Doctor Who s8e7 - Kill The Moon

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The physics aside, I think this one looked gorgeous. The lunar terrain looked great, as did the Mexican moon base.

Mallus

Legend
I think this episode's brilliant. Five out of five. An instant classic. The writing, acting, and direction/art direction are all wonderful.

As fiction it's very well & smartly constructed. As science, well, yes, it's nonsense.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The writing, acting, and direction/art direction are all wonderful.

As fiction it's very well & smartly constructed. As science, well, yes, it's nonsense.

I wouldn't go as far as you, but I agree that everything except the science was very good. The lunar landscape, the spiders, the acting - even the little kid was good. The Clara/Doctor confrontation at the end was really interesting.

The Doctor has been becoming more and more of a dick this series, deliberately so on the part of the writers: they don't' want us to like him and I think we've hit the low point of that. Now I'm expecting some change in his attitude.

One exchange I loved near the beginning. Clara tells him that Courtney has been using his psychic paper. The Doctor answers "What for? To get into museums?" That was classic.

Ryujin

Legend
I liked the basic premise of choice. I quite liked the acting in it from all sides, except the kid. As someone with a fairly logical mind and trained in the sciences, the false physics made my brain ache.

Herschel

Adventurer
The "science" was tossable, and I'm okay with that, it's not what the episode was about.

We had maybe the best line ever in Doctor Who 'Tell me what you knew or I'll slap you so hard you'll regenerate!'

This is all about the characters and Clara is getting a lot more spotlight this season, and mostly doing well with it. I could do without the "boyfriend" stuff, but they also want young girls to like it too.

Herschel

Adventurer
The "science" was tossable, and I'm okay with that, it's not what the episode was about.

We had maybe the best line ever in Doctor Who 'Tell me what you knew or I'll slap you so hard you'll regenerate!'

This is all about the characters and Clara is getting a lot more spotlight this season, and mostly doing well with it. I could do without the "boyfriend" stuff, but they also want young girls to like it too.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I like this Doctor. I like him a lot. I wouldn't want to travel with him, but I love watching Capaldi do his thing.

I half expected the moon spiders to be related to the Racnoss, though.

Janx

Hero
While the spider FX was cool, I thought it was lame that they were really bacteria. Giant bacteria should look like giant bacteria. Giant spiders should really be giant spiders. It's like the FX department came up with one idea and the writing department wrote something else, and they just rolled with it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While the spider FX was cool, I thought it was lame that they were really bacteria. Giant bacteria should look like giant bacteria. Giant spiders should really be giant spiders. It's like the FX department came up with one idea and the writing department wrote something else, and they just rolled with it.

I'm going to guess that they had the VFX for giant spiders lying around, and re-purposed it. Standard BBC procedure, like a nod to the old days, really :)

Remove ads