N.E.W. Playtest Feedback - Prison Planet - System Notes - Session 1

Tashtego

Explorer
We've started our 'Prison Planet' mini-campaign to test N.E.W, and to give us a mental break before we finish up our high level 4E D&D campaign.

A short session write-up is here.

Below is the feedback I have from the character creation and short first session.

GM comments:
It was hard to build an encounter. I didn't know how the level of the enemies related to the PCs. Given the sub-systems for spaceships and so forth, I feel an encounter system is appropriate.

Does REP, LUC and TECH start at 0 or 2? What about credits? Shouldn't all of these scores be at the grid at the top of the character sheet?

Also the grid at the top of the sheet is in the wrong order from the character building grid at the bottom.

For countdowns, is the dicepool made up of the attribute score, or the attribute dice? If dice, the countdown won't last for very long.

Comments from Various Players

GENERAL SYSTEM

Many features make it seem designed for more competent characters. Beginning characters are going to have most rolls at 2 or 3 dice, so a difficulty of 10 and taking dice away for exploits make it extremely hard to do anything. If it is designed for more competent characters, make starting characters more competent.

GENERAL CHARACTER GENERATION
Is the system supposed to be generic or not? The rules and careers imply a setting, rather than something generic.

Some exploits are too specific, eg. persuasive only affects buying things

Player T notes "Are we actually expected to build characters with this "random chance" stuff or is it just optional? Early D&D was much-maligned for suggesting this. Sure it's fun and can be interesting, but sometimes you want to make a specific character and it gets in the way, because most of them do have a significant impact on the build. When making the builds I pretty much ignored any size changes (from rolling very high/low on weight/height mod) simply because it seemed a bit too powerbuildy to choose one, and instead I selected from within the same-size range. Might be better if special size was selectable as some kind of exploit or point spend."

Career system incompatible with a generic game, as characters far too narrow and too few choices for the wide array of possible settings. Need a defined setting or more flexible system.

Careers very restrictive in requirements and abilities, must take 'empty level' careers, get feats that don't suit character, etc. This forces players to choose between taking careers they want and minmaxing for the skills they want by taking weird careers choices (“I wanted to be a cop, but I became an assassin so I could shoot properly”). Also results in cookie-cutter behaviour - all people with career X use exploit Y because they all get that exploit.

Very few sci-fi careers, they seem mostly generic modern-day. No careers for common sci-fi characters such as astronaut, colonist, corporate, cyborg, genetically engineered, hacker, security officer, mercenary, explorer, AI, other types of robot, uplift, activist, techie, mecha pilot.

Players wanted a skill tree diagram.

Missing career – band member.

Assassin in military rather than criminal.

A lot of focus on military careers, others do not have detail. Many careers fairly similar.

Military careers are more flexible - more than one way to get the same career.

Player M asks "WTF is a space jockey? do they ride space horses?"

ALIENS
Aliens are stereotypical and similar to humans - they even get the same age categories.

EXPLOITS
The LOG attribute exploits actually refer to INT.

Attribute exploits for Log all rely on having a decent Int, making them useless for certain builds that have good Log but no Int boosts (and most of the Log careers don't increase Int)

The CHA universal exploits are too high to apply to be accessible beginning characters. The players suggested a range of low stat exploits

The exploits only seem to relate to combat.

Not enough exploits to suit social characters; the exploits were mainly used for combat.

SKILLS
Skills are confusing - what do they actually do? Many are self-explanatory, but why is "Carousing" a specific non-hobby skill? The skills section opens with saying the list is open-ended, but since your starting skills have a set list it would be helpful to at least explain what some of them are used for in that chapter (some skills are explained better later on, but it's difficult to reference them).

AMBUSH TURNS
Which attribute is used to calculate ambush turns? It just says "an attribute check". So, any one is fine? Or Agility only? Intuition?

INITIATIVE
Player T notes: "How do you calculate initiative? It says in Combat it's a straight Intuition check (presumably with +1d6 for Tactics, unlike derived stats) but if you look at the sample character sheets some have Initiative of 5d6 despite Intuition dice pools of 3d6. Conflicting information. Luck/Rep dice pools are also in conflict here, I left them uncalculated in my builds."

CLIMBING SPEED

Climbing speed can be raised to equal Speed by taking the Nimble exploit - is the Climbing skill's effective +1 to Agi overwritten by this, or applied after?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It was hard to build an encounter. I didn't know how the level of the enemies related to the PCs. Given the sub-systems for spaceships and so forth, I feel an encounter system is appropriate.

I've simply been adding XP so far and roughly matching XP totals (you can work out PC XP value in the same way) but I do intend to include an easier method.

Does REP, LUC and TECH start at 0 or 2? What about credits? Shouldn't all of these scores be at the grid at the top of the character sheet?

I guess they could - I hope we'll see varied character sheet designs later.

For countdowns, is the dicepool made up of the attribute score, or the attribute dice? If dice, the countdown won't last for very long.

The pool can be made up from anything the GM decides - an attribute score, a distance, simply a random number. I included expected #rounds different sized pools would last as a guide to help the GM allocate that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback! Just following up on the player comments. You mention "not enough careers" in a whole bunch of different ways, so I'm getting that that was important to you guys. Don't worry, that's coming - it's just that the "system" stuff is the focus at present. Adding careers and stuff is the easy part! :)

I'll try to hit each point briefly, so apologies for any seeming brevity.

Many features make it seem designed for more competent characters. Beginning characters are going to have most rolls at 2 or 3 dice, so a difficulty of 10 and taking dice away for exploits make it extremely hard to do anything. If it is designed for more competent characters, make starting characters more competent.

10 is an average roll on 3d6. So if you're not trying to do something wacky (i.e. use an exploit or something) you have a 50/50 chance with 3d6. Using an exploit is deliberately making things more difficult for yourself in order to accomplish something specific. Starting characters may need to pull in die bonuses from elsewhere at times to accomplish them.

Is the system supposed to be generic or not? The rules and careers imply a setting, rather than something generic.

It is, although so far the careers etc. are certainly more Trek/Wars. That's definitely just an "adding more stuff" thing rather than a system thing, so it's kinda low priority.

Player T notes "Are we actually expected to build characters with this "random chance" stuff or is it just optional? Early D&D was much-maligned for suggesting this. Sure it's fun and can be interesting, but sometimes you want to make a specific character and it gets in the way, because most of them do have a significant impact on the build. When making the builds I pretty much ignored any size changes (from rolling very high/low on weight/height mod) simply because it seemed a bit too powerbuildy to choose one, and instead I selected from within the same-size range. Might be better if special size was selectable as some kind of exploit or point spend."

It says "choose or roll". :)

Career system incompatible with a generic game, as characters far too narrow and too few choices for the wide array of possible settings. Need a defined setting or more flexible system.

Mentioned above.

Very few sci-fi careers, they seem mostly generic modern-day. No careers for common sci-fi characters such as astronaut, colonist, corporate, cyborg, genetically engineered, hacker, security officer, mercenary, explorer, AI, other types of robot, uplift, activist, techie, mecha pilot.

Again, mentioned above.

How do you mean?

Missing career – band member.

Again, mentioned above. Though that's really "Musician".

Player M asks "WTF is a space jockey? do they ride space horses?"

A generic astronaut/crewman type.

Aliens are stereotypical and similar to humans - they even get the same age categories.

I did that deliberately in the core rules. Simple, archetypal alien types folks will be familiar with. That leaves design space to do weird and wacky stuff with settings and the like, while providing an easy intro point. Anyone who has seen any sci-fi should find those aliens easy to play, and there are tools for making more exotic ones.

The LOG attribute exploits actually refer to INT.

Attribute exploits for Log all rely on having a decent Int, making them useless for certain builds that have good Log but no Int boosts (and most of the Log careers don't increase Int)

Ah. That sounds like an error. INT used to mean INTELLECT. It got split into INTUITION and LOGIC. It sounds like some of the old INTELLECT references didn't get changed to LOGIC (and are now being confused with INTUITION). Thanks for spotting tha1

The exploits only seem to relate to combat.

Not enough exploits to suit social characters; the exploits were mainly used for combat.

Kinda addressed above, but the "adding more stuff" aspect is lower priority than the general "system" stuff - but more stuff of all types (exploits, equipment, careers, monster, ships, etc.) will be added.

Skills are confusing - what do they actually do? Many are self-explanatory, but why is "Carousing" a specific non-hobby skill? The skills section opens with saying the list is open-ended, but since your starting skills have a set list it would be helpful to at least explain what some of them are used for in that chapter (some skills are explained better later on, but it's difficult to reference them).

They're essentially keywords. The idea is to not define them precisely - they don't do anything on their own, like a D&D skill does; they just add to an attribute check if the GM agrees it's relevant. I'm thinking of changing their name to something other than skills.

Which attribute is used to calculate ambush turns? It just says "an attribute check". So, any one is fine? Or Agility only? Intuition?

Anything the GM agrees to. Usually that'll be hiding with AGI or maybe bluffing with CHA or so on, but anything situationally appropriate is allowed. The player tell the GM what they're doing, the GM calls for whatever attribute checks he/she feels appropriate.

Player T notes: "How do you calculate initiative? It says in Combat it's a straight Intuition check (presumably with +1d6 for Tactics, unlike derived stats) but if you look at the sample character sheets some have Initiative of 5d6 despite Intuition dice pools of 3d6. Conflicting information. Luck/Rep dice pools are also in conflict here, I left them uncalculated in my builds."

It's INT with tactics bonus, yes. I'll double check the Initiative scores of the sample characters - some of them have career exploits etc. which add to Initiative, but there might be some errors.

What's the issue with LUC/REP (though I notice they're reversed on Gorrat's sheet).

Climbing speed can be raised to equal Speed by taking the Nimble exploit - is the Climbing skill's effective +1 to Agi overwritten by this, or applied after?

As written, it's overwritten. I could be convinced either way, though.

Last edited:

Tashtego

Explorer
Thanks for getting back to me. I've just got some more clarifications to your responses!

Does REP, LUC and TECH start at 0 or 2?

The pool can be made up from anything the GM decides - an attribute score, a distance, simply a random number. I included expected #rounds different sized pools would last as a guide to help the GM allocate that.

Can you tighten this up in the next draft and include more examples? I know you want to keep it open for GM decisions, but I didn't find enough information in the Countdown/Contests to help me make this decision, and clearly figure out what to build countdown pools from.

10 is an average roll on 3d6. So if you're not trying to do something wacky (i.e. use an exploit or something) you have a 50/50 chance with 3d6. Using an exploit is deliberately making things more difficult for yourself in order to accomplish something specific. Starting characters may need to pull in die bonuses from elsewhere at times to accomplish them.

On page 123 says that the average player will have 4 to 5d6s in their dicepools, but most of our PCs low dicepools were 2-3d6.

Q: Which attribute is used to calculate ambush turns? It just says "an attribute check". So, any one is fine? Or Agility only? Intuition?

A: Anything the GM agrees to. Usually that'll be hiding with AGI or maybe bluffing with CHA or so on, but anything situationally appropriate is allowed. The player tell the GM what they're doing, the GM calls for whatever attribute checks he/she feels appropriate.

I would suggest clarifying this with a table of attributes and examples of amush turns, to help the GM make an informed decision.

Just to clarify, this was a career tree diagram. A little organisation chart of how the careers link up, showing prequesites in graphical format.

I think that's it for now; I'll let know if there are any comment based on how the next game goes.

Remove ads