The Fey, the Far, and the Ugly Space In Between

Tecklenburg

Explorer
This is happening while Saerie is slaying the first aboleth. That would put the sheepdog with her at the time so I couldn't get aid from its Intervene ability for this Defy Danger, right?

Per Manbearcat
That is correct.

Then I'm off in a flash, diving, flipping, somersaulting through the maze of polearms the enthralled hobgoblins are threatening me with. I know I need to get free of them and get to my sword so I can Wind Slash that second aboleth from its perch.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Dex)
6, 2 + 1 = 9.

Success but the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
You explode into action and tumble gracefully amidst an assortment of failed stabs and slashes that cut and prod nothing but air.

You slide on your knees across the stone and grab your blade. Unfortunately, the third of the trio was disarmed somewhere in the prior melee and goes for your body instead for the kill with his weapon. He is able to stay with you enough and you feel him barrel into you, sending the both of you rolling in a grappling pile of arms, legs, fists and elbows. When you come to rest, he is atop you, holding your wrists. He smashes your weapon hand into the stone floor, causing you to lose it and for it to slide just out of reach.

The other two give chase and will be upon you soon enough.

Through the grunts and struggle of the wrestling, I shout to Saerie, "SLAY THE REMAINING ABOLETH!" I don't want to kill these three, unfortunate puppets. The puppeteer is what matters.

With all the strength I can muster and decades of "live bullets in lethal martial combat, I attempt to reverse the grapple and put a couple well-placed elbows upside this hobgoblin's temple.

[sblock]Hack and Slash (Str)
6, 5 - 1 = 10.

I'm going to go ahead and allow him to counterattack in exchange for the extra 1d6 damage. I need him out of the fight and off me immediately. If I can, I'd like to get Wind Slash off before these other two guys engage me.

1d8 + 1d6 damage. 7 + 3 - 1 = 9 damage. The hobgoblin is out cold.

Counterattack versus me is b[2d6] + 1. 3 or 4 + 1 = 5 - 2 (armor) = 3 damage to me.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
You pay for it with an incidental head butt to your face that opens an unfriendly gash, but you neatly reverse the grapple and from the mount position you quickly deliver a few elbows that decisively ends the fracas. The hobgoblin is unconscious.

Due to your quick K.O. there, you've got just enough time to Wind Slash the aboleth before they fall upon you. Let us stop after that to catch up Saerie and the animal posse.

And I have some good news! The leather strap of your peace bond broke in the midst of the weapon's tumble so you no longer have the awkward tag with it.

[sblock]Wind Slash (Int)
2, 2 + 3 = 7

Deal your damage and 1 technique.

I don't need anymore danger right now, so my complication will be

* You do not deal your damage.

Going with the same thing as before - option 2. I want to rip this thing from its perch with force magic and send it crashing to the stone floor (1d4 environmental damage).

Burst: Your attack deals an additional 1d4 damage and gains the ‘forceful’ tag. Rolled 3 damage.

Rolled 1 damage on the 1d4 for environmental due to its fall. 4 total damage and hopefully it is now on the ground.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Just before the pair of hobgoblin thralls bear down on you with their polearms, you reach out and grasp the aboleth with telekinesis. Your force magic rends it from the fissure in the ceiling with a thunderous crash and it tumbles through the air...down to the unforgiving stone floor below.

Binks

Explorer
Rawr and I have the aboleth. When I'm down on my knee drawing my bow, I slap the sheepdog on the rump and point to Otthor and his plight. The old boy gets the picture immediately and, with his usual hitch in his giddy-up, he takes off to defend his new companion.

As Rawr wades into melee with the aboleth that Otthor just tore from the ceiling, I see him cringe and shake his head momentarily. But I've seen him stick his snout dead into a bee-hive and eat dozens of stings for his trouble. This creature's sickening aura will do little to my stout friend.

An arrow flies from my bow.

[sblock]Volley (Dex)
6, 1 + 2 (- 1 for peace-bond) = 8.

I'll choose to put myself in danger as described by the GM as my complication.

d8 (6) damage + 3 for Rawr. 9 - 1 = 8 damage to the aboleth.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Your arrow flies true as Rawr's jaws clinch on black rubbery flesh. The creature reacts violently to the terrible maiming, it's alien, vertically stacked red eyes almost making expressions that are familiar to you. Tentacles fly wide, shoving against Rawr, trying to extract him. Two more jolt toward you, threatening to slam into you and take you from your feet!

I rush right toward the stone table, slapping the tentacles hard with my bow as they approach me. I attempt to leap upon it sprint its length in effort to outrun the creature's reach!

[sblock]Defy Danger (Str)
2, 2 + 0 = 4

Marked 1 xp.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
You reach the table but as you leap upon it, the two tentacles grasp your legs, upending you so you smash hard onto your back, cracking your skull on the stone. The creature begins to draw your prone form toward it, making all kinds of noise as your body and kicking legs knock over the drinks and soup bowls from your meal.

[sblock]Roll 1d8 + 2 damage vs yourself.[/sblock]

[sblock]1d8 + 2. 8 - 1 = 7 damage to me.[/sblock]

Yikes. 7 HP left!

With my arms still free and my bow still in hand, I sit up and string another arrow as the creature pulls me across the stone table and toward it. I take a steadying breath and offer a silent prayer before I loose.

[sblock]Volley (Dex)
6, 4 + 2 (- 1 for peace-bond) = 11!

d8 (3) damage + 3 for Rawr. 6 - 1 = 5 damage to the aboleth. Dead.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Both the strength in the tentacles and your forward momentum stops abruptly. The creature's death throes are an unceremonious flop and then the invertebrate aberration loses its shape, oozing its nasty, fish-like body all over the floor.

Hang tight, Otthor still needs to take his turn to find out what happens concurrently with he and the hobgoblin mind-slaves. I'll move things forward after his next turn.

Tecklenburg

Explorer
I need to keep these guys busy while Saerie does her work. I've seen plenty of spear and shield phalanxes in my time. Now that I've crossed swords with these guys I'm looking for their posture and routines to figure out if they're going on the offensive or laying back and being cautious. Depending on that, I'll either float like a butterfly or weave a web of steel.

[sblock]Discern Realities via The Riddle of Steel (Wis)
4, 3 + 0 (+ 1 for TRoS) = 8

* What are my opponents planning to do. Take + 1 forward when acting on it.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Under different circumstances, they would likely be turtling up and playing it safe. However, with the aboleth dominating their minds, its all offense.

Alright, a web of steel it is. My blade works in arcs in a thousand different directions and my body is a spinnnig tempest as parry after parry rings out.

[sblock] Defend - myself (Con)
6, 3 + 1 + 1 = 11

I could spend 3 hold, but I only need 1 hold. I just want to halve their damage against me.

b[2d6] + 1 (+1 for second hobgoblin) = 2, 4. So 4 + 2 = 6/3 = 3 - 2 (armor) = 1 damage to me.[/sblock]

Per Manbearcat
Your defense and armor deflects the brunt of a coordinated assault of polearm thrusts and shield slams by the elite hobgoblin warriors. Suddenly, the warriors arms slack and their guard drops. They both blink their eyes and look at each other, and then you, oddly. A quick look around reveals the horror of the scene and they.

Utterly confused, their warrior instincts drive them quickly back to a defensive posture. They have no idea who their enemy is but you bear a weapon before them and carnage is everywhere.

My eyes are drawn to the dead aboleth and Saerie, obviously a little dazed and smarting, on the stone table. I lower my weapon, assertively rush around them to check on Saerie and speak to them in hobgoblin. "We are not your enemy. Your minds were stolen from you, restored by the death of this vile creature." I point to the aboleth corpse with my weapon as I rush by it. "Fear not, your king is safe."

When I'm at Saerie's side, I smile at her and help her to her feet and check on the gash on the back of her head where she smacked it against the stone table. "Are you alright?"

Per Manbearcat
The constable rushes back into the room, spear leading, the king obviously no longer over his shoulder. it takes him a single moment to appraise the situation. In goblin he reaffirms what you said "...the king is safe...and they are not our enemy..."

I'll move things forward in a bit. Both of you guys think on it and let me know what you wish to accomplish in this transition period.

As High Constable Ozark brings out to the central atrium, several masons and general laborers converge to clean the king's chambers and to work on sealing the fissures/cracks in the walls and ceilings. This is a common theme throughout the complex as you move about. Your entire group, animals included, is to be given quarters in a common chamber off the central atrium. It is not comfortable and the entirety of the complex is on alert, but there is enough room for you to rest and full provisions will be provided.

Awhile later after he has consulted with the king, as you guys are settling in, High Constable Ozark debriefs you on a few things:

1) King Ornak is conscious, secured, being cared for, grateful to you and fully heeding your words.

2) A sum of 100 gold from the king's treasury will be granted to you for your heroic efforts here. All merchants will be available to barter with come morning (as if you rolled a 10 + on Supply so you'll get a fair price).

More importantly,

3) the king will bring you to the dragon for parley.

and

4) The king will formally sign a contract with you to release the two "refugees as criminals" to your custody upon your return from the Coldlands...for the sum of 50 gold (25 gold apiece).

On the metagame,

You can:

A) Make Camp (and while the threat to the complex is above average, threat to you isn't imminent so you don't need to Take Watch) and Bolster but not Recover. The accomodations are not remotely comfortable and, again, the masons haven't secured the many cracks/fissures/natural vents to the complex. Who knows if more immature aboleths haunt Earthmaw?

B) End of Session

C) Level Up

Beyond that, let me know how you feel about 1 - 4 above, if you have any specific questions and/or responses for the constable (eg you want to converse). Further, you guys can have any conversation or free RP with each other or your minions/hirelings/companions if you'd like.

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Otthor is more than happy to let the king pay us out of his own treasury for releasing the refugees to us :) He can gladly have 50 gold of the 100 that he paid us, so long as the refugees are well-kept and safe here until we return. I'm sure the political capital of making it appear that he is dictating the terms here is helpful to him in dealing with his subjects. I'm perfectly fine with giving him that. We lose nothing. If Saerie disagrees, I'll try to convince her otherwise. We have basically won on all fronts here.

I don't have anything for the constable but I'll be gracious and thank him for the accomodations and for relaying us the good news.

Before I settle in, I'm going to approach Saerie and remove the leather choker with the yellow-stone encrusted silver amulet from my neck. I'll nod to her to lower her head. When she does, I'm going to put put it around her neck and set the clasp to her dimensions. When she looks at it and sees the engraving I'll say "...it means sun. Feel the warmth? It should protect you against this terrible place. But perhaps more important than that, if things go south with the white dragon..." I let my words trail off and give her a foreboding look.

[sblock]From a metagame perspective, I've got means for hit point restoration. I think it would be more sensible for Saerie to wear the "choker of cold protection." Agreed [MENTION=6775039]Binks[/MENTION]?[/sblock]

Once we get an opportunity to settle in, I'm going to have the dog near me after it has eaten its meal. Resting its head on my lap, giving it the comfort and companionship it surely longs for, I'm going to stroke its fur and pat its flank. I will speak to Saerie about our mission here. "The dragon, while a typical ally for the Winter Court, may prove a powerful barrier against the Far Realm threat to this place, and our home by proxy, if we can convince it. I think the bureaucrats of the Summer Court might understand, even if they are not pleased."

Mostly out of curiosity, I'll watch the goblin handler feed the wolves. Then I'll address the two brothers in their native tongue. "We have a difficult and extremely dangerous journey ahead of us. There is no shame in bowing out. Whatever loyalty you may feel you owe us has been repaid by getting us to this place." Whatever their response might be, I will defer to their decision. If they continue with us, I swear to myself that I will show them the virtue of mercy when it is justified.

When everyone is unwinding and settling in for the night's sleep, I'll fill the chamber with pleasing elven song to take the edge off and unfray all of our nerves.

[sblock]My Bolster move for 1 prep.[/sblock]

I'm going to defer to Saerie to spend the 25 coins in the morning. She needs some Ammo and we definitely need rations.

End of Session Move and xp

Bonds -

I resolved my bond with The Art of the Bladesong. I uncovered its mysteries and learned that it is as more blessing or nature than it is nurture. I now know that instruction can only reveal it. It cannot create it.

I resolved my bond with The Weak. While we are dealing with them here out of necessity, I'm under no illusion that the king and his constable are goodly creatures. Ultimately, they are evil, tyrannical, and their justice is anything but. Dictating to them that they will release the vulnerable refugees to us, which is a commodity to them, fills me with satisfaction as I know things are set right.

2 xp

My new bonds in their place will be:

* I will make a powerful ally in this world for the Feywild elves.
* I will show the merits of mercy to our goblin companions.

Alignment - "Endanger yourself to combat an unnatural threat." More than once with three immature aboleth's slain! I'm going to keep this alignment. 1 xp.

* Did we learn something new and important about the world?

Let us see...

...we confirmed that there are refugees alive and secured the release of a few of them. Others are in the Coldlands so there we shall go.

...Aboleth's from the Far Realm are invading this world. Their means for multiplying their numbers involve infecting sentient creatures with some kind of parasitic madness. This then causes them to change into little aboleths.

...Earthmaw was under siege by an invasion of these immature aboleths. They probably have to feed to gain maturity and grow. It is probably the best source of food in all of these highlands.

...While the goblinoid kingdom of Earthmaw is ultimately evil, they can be civilly dealt with and they honor their word.

1 xp

* Did we overcome a notable monster or enemy?

At the very least, that second, advanced aboleth in the king's chamber was certainly notable!

1 xp

* Did we loot a memorable treasure?

The amulet in the boneyard basement of Earthmaw is memorable. It will definitely come in handy in the future.

1 xp

So that is 18 xp total now.

Level Up Move

18 xp

Current level 3 + 7 = 10

18 - 10 = 8 xp and I level up.

I'm going to take the Bladesong Move that you made and I'll move Charisma up 1 to 13. The reason I'm moving Charisma up 1 is because I had my modifier screwed up before. 12 should have been 0 instead of +1. At 13 now, it is + 1 as I had been playing it. Sorry!

After Rest and Level Up but before any supplies changes

Otthor

HP 21/21
AG 1
AM 1
DR 2
XP 8

Attachments

• Otthor-alt.docx
    69.4 KB · Views: 286

Binks

Explorer
* I don't disagree with Otthor regarding giving the king the money for the refugees. I agree. We won.

* I'll let Otthor handle the diplomatic necessaries with the constable. I'll be glad to be out of this place and away from the vile king and his cabinet.

* When Otthor places the amulet around my neck I will take in its warmth, look up and speak to him in elven. "You honor me. Thank you my friend. And thank you for not dying." I say the last in attempt to mitigate my own embarrassment and shame with some levity and laughter. I won't tell him that I will make it up to him. Those words would mean nothing. I will prove it with my actions.

[sblock]I agree with the metagame stuff. Speaking of metagame stuff, make sure you take a look at my new move![/sblock]

* "The dragon, while a typical ally for the Winter Court, may prove a powerful barrier against the Far Realm threat to this place, and our home by proxy, if we can convince it. I think the bureaucrats of the Summer Court might understand, even if they are not pleased."

I'll reply with "I have been long away from the Feywild. Even when I was there, I never dealt directly with the Courts or any nobles. I am a foot soldier and a scout. The outlands, keeping the world safe for elves and man alike...those who will never even know my name, is where I belong. I don't know what the bureaucrats will think. But I suspect the threat here is far more dangerous than they might imagine. If the dragon doesn't see it and ally with us, then the fool doesn't deserve this vast expanse that it claims as its lair. Of that, I am sure we are agreed..."

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, do we agree that powerful aboleths in the large bodies of water here are making the sounds that are transforming the living creatures here into little aboleths?

* I am no singer but I will smile as I drift to sleep, Otthor's pleasant tune in my ears.

* We have 52 coins to spend. In the morning I'll resupply us with the following:

- (25 coins) Adventuring Gear. I'll take 2 uses and Otthor can have 3. That should put us both at 4.
- (2 coins) Bundle of Arrows * 2. That is 6 Ammo. I'll take 4 to fill my quiver and Otthor can have the other 2.
- (24 coins) Dungeon Rations * 8. That is 40 uses total. Weight shouldn't be an issue as we can easily distribute it amongst the party. Otthor takes 5 uses and I'll take the rest and keep track of them.

End of Session

* Bonds

I resolved one of my bonds with Otthor; I worry about the ability of Otthor to relate to the humans of this world. When he valiantly and sternly stood up for the human refugees, flat out telling the king that he was going to release them to us, any concern I had for him relating to them was assuaged.

1 xp

My new bond in its place will be:

I let Otthor down when the crevasse claimed him. I will restore his faith in me.

* Alignment - "Break an unjust law to benefit another." We challenged and overturned the king's decree that beggers become the property of the kingdom. Because of that, the refugees will be released to us. 1 xp.

I'm going to change to "Defeat a Tyrant" for the next part of the game.

* Did we learn something new and important about the world?

C/P from Otthor:

...we confirmed that there are refugees alive and secured the release of a few of them. Others are in the Coldlands so there we shall go.

...Aboleth's from the Far Realm are invading this world. Their means for multiplying their numbers involve infecting sentient creatures with some kind of parasitic madness. This then causes them to change into little aboleths.

...Earthmaw was under siege by an invasion of these immature aboleths. They probably have to feed to gain maturity and grow. It is probably the best source of food in all of these highlands.

...While the goblinoid kingdom of Earthmaw is ultimately evil, they can be civilly dealt with and they honor their word.

1 xp

* Did we overcome a notable monster or enemy?

C/P from Otthor:

At the very least, that second, advanced aboleth in the king's chamber was certainly notable!

1 xp

* Did we loot a memorable treasure?

C/P from Otthor:

The amulet in the boneyard basement of Earthmaw is memorable. It will definitely come in handy in the future.

1 xp

So that is 15 xp total now.

Level Up

15 xp

Current level 3 + 7 = 10

15 - 10 = 5 xp and I level up.

I'm going to take the Elf move Decades of Experience and I'll raise Dex by 1 to 17. I don't suck like Otthor and screw up my stats!

After Rest and Level Up and after supply changes

Saerie

HP 17/21
AG 5
AM 5
DR 36 (I'll keep track of them for everyone but Otthor)
XP 5

Attachments

• Saerie-alt.docx
    59 KB · Views: 284

Alright, all of that looks good.

1) Otthor, the goblin brothers Xanob and Exel formally pledge themselves to you (with some kind of ritual bloodletting and swearing to Kord). You've definitely proven yourself.

[sblock]Goblin Brothers (3)

The goblin brothers, Xanob and Exel, are fierce, armored warriors of Kord. Lead them gloriously into battle and they'll stand between you and the blades, fangs, teeth, and spells that would harm you.

Sentry (Skill 2) - When the goblin brothers stand between you and an attack you increase your armor against that attack by the their Sentry skill, then reduce that skill by 1 until they receive healing or have time to mend.

Intervene - When the goblin brothers help you defy danger you may opt to take +1 from their aid. If you do you cannot get a 10+ result, a 10+ instead counts as a 7–9.

Loyalty: 1

Cost: Glory in Battle[/sblock]

2) You guys get your night's worth of rest for Make Camp.

3) In the morning, you Resupply and you are furnished with new winter cloaks for the long journey ahead.

After the sun has broken the horizon, the king and his company lead your sleds with their own wolf-drawn sleds. It is an hour-long trek northward toward the massive rise of the glacier as it juts skyward in the deepest northlands. The dragon's lair. In the distance, at the base of the blue-white ice, you can see the area of meltwater runnoff that serves as the giant watering hole for this area. You are not accosted by any maddened beasts on the way here and none now. You stop at a grand carved staircase of ice, leading to the leveled top of the glacier...where the dragon presides over its domain.

"The wolves and sleds stay here" says the hobgoblin handler. Your own goblin handler shrinks back but he is clearly relieved that he is to go no further. He shivers involuntarily, likely a vision of the majestic and terrible wyrm coursing through his mind.

The king simply says "...come" and he begins the trek up the massive frozen stair, his guard not accompanying him. Halfway up, he intones "you would do well to have more reverence in your negotiations here than you had with me..."

Upon reaching the top, the first thing you can see is the sheer wall of vertical assent that leads to the Coldlands. The mountains reach skyward at a near 90 degree angle. The day's climb will be so treacherous and simply an impossibility for wolf-drawn sleds to navigate. The wind here is much more intense than it was below. The blue-white expanse reaches out in all direction with boulders, looming towers of ice, and bergs pocking the glacial landscape. So cold. Supernaturally so?

The king kneels: "Great Averandox, Keeper of the Coldlands, Frozen Wind of the North...we humbly beg your greatness for audience..."

A glint of sunlight catches something obscured momentarily by the geographical obstructions. Frozen scales. You literally feel the uncoiling of the thing. You can hear the clingety-clang of its horde as it stretches out. Its massive wingspan beats the air as it rises. Suddenly, a creature of such terrifyingly colossal proportions explodes into the air that when it smashes down to the glacier it sends cracks in all directions where it lands. The air is thick with its immense power as the hairs on the back of your neck come to attention.

[sblock]You guys are both going to need to Defy Danger (Wis)[/sblock]

Standing as a proud horse might, frill prominent, wingspan stretched to its limit, it regards you at Far range. "Since when do mortal kings keep such low company..." are the words...but the sound is the hiss-bass-roar of a raging blizzard...and when they hit you, it is as if you have been dunked in a freezing stream...then dropped in the middle of a snowstorm...naked.

The king stammers..."I, I apologize...they...they have something...something important to say...."

"THEN SPEAK!!!" Ears go numb from the potency of the sound and the voracious bite of the cold.

Last edited:

Tecklenburg

Explorer
Having arranged things with the constable before we left, I speak to my frightened, cowardly little friend in his native goblin tongue. "Abnor, this is where we part ways. At least for now. You will have work and a place in Earthmaw. They have need of good sled teams and you manage your group with high proficiency. When we return from the Coldlands, you are welcome to come with us." I pat his shoulder and follow the king and his contingent up the steps.

The loyal brothers are flanking me one step below on the way up. I'll look back at Xanob and Exel and whisper in goblin, "...stay near me...in case this goes south." When they give me some sign of "affirmative", I'll give them a strong nod, indicating my trust in them.

To Saerie I'll speak openly in elven. "You have stalked or battled every wild beast to ever walk, crawl, swim, slither, or fly at some point. What can you tell me of the disposition of white dragons? Should I be deferential in parley or should I stand my ground here?"

[sblock]Obviously looking for some help by way of your new move, Decades of Experience![/sblock]

I'll await Saerie's reply before I engage the dragon with words. But here is my DD for the Fear effect.

[sblock]I'm going to use my 1 prep from Bolster and the presence, bravery, and loyalty of the goblin brother's strengthens my resolve. I'm using their Intervene ability so + 1 but I can only get a 7-9.

Defy Danger (Wis)
1, 4 + 0 (+ 1 prep) (+ 1 Intervene) = 7.

Success but the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.[/sblock]

Binks

Explorer
To Saerie I'll speak openly in elven. "You have stalked or battled every wild beast to ever walk, crawl, swim, slither, or fly at some point. What can you tell me of the disposition of white dragons? Should I be deferential in parley or should I stand my ground here?"

[sblock]Obviously looking for some help by way of your new move, Decades of Experience![/sblock]

"They are the lion claiming a vast expanse of savannah as their own. They seek only to dominate territory, to bask in the kill and the fealty of the weak. He will not respect you if you grovel before him. He will not fear you if you threaten him. But if you do not back down...if you project strength and convince him that his territory is threatened but not by us...then he may see the value of alliance."

I rub the amulet that Otthor gave me between thumb and forefinger. I speak in Rawr's language to him "I want you to stay glued to Otthor's side. The dragon will more likely heed Otthor's claim with your undeniable presence lurking."

[sblock]To make it clear, I'm hoping Rawr's Ferocious, Huge, Intimidating tags from Ferocity and Frightening tag from Instinct helps Otthor prove our mettle to the dragon.[/sblock]

I pat the dog on its side and mouth in its own language "...stay with me."

When we get to the top, while Rawr lopes up next to Otthor, I'll fan out and lay back, dog by my side. If there are any boulders or structures in the immediate vicinity, I will linger near them for potential cover.

Here is my own DD for the Fear effect.

[sblock]Defy Danger (Wis)
3, 6 + 2 = 11[/sblock]

I rub the amulet that Otthor gave me between thumb and forefinger. I speak in Rawr's language to him "I want you to stay glued to Otthor's side. The dragon will more likely heed Otthor's claim with your undeniable presence lurking."

[sblock]To make it clear, I'm hoping Rawr's Ferocious, Huge, Intimidating tags from Ferocity and Frightening tag from Instinct helps Otthor prove our mettle to the dragon.[/sblock]

Gotcha. Those tags will definitely have an impact on things.

I pat the dog on its side and mouth in its own language "...stay with me."

When we get to the top, while Rawr lopes up next to Otthor, I'll fan out and lay back, dog by my side. If there are any boulders or structures in the immediate vicinity, I will linger near them for potential cover.

Here is my own DD for the Fear effect.

1) The loyal and obedient sheepdog is by your side wherever you go.

2) Like the dog with you, Rawr is right by Otthor's side, looking menacing and looming large (buuuuuuuuut...not so large with respect to the giant wyrm) without even trying to.

3) You can easily find a collection of boulders, tethered together by a beautiful collage of ice. Far range from the dragon. While the extremely bitter cold is a prominent feature of this place, it has very little effect on you.

4) Your body wants to respond to the palpable sense of dread that fills the air, but your mind is far too strong.

I'll await Saerie's reply before I engage the dragon with words. But here is my DD for the Fear effect.

Like Saerie, your heroic mettle is the match of the dragon fear. However, the supernatural cold, especially with a closer proximity to the dragon, has its hand to play. Harsh winds and freezing sleet accompany the dragon. If its voice wasn't born of the grinding strength of the titanic glacier, you wouldn't be able to hear it over the gale. Your elven sword and longknife ice over as you stand in the presence of the beast's elemental might. Removing them from their scabbards will be no small feat!

Remove ads