• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 7 Legitimate Beefs with Hoard of the Dragon Queen

evilbob

Explorer
Yes, the OP's link is busted. (Thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for the re-post! That turned out to be even more helpful.)

It seems like a lot of the issues with this adventure have been summed up with the idea that it's really, really hard to set expectations when you're dealing with a mass-market product. Different DMs expect different things and unless you're super-explicit you will definitely disappoint some people. Not being incredibly overt about challenging battles, not being specific enough that "DM fiat" is a very necessary part of running this adventure, not being even more blatant about the idea that you can and should skip over some things offered depending on your group's size / composition... It's tough to do all those things and then also stay under pagecount while delivering a coherent adventure. And then throw in some random poor edits and the rules shift under your feet, and it ends with lots of complaint threads. (Not to mention the idea brought up that 4.0 players would almost definitely expect a more explicit series of encounters and the entire idea of skipping and handwaving might be more new to them.)

In some ways this is almost a positive since the idea that so many new perspectives are coming to view this product means 5.0 must be doing well! :) But in the end, there is a huge area between "sandbox" and "everything is scripted" and you just have to do the best you can.

aramis erak

Legend
Thanks for posting that, Liane! With the help of the Wayback Machine, I was able to locate one follow-up article as well:

13 Tips (and 1 Map) for Running Hoard of the Dragon Queen
The map: http://web.archive.org/web/20150713012253/http://i.imgur.com/d9zL6Za.jpg

Mr. Miller makes one egregiously false claim in that one:
If that sounds like too much work, there is no rule in the Adventurer's League Player's Guide that restricts a Dungeon Master from using the milestone experience rule in a game.​
THe fact that (in season 1) the milestone experience rule is not in the PHB prohibited it in season 1 (season 1, only the PHB was allowed, and then barring rolled attributes and rolled hitpoints). (Milestone experience is in the DMG.) Seasons 2 and 3 also do not allow the DMG rules options.

Awesome thanks, for the repost! I thought it was just me that found some issues with the story, but then again nothing too major a DM could "fill in the blanks" needed to make everything a little smoother!

Remove ads