D&D (2024) I'm a longtime player and there really is only one thing that will stop me from switching to 5.X

For context, I have been a DnD player since 1e of ADnD, back around 1982 or so by my best guess. I am a DM at heart and I buy a good deal of books overall. I have switched with every edition of ADnD into DnD, including the .5 style material. each time a new edition or demi-edition has come out, I have switched. The closest I have come to not doing this was 4e, but even that I played for the entirety of its publishing life.

None of the above is to brag, as it seems a rather silly thing to brag about. It is for context. I am a highly invested, high commitment DnD gamer and my purchase history reflects that. I have only mildly been following proposed rules changes in the playtest materials because, given my personal history, I'm expecting to switch to 5.X when it drops, cycling out 5e material as it gets superseded, just as I did with 3e to 3.5 for example.

All that said, there is one thing that will force my hand to not follow through, and that is radically changing how I interact with the game economically. for me, online tools and resources are a supplement, a tool which aids in my tabletop experience. But I want physical books. I want to make one time purchases and have a resource on my bookshelf. For its many crimes, the true failing for me with 4e was the constant rules updates and errata, the constant tinkering, that made my books inaccurate. If 5.x were to move to a digital first priority, I am going to be turned off. If it moves to a model where I pay a subscription to play as a given, rather than as ais, I am out.

What about you? Ignore rules. Ignore setting. Where is your line on DnD as a product that you pay for where you would walk away? For example, I know that one of the things that drove some away with 4e was that the emphasis on using minis was an additional expense that made people not make the jump.

What about you? Ignore rules. Ignore setting. Where is your line on DnD as a product that you pay for where you would walk away?

My DM.

No matter what's in the books, no matter my opinions about classes or races or settings, at the end of the day the important thing is that I have a game going that's been meeting regularly for a couple years. If the DM in that game wants to move to the next edition, then that's what I'll do to keep playing. If he wants to stay with 5e, I'll stay with 5e.

aco175

Legend
My group converts over and likely will buy the new books, or at least the PHB. Not sure on the MM or DMG since I seem to be finding most of those things online and tend to have everything I need at the table printed off with the statblocks in the module or items printed on cards or in my module notes.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What about you? Ignore rules. Ignore setting. Where is your line on DnD as a product that you pay for where you would walk away? For example, I know that one of the things that drove some away with 4e was that the emphasis on using minis was an additional expense that made people not make the jump.
Lack of digital platform support. If I can't play it on Roll20 or Foundry, it won't get adopted by my group. Also, full 5E compatibility: my group has informed me on no uncertain terms, that they will not be changing game systems.

Rules-wise? Damage-on-a-miss, because it breaks my immersion so badly. I'd rather play something else than try to shoehorn this in.

dave2008

Legend
I can't think of any one thing that would make we drop D&D. I mean no of the editions are exactly what we want, but me modify them to work for us. However, I do have a few comments:
If 5.x were to move to a digital first priority, I am going to be turned off. If it moves to a model where I pay a subscription to play as a given, rather than as ais, I am out.
I don't know if 5e will every go digital first priority, but for the near future (next 10 years) it will definitely be primarily available through physical books.
I know that one of the things that drove some away with 4e was that the emphasis on using minis was an additional expense that made people not make the jump.
Interesting. 75% of the time we played 5e without minis or at least no battle mat. One of our most epic adventures (level 30) was all TotM.

Remove ads