Ley Lines

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Lord, yes! The best I've seen is in BadAxe Games (ie, our own Wulf Ratbane)'s new book Heroes of High Favor: Elves. I believe the ley line and nexus rules are available on his web site as a free download. I'm adopting them for my own campaign; they rock, and provide plot hooks/flavor without too many rules.

Check under downloads.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
maddman75 said:
I'm contemplating turning the Inner Fane in RttToEE into a power nexus :).

Rat bastard, I presume? Man, that is evil. But a great idea! YOINK!

There probably should be a power nexus in each "branch" of the Temple, one for each elemental faction. (I haven't actually read it so I don't know if there are 4 elements, just assuming...)

A couple of smaller nexuses in the outer areas will help prepare the party to deal with a power nexus in the Inner Fane-- and will be especially cool if they attempt to use the nexus for remote casting into the Inner Fane.

Of course, getting someone into the Inner Fane to anchor in the first place is probably a tall order. Remember two things: (a) you can't "find" a remote nexus until you have anchored to it at least once; and (b) you can automatically anchor to a power nexus if you are physically touching the focal point.

The party wizard or cleric may not be all that eager to TOUCH whatever the Temple inhabitants use for their focal point, of course...

EDIT: Just to add a couple more thoughts. The whole concept works much better if the party has to get in unseen and anchor. That way, the inhabitants won't be wary of remote casting. If the party is spotted, you can expect the Temple inhabitants to run clerics in shifts to shield the nexus.

Wulf

Last edited:

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
Ley "Places"....

Just as a point of interest but there are many places over here in England that end with "..ley", I for instance currently live in Morley in Leeds, places ensing with "ley" apparently lie on powerful ley lines...
Just thought you'd like to know....

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Re: Ley "Places"....

DungeonKeeperUK said:
I for instance currently live in Morley in Leeds, places ensing with "ley" apparently lie on powerful ley lines...

Useful tidbit... And "mor" of course means dark. Moria, Mordor... I'd get out of there if I were you.

I can't stop thinking about this RttToEE thing. Imagine the wizard off in a totally seperate area of the dungeon while the rest of his comrades assault the Inner Fane. The party gets there and starts taking out any spellcasters that appear to be anchored (and shielding) and then the wizard starts remote casting with fire support...

Mmm... Juicy tactics. Man, what an adventure!

Wulf

maddman75

First Post
MAJOR RTTTOEE SPOILER WARNING

The Inner Fane I'm talking about is the Temple of All Consumption. Its a volcanic lake with an island in the center. The outer ring is the Crater Ridge Mines, a huge circular dungeon. Within each there are four temples, one to each element. They fight and plot against each other for favor of the clerics. It would be reasonable to make these power nexuses as well.

At the center of the lake is the Outer Fane, where the most powerful members of the temple live and plot. Within this, is the Inner Fane, a tower used for communicating with their dark deity.

I'll have to really go over the ley lines rules to make sure I Want to do this, and see what the results are going to be. I'll probably drop some in-game clues as well, like a book on ley-lines for the group to find.

If it works out I'll post it on Monte's Boards for all the RttToEE DMs to have fun with.

Remove ads