D&D 5E Supplemental books: Why the compulsion to buy and use, but complain about it?

prosfilaes

Adventurer
But what if most of the group wants to try another game like Paranoia instead of their usual D&D? Does the social dynamic mandate that the player who doesn't want to try out another game gets veto over branching out into new games? Should it? I know I'd rather drill a hole in my head than play Vampire but I wouldn't want to stop the rest of the players in the group if they wanted to play it.

These groups aren't going to do that; it's part of the implied social contract that they will play D&D. If you want to try Paranoia or Vampire, that's another night and (at least conceptually) a different group. I think for any such group you simply cannot run anything besides the occasional one-shot that one player would rather drill a hole in their head then play.

How many people play in groups that run long-term campaign after long-term campaign with at least occasional DM shifts? It seems in those groups, the core group stays together, which means the players not being terribly picky and the DMs not being particularly restrictive. A system shift would need careful discussion, and would probably be D&D (family) to D&D (family), or WoD to WoD, not a huge jump.

What would annoy me is not one class or race being banned, but huge swaths of choices being eliminated, and the only thing left to chose from being same-old, same-old. Instead of AD&D 1 classes, AD&D 1 races, I'd actually prefer AD&D 1 classes, and you're all dwarves, because at least then you're making an implicit promise that you're doing something cool with the limitations.

Hussar

Legend
And one of the things that needs to be covered is destroying the geek fallacy that just because someone is running D&D everyone should play together. Sometimes tastes and influences are too divergent. These differences can make individuals inappropriate for playing with certain groups.

Totally agree with this.

Hussar

Legend
It's true that some GMs aren't very good, some outright suck. Some are abusive of their power. But if you're ever in a game in which you can't trust the GM - you shouldn't be playing in that game. Period. It'll just be an exercise in aggravation.

But until you reach that conclusion - is there something wrong with giving the GM the benefit of the doubt? I approach games assuming I can trust the GM until he or she proves otherwise to me. I feel that's appropriate considering the task they are volunteering to take on and the effort it will require.

But, why is the reverse not true? Why should you not give the player the benefit of the doubt. Approach games assuming you can trust the player until he or she proves otherwise. I feel that's appropriate considering that they are volunteering hundreds of hours of their free time.

Hussar

Legend
Weirdly, I don't really like dragonborn but I LOVE lizardfolk. If someone wanted to make a lizardfolk PC who could spit poison, I'd be all over that... and then just use the dragonborn stats.

Damn, I'm fickle.

Shame on you for compromising. Don't you know that you are supposed to tell those players to suck it up and do whatever YOU want?

I did post this before I saw your response, and yes, this is obvious that there is a spectrum to be found here. But, that being said, there is a lot of "My way or the highway" going on in the thread. Compromise should always be the byword.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
But what if most of the group wants to try another game like Paranoia instead of their usual D&D? Does the social dynamic mandate that the player who doesn't want to try out another game gets veto over branching out into new games? Should it? I know I'd rather drill a hole in my head than play Vampire but I wouldn't want to stop the rest of the players in the group if they wanted to play it.

Should it? I don't think so. As I said earlier, when the group wanted to do Planescape, I was perfectly fine with sitting out the campaign. And I really was. The group decided as a group that they would rather play as a group than have me sit out, but, there certainly was no expectation on my part that they should do so. So, here I agree with you.

pemerton

Legend
The difference in positions is really about what happens when the limits are reached - when a topic is hit at which no more compromise is possible.
My view is that there really is no such point. If the group is committed to gaming together - which, as [MENTION=40166]prosfilaes[/MENTION] has emphasised, is a simple fact of the matter for many groups - then compromise will have to be achieved. Much like, if a group is committed to going to the movies together, then compromise will have to be achieved.

If there are individuals who aren't committed to the group, then of course they can just walk. But then, as prosfilaes and [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] have observed, when they walk they might take others with them. If you treat the choice to game as basically a transaction among anonymous games (eg as might be the case at a convention or in a club), with no overriding obligations of participation in a collective endeavour, then you have no basis for complaining about "player revolts" or similar activities.

this is the sort of discussions that should be going on around every gaming table.

<snip>

I look at threads like this and wonder why these sorts of issues aren't being discussed in rule books. We spend thirty pages detailing different ways of sticking a sword in someone, but, we won't spend a page or three on making the game work for everyone at the table? That's some messed up priorities right there. The players handbook should be about 30% this sort of thread - how to start a group and keep that group happy.

It's fantastic advice that isn't given nearly often enough.
I agree. That is why, in this thread and some other recent threads, I've said that the DMG (pehaps also the PHB) should talk about different sorts of approaches to the game, and the way different techniques, in the hands of players and even more so GMs, can support or undermine those different sorts of approaches.

I am one who believes that you need to trust your DM
if you're ever in a game in which you can't trust the GM - you shouldn't be playing in that game. Period. It'll just be an exercise in aggravation.
I am overwhelmingly a GM, and have been for 30-odd years. And I don't really understand these remarks about "trust". What are my players expected to trust me to do? Not be a nasty person? I mean, that's pretty basic in human relationships and has nothing to do with RPGing.

But once we get into particular aspects that are relevant to RPGing, what should my players trust me to do? To run scenarios that interweave the PC backgrounds and player priorities in roughly equal measure? Well, that is important if I'm GMing Burning Wheel, and it's a big part of how I like to GM my 4e game, but it woud be irrelevant if I was running an AD&D module-of-the-week game.

Should my players be trusting me to take them along for an awesome ride? That seems pretty important to some of the posters in this thread, but is basically irrelevant to how I run my game, and if my players came along expecting that - and expecting the corollary, that most of the energy for the game will come from me rather than them - then they would be dissapointed!

Should my players trust me to run scenarios where player skill is not relevant to outcomes? Absolutely not, which means that my games may not suit [MENTION=67338]GMforPowergamers[/MENTION]. Should my players trust me not to run scenarios in which the outcome will depend upon interrogating barkeeps about the ingredients of otherwise non-suspicious soup? Absolutely they should - I personally could hardly think of a more puerile plot device if I tried.

In other words, what players should be trusting GMs to do, and vice versa, is utterly dependent on what sort of play experience the game participants are hoping to generate. Talking honestly about the possible varieties of these, and how roles and responsibilities can be allocated to help achieve them, should be the number one priority.

If the DM doesn't explain why only certain classes and races are allowed, he's doing himself a disservice.

<snip>

the PCs aren't going to understand the setting, and neither they nor the DM are really going to enjoy themselves. The DM should try his best to make sure the players actually understand his campaign idea.

Being as open as possible about the intended scope and theme of the game and the setting from the very beginning will really help your players get into character.

Being a good DM takes a lot of work, even outside of the normal play hours. A player can just show up and wing it so I do think it is fair to let DMs dictate the direction of the game, but of course they should always be open to suggestions.
I don't disagree with any of this - but I think it is another illustration that there are different approaches to the game.

In the sort of game I prefer to run, I want the players to help establish the scope and theme of the game, and I don't want them to just turn up and wing it. Part of getting to where I want to get to in RPGing means recognising that sole GM authority over setting and backstory isn't going to work.

A good DMG would talk about the things [MENTION=6778458]bleezy[/MENTION] has mentioned, and the things I've just mentioned, in the context of talking about different approaches to RPGing.

This thread has made me discouraged about our hobby.
The only thing that discouraged me was that someone, somewhere, thought that the soup scenario was worth publishing!

Should it? I don't think so. As I said earlier, when the group wanted to do Planescape, I was perfectly fine with sitting out the campaign. And I really was. The group decided as a group that they would rather play as a group than have me sit out, but, there certainly was no expectation on my part that they should do so. So, here I agree with you.

I'll take you at your word here - but have you never met someone who passive-aggressively says "no, really, I'm fine, play without me" as a way of getting the group to do what they want instead? I think that's what other people are questioning.

Elf Witch

First Post
but again, that is the crux of the argument we are having, I agree with the player that out of game should not be brought in game most of the time. That means that you need to be spesfic. Yes if the DM said "Hey we are going into the boxing ring to resolve fights, and I played I couldn't complain... but I doubt the DM said that up front. You claim the player should know up front the mystry is out of game, how should he know going in?

I've very rarely seen in my 20 years gameing (man im getting old) anyone yell over something like this, and only once where that someone was me. SO I agree.

well because the same reason why telling someone who just said "So I shoveled my driveway" that they should have "shoveled there drive way"
funny... that is someo of our points... let me make a note of that:
Compromise is at the heart of every human relationship.
you know what relationship needs compromise... DM/Player...

you could tone down your play style and he or she theres... meet in the middle somewhere

I will admit I would rather play golf, but even that I wouldn't have that much fun with.

you know it almost seems like you are argueing my point now...

relationships should be give and take and that includes gaming groups too. .

another issue of us being so different. 4e was the most fun edition any of my group ever played... and we felt it could have been balanced BETTER... and yea it has it's flaws, but damn to call it unfun seems strange to me.

the funny part is I agree, give the DM the power to balance the game for his table because he knows his table better than the designers of the game. I would just add give them everytool to make it eaisr to do. (I think 4e was great at that and hope 5e would be too)

you don't have to tell him the answer, just think about every clue the party is supposed to find... and if they find it on there own great, if not let them roll to see if there characters see what they don't

I really don't get that thought at all... shouldn't it be if the character solves the mystery?

yes, except your way doesn't sound like anyone I know would enjoy it...

ok, but are you sure you are hiding it well, are you sure other players are also trying to hide it??

true... you have to ban every spellcaster from core and replace them

nope... it is WAY eaiser to break core. You have less things to go through. If you give me 25 books to mix and match to break, or 1 book to mix and match to break, the 1 book is way less work (aka easier)

yes I noticed

yet you feel so strongly as to argue it for hours on line... if it never came up what is your argument?

I am not going to speculate on what the DM told his players since I was not there. Maybe he did maybe he didn't. But it was not just an issue in one game it said it was in several different campaigns. So there some level of miscommunication is going on. If I hate mysteries it as bad as this player seems to I would have spoken up and asked about in a new campaign. Also if I was DMing this guy I would tell him upfront that this is going to be aprt of the game. Like I said there seems to be a break down of communication at that table.

I said compromise is the goal and I have also said that sometimes you can't compromise and when that happens both sides needs to decide how to go forward. As a DM I am willing to work with my players up to a certain point but I am not interested in having gunpowder in most of my fantasy games, I don't have a shred of desire to DM an evil campaign or one where the PCs only care about looting and nothing else. So if that is deal breaker for a player I get it because it is a deal breaker to me. As a player if a DM says I am going to run a huge dungeon crawl game I know there is no compromise so I am going to say have fun and sit that game out.

I have never once said that give and take is a bad thing. What I have said is that if the player or DM can't find a way to make it works that works for both of them then there is nothing wrong with them not playing together. I even gave an example of how a player worked with me to allow a warlock into the game but not by trying to make me change the world but my fitting the concept into my world. That is give and take I gave her a magic item to help her with the concept.

Don't be pedantic I am the character and I tend to build intelligent PCs who like to use their brain more than their brawn. Like I said I enjoy mysteries and it would ruin my fun if another player who hated them wouldn't give me a chance to solve them. RPGs are a collaborative game and that means everyone should have a chance to have fun at he table. I know players who love tactics and strategy and like to talk out a plan in great detail. I admit this bores me after awhile but I don't have my PC wander off and start trouble to get things moving. I will politely say something if it is dragging on and on. Just like I would expect if I couldn't solve a mystery in a reasonable amount of time for the other players to say something.

It may seem strange for me to call it unfun but it was and not just me no one in my group enjoyed it. That is not a judgement on the edition or anyone who enjoyed it. People have different styles of gaming and what is fun for one is is torture for another.

Neither of us know every player out there I know plenty of people who enjoy the things I do and I know some who don't it doesn't make it a wrong way to play.

Elf Witch

First Post
except for the part where I never said such... the closest was a comment I made about there being a ratio (I think I said 60/40 or 70/30 I really don't remember) where yes is the right answer... more often then not letting the player play what he wants is the better answer... always... HELL NO...

the problem is that there is a give and take that gets so skiped over... lets look back...

one poster said no dragonborn ever... they could not imagine a world where they would run a PC dragonborn.
another poster said no warlocks ever...

notice there wasn't in either case a "Well one of my worlds is x but maybe the next one" and in neither case could the even imagine a player might have an idea worth listening to. It wasn't at the end the DM had to make a call, it was the DM went into the discussion with no comprmise.

now we have a conversation about weaither or not it is ok to use in game skills instead of out of game skills,

I don't see much comprmise at all. Hell I even was told running a warlock was harder on the DM then a cleric... for ?reasons?

my problem is that time and time again there is some excuse "Hey some splat book somewhere is broken" or "It didn't fit my game" and when those are addressed, people pretend it is horrable.

If the DM doesn't explain why only certain classes and races are allowed, he's doing himself a disservice. If he doesn't say "I don't want any Dragonborn/Tiefling/Halforc/Monk/whatever because my campaign is based on Arabian/Norse/Sumerian/Celtic myth or Tolkien or Vance or Howard or GRR Martin" or whatever your pleasure might be, then the PCs aren't going to understand the setting, and neither they nor the DM are really going to enjoy themselves. The DM should try his best to make sure the players actually understand his campaign idea.

Being as open as possible about the intended scope and theme of the game and the setting from the very beginning will really help your players get into character.

Being a good DM takes a lot of work, even outside of the normal play hours. A player can just show up and wing it so I do think it is fair to let DMs dictate the direction of the game, but of course they should always be open to suggestions.

But, why is the reverse not true? Why should you not give the player the benefit of the doubt. Approach games assuming you can trust the player until he or she proves otherwise. I feel that's appropriate considering that they are volunteering hundreds of hours of their free time.

I am the one who brought up warlock and what I said was that in my campaign world of Vanderhelm I discourage warlocks because of the difficulty they face. The only banned races were dwarves and tieflings. And that was just for this campaign. I don't think there is anything wrong with that to make certain things campaign specific. When I run Kingdoms of Kalamar my favorite published setting I don't allow in races from Dragonlance or any other published setting. I also limit the amount of splatbooks you can chose freely from any of the books designed for Kalamar but anything else is a case by case basis.

Bleezy bingo it is important for a DM to let their players know what they want to run and why certain things may be banned. In my Vanderhelm campaign dawn elves can't do magic. I was asked why and I said there is a big game reason why not and if you play a dawn elf I will tell you but they have hidden the reason from the other races. I had a reason for everything I did and the players were fine with my restrictions.

One thing that annoys me as a player is the bait and switch a DM says one thing and you build a PC for that and then they change the campaign on you. I had that happen in an Eberron game the DM said he was going to run a game set in the refuge camps for the refuges from Cyre so I made a PC a ranger that was heading for the prestige class cyrean avenger my favored enemy was elves. Less than four weeks into the game he changed the location and focus of the game after awhile I got frustrated and asked if I could being in a different PC more suited to the direction of the campaign and he was not pleased. We went back and forth and he finally relented and I made a dragon marked bard.

Hussar I don't think many of are saying not to trust players not unless you know that in certain things they can't be trusted. Look I have several powergamers in my group one I trust totally so I feel pretty safe saying yes most of the time. The other two I don't trust as much because I have had experience with some of their very broken combos. So I say let me look at it and I do look at it and I talk to my son since he is a huge powergamer and if it is too overpowered I go into that conversation armed with ideas on how to let them have some of it but not the parts that I think are going to be an issue.

We used to have a player who would cheat on his dice rolls other than that that he was a fun guy to play with so we just made a rule everyone but the DM rolls on the table and they don't pick up their dice until the DM sees it.

Most of the people I DM for I trust and when they ask of they can play something I would rather they didn't I don't assume it is because they don't care how it effects my world. And 99% of the time we can work it out.

Remove ads