DMG Preview 4: Artifacts!

Paraxis

Explorer
Would you say the same about the classes in the Player's Handbook? Or the system as a whole? Or the monsters in the Monster Manual? Everything about this edition of Dungeons and Dragons is about hearkening back to the original D&D. Remember, that edition came out 40 years ago. The vast majority of people that will play this will have never played that edition before. Saying that it doesn't seem to have taken much work to make this book is very insulting to the people who have spent several years writing and designing it.

They should feel insulted, it is as if most of the magic items are copy pasted out of previous dungeon master guides. I feel insulted they expect us to pay them for the same stuff we have already paid for.

The monster manual sadly was much of the same, very few new abilities or modern game design thinking went into it. Mostly just sacks of h.p that claw/claw/bite.

The players handbook is the core of the new edition, and is mostly good. There were some lazy bits like the weapon and armor list, but for the most part it is a very good book and the reason I run 2 games and play in another 2.

They should feel insulted, it is as if most of the magic items are copy pasted out of previous dungeon master guides. I feel insulted they expect us to pay them for the same stuff we have already paid for.

The monster manual sadly was much of the same, very few new abilities or modern game design thinking went into it. Mostly just sacks of h.p that claw/claw/bite.

The players handbook is the core of the new edition, and is mostly good. There were some lazy bits like the weapon and armor list, but for the most part it is a very good book and the reason I run 2 games and play in another 2.

This is a classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they had admitted these artifacts or changed them significantly, they would have been raked over the coals for straying too far from the original. Just look at how hard 4e got hit in the gaming world for doing this. But now, when they try to appease people, they get told that they're lazy and copy pasting. I don't understand this thought process. If you really think it's that similar, why don't you just use your old book and forgo purchasing this one?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I am disappointed that so much of the preview material seems just so ever slightly altered versions of the stuff in the 1e DMG.

Why? Surely the whole point of a 5e DMG is that it's an updated version of the 1e DMG. Why wouldn't they have material from the first edition?

Paraxis

Explorer
Why? Surely the whole point of a 5e DMG is that it's an updated version of the 1e DMG. Why wouldn't they have material from the first edition?

Same material sure, 3e had magic rings, so did 4e, but both of those editions added things to them tweaked them in some way. You had information on crafting them, different recharge mechanics, stuff that made you look at it and know it came from that edition of D&D. Most of the stuff in the previews you can find in any OSR clone or the 1e DMG.

the Jester

Legend
This is a classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they had admitted these artifacts or changed them significantly, they would have been raked over the coals for straying too far from the original. Just look at how hard 4e got hit in the gaming world for doing this. But now, when they try to appease people, they get told that they're lazy and copy pasting. I don't understand this thought process. If you really think it's that similar, why don't you just use your old book and forgo purchasing this one?

Haters gonna hate.

Remathilis

Legend
Same material sure, 3e had magic rings, so did 4e, but both of those editions added things to them tweaked them in some way. You had information on crafting them, different recharge mechanics, stuff that made you look at it and know it came from that edition of D&D. Most of the stuff in the previews you can find in any OSR clone or the 1e DMG.

You see "bug". I see "feature."

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases