Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There’s an Israeli cheese called akkawi that is somewhat like a stronger tasting, firmer mozzarella. I got introduced to it in several middle eastern restaurants as an appetizer: melted on pita, like a tiny cheese pizza. A Lebanese waiter hipped me to drizzling it with honey. Flavor explosion!

That, in turn, led me to putting mayhaw jelly on a cracker with brie- a very similar experience.
IMG_9150_zps206eayv1.jpg

And I was hipped to topping apple slices with cinnamon and American cheese waaaay back in 2nd grade...and eat it still.

So I’m no stranger to pairing cheeses with sweet ingredients. Or even sweet & savory in general.

But cheese with peanut butter? Color me still skeptical.

Zhon

First Post
This thread is outstanding. I don't know how "unusual" this is, but I used to put a bunch of lettuce between two pieces of toast and cover it with lemon pepper. Strangely delicious. Does that even count as a sandwich? It's literally a lettuce sandwich.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds like a sandwich to me! (And probably pretty tasty. And refreshing.)

What kind of bread do you typically choose? Ever experiment?

I could see doing something like that myself...maybe with spinach or romaine and red wine vinegar.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight, took one of those pork chops, slapped it on toasted sourdough with mayo, mustard, and slivered truffle parano.

Oh yes, my friends, ‘twas tasty.

Took another, this time buttering the sourdough and using a dijon mustard instead of yellow. Then I added a nice Swiss cheese and a thick layer of baby spinach.

Also quite tasty! ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve now done a third iteration of those pork chops as sandwiches- today’s was the sameas the last I posted, but with melted shredded Parmesan instead of Swiss.

Made Mom taste the Parmesan version...and therby caused her regret at her chosen lunch option.

I may have to see if I can find a boneless cut similar to what I’ve been using, just to make “sandwiching” them easier.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Did a salami and ham on toasted sourdough the other night. Had a layer of spinach and sliced tomatoes. I also used yellow mustard and red wine vinegar as the condiments, plus a liberal shaking of black oepper and thyme.

A keeper, to be sure. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve commented before about how there’s this one sandwich I only get to eat a few times a year, because it requires a rare ingredient: my maternal aunt’s baked ham. She glazes it with a mix of butter, brown sugar, strawberry preserves, and pineapple chunks. To slices of that ham, I add blue cheese, and a dusting of black pepper, served on toasted rosemary olive oil bread smeared with mayo and brown mustard.

Combined, you get a symphony of sweet, salty herbal and savory. It may be the most complex flavored sandwich I make.

But tonight, I tried an experiment. I made a vinaigrette of 3Tb olive oil, 1Tb spicy brown mustard, 1Tb honey, and 1/8 tsp each rosemary and black pepper. This I spread on toasted sourdough, then topped with Black Forest ham and some basic blue cheese.

Clearly, some of the flavors would be different or completely absent- honey doesn’t taste like butter mixed with brown sugar, and I had no fruit in there whatsoever- but I wanted to see if I could approximate the flavor of the original.

Because of the amount and consistency of the vinaigrette, I didn’t use any mayo at all. Too messy if I had.

The result was a surprise. Even with the altered and absent flavors, this was STILL a nice combination.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My dinner tonight was a generous layer of baby spinach on toasted sourdough with mayo and mustard, cracked black pepper, a Campari tomato, and shards of a creamy but firm blue cheese.

Yummeh!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of my go-to comfort foods, and I’m sure I’m not alone. We all know what our particular combo of breads & cheeses are. But occasionally, I like to branch out and try something a little different, just to see if I can find a more...adult? sophisticated?...take on a classic.

And today’s breakfast was one of those days.

I started with an onion roll, sliced & buttered. My cheeses were a nice provolone and Dietz & Watson steakhouse onion cheddar. I layered the cheddar between the slices of provolone, because I knew it would melt faster, encasing the cheddar.

The final twist was a generous smear of Maille Old Style mustard- one of those grainy style mustards- which has a more subtle flavor than a yellow, brown or Dijon.

The result was oniony (of course), cheesy (of course), gooey, and oh so slightly tangy. A winner!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I had an unusual breakfast sandwich this week.

Two soft boiled eggs, avocado, Alpha Tolman cheese, shakshuka sauce, in pita bread. Outstanding.

Remove ads