DMG Preview 4: Artifacts!

I'm not super fond of the art for the dragonorb. It looks more-knick-knack and less crystal-ball.

I'm not super fond of the art for the dragonorb. It looks more-knick-knack and less crystal-ball.

I love everything I've seen about the DMG so far, except the pictures. It really does seem like a huge waste of space. Art is cool, but a picture of every magic item? Imagine if the PHB had a picture of every spell.

But overall, I'm very excited.

Uh, if they didn't have the pictures, the book would simply be smaller. The pictures aren't forcing out more content.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The artifacts seem fine, very retro (1e) feel as has been stated.

Honestly though, I was hoping they'd go the 4e route with the artifacts. I really liked the mechanic of the artifact getting more (or less) powerful depending on how "in tune" it was with the character using it (The 4e Eye of Vecna would literally rip itself out and find someone else if the user strayed too far from its goals!).

Edit: Also, the flat 5% of the eye wielder's soul being devoured (if spells are used) make little sense. If the wielder is using the spells perfectly in line with Vecna's interest there should be no problem. If the wielder uses the spells in some way contrary to Vecna's interest (as determined by the eye itself since it's sentient) then there should be a problem - which could easily represented by a saving throw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paraxis

Explorer
Uh, if they didn't have the pictures, the book would simply be smaller. The pictures aren't forcing out more content.

Sure it is. They have 320 pages to use, if they cut out some of the art work they could add in more text simple. It is not like they don't have huge amounts of information from other DMG's and DMG 2's or Unearthed Arcana's they could adapt to 5e and put in the book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They should feel insulted, it is as if most of the magic items are copy pasted out of previous dungeon master guides. I feel insulted they expect us to pay them for the same stuff we have already paid for.

I am disappointed that so much of the preview material seems just so ever slightly altered versions of the stuff in the 1e DMG. It didn't take much work at all to make this book it seems, also the large ugly pieces of art that are just acting as filler distracts from it as well.

Sure it is. They have 320 pages to use, if they cut out some of the art work they could add in more text simple.

Dude, we get it. You don't like that the game is based on old material; you don't like the art; you think there's too much art; you feel insulted by what WotC is trying to sell you.

It's OK. I promise you that you don't have to buy it. But give it a rest, eh? Some of us like this stuff.

Sure it is. They have 320 pages to use, if they cut out some of the art work they could add in more text simple. It is not like they don't have huge amounts of information from other DMG's and DMG 2's or Unearthed Arcana's they could adapt to 5e and put in the book.

If you really think that's true, you clearly think very little of the development process. Here's a tip: the art departments and the writing departments are typically separate. The writers put in all of their material, the art department puts in their material, and the layout editor puts it all together. Translating between editions is not nearly as easy as you seem to think it is, and it's becoming obvious that you simply hold the developers in great disdain for all of this. There is simply no point in coming into every thread and complaining multiple times on the same topic. We understand you don't like it. A lot of people do. Whats the point in trying to ruin that for people?

fuindordm

Adventurer
The artifacts seem fine, very retro (1e) feel as has been stated.
Edit: Also, the flat 5% of the eye wielder's soul being devoured (if spells are used) make little sense. If the wielder is using the spells perfectly in line with Vecna's interest there should be no problem. If the wielder uses the spells in some way contrary to Vecna's interest (as determined by the eye itself since it's sentient) then there should be a problem - which could easily represented by a saving throw.

I understand your perspective, and of course the whole point of artifacts like this is so that you can connect the PCs to a larger story, in the way you want. I would probably run it similarly; the player might get visions offering clues to what Vecna wants accomplished.

I think as a player I would enjoy the dynamic created by the flat probability, though. How can I know whether my actions are in line with Vecna's desires? Maybe I think I'm spreading evil but really I'm interfering with one of his more subtle plots. And from a gamist perspective, every time I use the Eye I risk my life. Am I never going to use it? Not likely. But every time the chips are down, and I'm tempted to use the Eye, the game has created an edge-of-the-seat moment. It's not everyone's cup of tea, obviously, but it is in line with a "let the dice fall where they may" attitude toward gaming, where getting a PC to high level takes luck as well as skill, and is not guaranteed. That's the kind of game I prefer as a player.

Of course, as a player I would never attune the Eye. But hey, what if some evil cultists kidnapped my PC and implanted it by force? Then I'm stuck with it.

As I DM, however, I would never introduce the Eye without also giving the players a way to learn that the 5% risk exists.

Paraxis

Explorer
If you really think that's true, you clearly think very little of the development process. Here's a tip: the art departments and the writing departments are typically separate. The writers put in all of their material, the art department puts in their material, and the layout editor puts it all together. Translating between editions is not nearly as easy as you seem to think it is, and it's becoming obvious that you simply hold the developers in great disdain for all of this. There is simply no point in coming into every thread and complaining multiple times on the same topic. We understand you don't like it. A lot of people do. Whats the point in trying to ruin that for people?

First and foremost I don't go into every thread complaining about the same topic. I make a critique or observation that is negative about something I don't like, but the overall game is good or I would not run it and play it.

The point is to be honest, some things are not perfect. If all people do is hear positive feedback they won't know what they did wrong. It seems sometimes any criticism is seen as pure unthinking hatred, when it is exactly the opposite. If I didn't enjoy the game I wouldn't care.

Remove ads

Remove ads