sandbox is worse than a bad railroad.

I agree, neither is a quality judgement. They're styles, they have their places, and something in between the two usually works better than either extreme.

A railroad can be *really* good with a certain amount of player buy-in. It can also chafe without that buy-in.
Morrus puts it perfectly. :)

Oryan77 said:
Like I said before, sandboxing seems more like it is up to the DM to do, not a published adventure.
First, I want to emphasize that we agree we're talking about a spectrum and not the extremes. The douche DM who aggravatingly makes the players follow a hook they don't want to, and the douche player who refuses to follow a hook that everyone agreed to get on board with...well, neither of them have a place in this conversation. I believe most players/DMs are not douches, are actually pretty reasonable, and their games are in the grey area between Pure Sandbox & Pure Railroad.

Second, I want to say you're initiating a really good question: Can a published adventure be designed to help a DM to run a sandbox-ish game? If so, how?

I think that yes, an adventure can be easier or harder for a DM to (a) accomodate a greater bandwidth of player agency (meaningful choice), and (b) tweak, adapt, and otherwise kitbash. Here are some examples of HOW which I'm incorporating in my own adventure writing:

NPC/Power Group Timelines: What are the steps of the villain's plan if the PCs don't intervene? How does the plan adapt to certain changing conditions likely to come up during the adventure? For example, I know from my timeline for the Queen of Air & Darkness that if the PCs take out or redeem theFalse Queen in time then the False Queen doesn't lead the Unseelie Court to Mnemosyne, making it much harder for the Queen of Air & Darkness to find Mnemosyne later. Without the timeline I'd had to parse or memorize more of the adventure text; the timeline puts the information I need at a quick glance.

Rugged Adventures: The more important an adventure hook is (the higher it's page count), the more critical it is that the adventure hook be resilient. By this I mean, a mystery shouldn't unravel if a single divination spell is cast, a conspiracy or cult shouldn't crumble entirely if the leader is killed, an NPC that needs to be somewhere at a certain time better have a foolproof and thematically appropriate way of being there even if it means cheating death. Generally this applies to the main overarching campaign hook, since smaller adventure hooks can be solved/bypassed without "losing out on" as many printed pages of material.

Prepping to Improvise: Normally a prepared DM has lists of names, random encounter tables, and other resources to make their life easier when things don't go according to plan. An adventurer can make the DM's life easier by including such things tailored to the adventure's themes. Also, when listing NPCs in an appendix or cast of characters section, pointing out what other adventures/episodes that NPC plays an important role can be a great help to a DM if something happens to that NPC. Likewise, relationship matrix maps can be a big help in this regard too.

Breaker Walls: Having logical getting on / getting off points for the adventure really helps DMs customizing things for their group. For example, I've conveniently used 5th edition's tiers as a way to divide the different "chapters" of my adventure, providing story arcs with convenient spots to jump off of and do your own thing for a while. Or you can keep on going, the choice is yours.

Adventure Hooks: Providing multiple reasons to get involved in the adventures, along with multiple entry points can be helpful for DMs adapting the adventure to a more sandbox style of play.

Quest Connections: In a campaign the PCs' actions in one adventure can influence how events play out in another adventure. Marking that for DMs can be a great help when a DM sits down with his or her 30 minutes before the next game to figure out how to adjust the published adventure given what happened last game. A graphical "map" can help too, though such models tend to be more branching decision trees than a real sandbox. Still very useful no matter if your game leans more sandbox or more railroad.

Site-Based Adventure Design: This is the traditional hallmark of a sandbox style. Even if you strip out the story connecting everything you can still use the places. I listed it last because classic D&D tends to overdo this point at the expense of the others I've made.

Anyhow, those are a few of the ideas I'm playing with. :) Curious to hear other's thoughts.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
It's impossible to run a pre-written adventure without it being a railroad. Otherwise, you'll never complete it.
This depends a bit on the pre-written adventure.

For instance, it's possible to run G2 without it being a railroad - the players have their PCs kill giants until they die, kill them all, or get sick of it.

But I agree you can't start with G1 and be guaranteed, in advance, to make it all the way through to Q1 without it being a railroad.

For my part, because I don't like railroading, I don't run pre-written adventures as they are written. I use them as sources of backstory (history, NPC, maps), and for particular situations that I can drop into my game. (And G2 is, arguaby, one big giant-infested situation.)

Some people regard GM-authored situations as railroading, but personally I don't as long as the players are free to choose how their PCs engage the situation.

Some people regard GM-authored backstory as railroading (though probably not many ENworlders). I'm sympathetic to that view, and that affects both my choice of pre-written adventures, and the way in which I incorporate them into my game.

am181d

Adventurer
The opposite of "sandbox" isn't "railroad," it's "event-driven."

A properly run event-driven adventure hinges on specific events beyond the players' control and then adapts to their choices and actions.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Agreed.

The opposite of "sandbox" isn't "railroad," it's "event-driven."

No. We have a strong tendency to structure our discussions as if everything were at one end or another of a spectrum, but this often gives us an inaccurate view of the situation. We would do well to not force everything into dichotomies.

"Sandbox," "railroad," (or, to take out some of the connotation - "linear") and "event-driven," are not really poles. To say one is the opposite of another is kind of like saying that Italian cuisine is the opposite of French cuisine. They use similar ingredients, but differ in applications and techniques.

Quickleaf

Legend
"Sandbox," "railroad," (or, to take out some of the connotation - "linear") and "event-driven," are not really poles. To say one is the opposite of another is kind of like saying that Italian cuisine is the opposite of French cuisine. They use similar ingredients, but differ in applications and techniques.

That's an interesting perspective. I always saw sandbox & railroad as extreme poles at the end of a spectrum, useful as theoretical definitions to establish common language but hardly ever practiced in reality at game tables.

In a Pure Sandbox, the players generate all the driving conflict, decide wherever they want to go, and whatever they want to do. The GM take a purely reactive role.

In a Pure Railroad, the GM generates all the driving conflict, where the players go and what quests they undertake is pre-scripted. The players take a purely reactive role.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Railroad or Sandbox, whatever is run, it's a more immersive and satisfying experience, IMO, if it at least feels like a sandbox. ;)

That said, most adventures tend to be on a sliding scale somewhere between those two extremes.

Remove ads