Doctor Who s8e10 - "In the Forest of the Night" [spoilers]

The BBC has been under a lot of pressure to cut budgets the last few years. This year, in particular, I'm noticing the reduced SFX budget. A couple of years ago the budget was much higher, and it showed.

Does this tend to yo-yo over time or are changes like this likely to be permanent? (our system seems to be totally different so just curious).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Does this tend to yo-yo over time or are changes like this likely to be permanent? (our system seems to be totally different so just curious).

Haven't the foggiest! My insider knowledge of the BBC is non-existent! I guess it's linked to current political winds and the economy and stuff.

delericho

Legend

It's politics, both internal to the BBC and nationally.

The biggest part of the BBC's funding comes from the license fee, which the government have frozen, and another chunk comes from government grants, which are also on a downturn. So, there's less money going into the BBC than a few years ago, and there may be more going in in future (or not).

Of course, in addition to how much money you have available there's also the question of how you spend it, and it looks like the current powers-that-be at BBC are less friendly to Doctor Who than their predecessors. And so the team get less money to make the show. A few years from now, once those powers get replaced with other ones, who knows?

(Incidentally, it's perhaps worth noting that the situation in 1989, when it was cancelled, was similar: the BBC budget was under pressure from the government, and also the internal regime was less-than-friendly towards the show.)

It's politics, both internal to the BBC and nationally.

The biggest part of the BBC's funding comes from the license fee, which the government have frozen, and another chunk comes from government grants, which are also on a downturn. So, there's less money going into the BBC than a few years ago, and there may be more going in in future (or not).

Of course, in addition to how much money you have available there's also the question of how you spend it, and it looks like the current powers-that-be at BBC are less friendly to Doctor Who than their predecessors. And so the team get less money to make the show. A few years from now, once those powers get replaced with other ones, who knows?

(Incidentally, it's perhaps worth noting that the situation in 1989, when it was cancelled, was similar: the BBC budget was under pressure from the government, and also the internal regime was less-than-friendly towards the show.)

And Michael Grade who was at the time BBC Controller remains to be the only person with that title not to be knighted...coincidence or not? You decide lol

delericho

Legend
It's almost heretical to say, but with the benefit of hindsight I actually agree that cancelling the series in 1989 was the right thing to do. Looking back at some of those last stories, the show was looking really tired, and the writing wasn't terribly good.

But also, crucially, there was a problem with FX - the show was up against things like "Star Trek TNG", and just didn't have the budget to compete. And so it looked really second-rate by comparison.

Taking the show off screen for a decade and a half allowed a new generation of writers to learn their craft and get ready, and also allowed CGI to develop to a point where the show could look good even on a (BBC) TV budget.

Nellisir

Hero
Taking the show off screen for a decade and a half allowed a new generation of writers to learn their craft and get ready, and also allowed CGI to develop to a point where the show could look good even on a (BBC) TV budget.

Yeah, but it kinda feels like it's falling behind again. They're not 1989 level, but I've seen better on "SyFy" back when I actually watched it, ten years ago. :/

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, but it kinda feels like it's falling behind again. They're not 1989 level, but I've seen better on "SyFy" back when I actually watched it, ten years ago. :/

Nah. There are plenty of modern shows with rubbish CGI. Man, that Terra Nova thing a couple of years back was cringeworthy, and it was touted as all big-budgety and Spielbergy. And the SFX last year (and for the preceding three years) was generally top-notch.

I get the impression that a lot of the SFX budget was saved for the finale. Then again, I don't think they use The Mill any more, so that may be part of it. There are plenty of good effects this year (and the TARDIS interior this year is enormous and gorgeous!)

delericho

Legend
I get the impression that a lot of the SFX budget was saved for the finale. Then again, I don't think they use The Mill any more, so that may be part of it. There are plenty of good effects this year (and the TARDIS interior this year is enormous and gorgeous!)

Agreed, especially about the budget being saved for the finale (and maybe that first episode also).

Janx

Hero
Haven't the foggiest! My insider knowledge of the BBC is non-existent! I guess it's linked to current political winds and the economy and stuff.

Doh!

You're supposed to be our man on the inside. The First B in the BBC.

Somebody who lives in country to tell us what's good on your TV for when it eventually gets to US.

I'm so disillusioned now.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Doh!

You're supposed to be our man on the inside. The First B in the BBC.

Somebody who lives in country to tell us what's good on your TV for when it eventually gets to US.

I'm so disillusioned now.

I think you're mistaking me for George Orwell or someone. I sadly do not know everything about everything which happens in this country. I don't even know my next door neighbours, let alone anyone who works at the BBC! :D

Remove ads