Doctor Who s8e10 - "Dark Water" [spoilers]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting:

The BBC has defended the dark themes of its most recent Doctor Who storyline after complaints from some viewers.

Saturday night’s edition of the show – the first of a two-part climax to the series – saw the Doctor and sidekick Clara Oswald caught up a plot dealing with the afterlife, which then led into an invasion of earth by the Cybermen.

In the episode, Clara’s boyfriend Danny appeared to have been killed in a car accident and viewers heard references to how the bodies of the dead could feel the pain of being cremated.

In a response to the complaints, the BBC said it was stated within the episode that some of theories about the afterlife could be “distressing” and later proved to be a “con”. And it said the themes were considered to be “appropriate”.

In a statement, the BBC said: “Doctor Who is a family drama with a long tradition of tackling some of the more fundamental questions about life and death. We were mindful of the themes explored in Dark Water and are confident that they are appropriate in the context of the heightened sci-fi world of the show.

“The scene in which a character reveals 3W’s unconventional theory about the afterlife was preceded by the same character warning the Doctor and Clara several times that what they were about to hear could be distressing.

“When the Doctor does hear these claims, he immediately pours scorn on them, dismissing them out of hand as a ‘con’ and a ‘racket’. It transpires that he is correct, and the entire concept is revealed to be a scam perpetrated by Missy.”

The storyline reaches its conclusion on Saturday.

MarkB

Legend
Interesting yes, but also rather revealing of next week's episode. Perhaps a link or sblock with an appropriate warning would have been more appropriate.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting yes, but also rather revealing of next week's episode. Perhaps a link or sblock with an appropriate warning would have been more appropriate.

They were only taking about last week. There are no references to next week.

MarkB

Legend
They were only taking about last week. There are no references to next week.

BBC Article said:
“When the Doctor does hear these claims, he immediately pours scorn on them, dismissing them out of hand as a ‘con’ and a ‘racket’. It transpires that he is correct, and the entire concept is revealed to be a scam perpetrated by Missy.”

As of the end of last Saturday's episode, it was still very unclear how much of the concept was a scam, to the extent that we have spent the majority of this thread speculating upon that very subject.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As of the end of last Saturday's episode, it was still very unclear how much of the concept was a scam, to the extent that we have spent the majority of this thread speculating upon that very subject.

The BBC feels it was clear from the episode it was a scam. I agree that wasn't as obvious as maybe they think it is, but that's a clarification of the episode, not a spoiler for next week's. Just highlights a bit of poor editing or scripting, I guess. The BBC isn't in the habit of giving major spoilers to major newspapers.

MarkB

Legend
The BBC feels it was clear from the episode it was a scam. I agree that wasn't as obvious as maybe they think it is, but that's a clarification of the episode, not a spoiler for next week's. Just highlights a bit of poor editing or scripting, I guess. The BBC isn't in the habit of giving major spoilers to major newspapers.

The way I read it, they were intent upon reassuring viewers that the "dead are still conscious" concept wasn't true, even within the fiction of the series, and they put that ahead of concern over spoilers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The way I read it, they were intent upon reassuring viewers that the "dead are still conscious" concept wasn't true, even within the fiction of the series, and they put that ahead of concern over spoilers.

The episode was explicitly clear that it wasn't the afterlife but Missy uploading minds into a Time Lord hard drive (called the Nethersphere) and then downloading them to new Cyberman bodies.

It's not a spoiler.

Now, let's get back to discussing the episode!

Remove ads