D&D 5E What is best company for dice?

I'm curious. Have you quantified how poorly balanced they are? If so, how and what are the results?

One is distinctly ovoid more than spherical that makes it skew to the top and bottom (1s and 20s). Never did a saltwater test but put it in a adjustable spanner that revealed the unsymmetry.
Nothing that bad with my Chessex.

flametitan

Explorer
Majority of my collection is Chessex, though there's a couple whose company of origin I don't know.

I haven't found the need to push into more "precision" dice; my dusty blue w/ gold chessex set does its job well enough. I also have a dice tray, so that helps prevent dice from rolling everywhere for me.

Lanliss

Explorer
I have only been playing for a short while, but I like the Q-workshop designs I have gotten. I am not into all this science stuff, so I cannot account for their perfections or lack there-of, but I really like my Metal Steampunk dice. A nice bit of weight, and a solid sound when they land. Also plenty readable, which is one of my top needs with dice. I also prefer full sets, and won't buy single items like a meteorite d20. I would definitely like a full meteorite set, aside from the fact that it would likely cost 7-800 dollars.

I looked at Artisan Dice, and really like the look of them, but almost all of the dice I looked at have a warning to not roll more than one at a time, and not to roll them on anything hard, because they all chip easily. Cannot justify the cost for a brittle set of dice, as awesome as they look.

The last one I would point out, that no one has mentioned yet, is Skull Splitter dice. I am really wanting one of their sets of Dwarven Dice, more solid metal.

guachi

Hero
I have a fondness of the edges of gamescience. They're nice. And I enjoy how they don't roll as far, so they don't scatter across the table. But Chessex aren't terrible: I have quite a few from D&D mini sets that are very poorly balanced.

Yes. I forgot that a reason I like GameScience is they don't roll as far. Also, I think the sharp edges make the translucent gem-colored sets look much nicer.

And they're made in America! Though that might not be as meaningful for people who aren't Americans.

wheeelman

First Post
I just recently got interested in getting a good set and this guide to the best dice helped out a bunch. I settled in on Chessex but a buddy has GameScience. I like the looks of the Chessex Gemini better than the GameScience but as far as feel, I'd rate them about the same. Q-Workshop as some others have said have some pretty sweet looking sets as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads